Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape Photography Locations => Topic started by: Gel on April 09, 2015, 11:01:47 am

Title: Sun altitude in Iceland during the month of June
Post by: Gel on April 09, 2015, 11:01:47 am
So I booked Iceland, me, the 645z and a 4x4.

I'm trying to be smart about time for photography. I know the sun never really sets but I'm having trouble finding the altitude info for the midnight sun in June. Part of me, the smart bit, is saying I should shoot late at night, very early morning (i.e. 10pm to 4am) to get the best light and contrast for landscapes.

But is this correct? (Plus I'm trying to rule out tourists in the more popular places)
Title: Re: Sun altitude in Iceland during the month of June
Post by: Jimbo57 on April 09, 2015, 11:06:44 am
You won't get true midnight sun in Iceland (you need to go north of the Arctic Circle for that) but, basically, yes - late evening and early morning will give you the longest shadows and a wide range of light conditions (dependent upon weather, obviously). Probably best to plan to sleep from 8:00am - 4:00pm.
Title: Re: Sun altitude in Iceland during the month of June
Post by: Gel on April 09, 2015, 11:11:17 am
The Melatonin is on order.
Title: Re: Sun altitude in Iceland during the month of June
Post by: JayWPage on April 09, 2015, 11:27:47 am
You might find the Photographer's Ephemeris (http://photoephemeris.com/) useful for planning your trip.
Title: Re: Sun altitude in Iceland during the month of June
Post by: patrick love on April 12, 2015, 05:48:33 am
It sounds like we'll be there at the same time.  I have an RV rented, and I'll be going around the island from June 14-26.  I'll be on the lookout for a guy with a Pentax MF.
Title: Re: Sun altitude in Iceland during the month of June
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 12, 2015, 09:25:38 am
I was there at that time of year many years ago, and the "golden light" period was from about 4 pm to about 11:45 pm and then again from about 12:30 am to maybe 10 am. But the light was interesting pretty much all day, in all kinds of weather, too.