Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Mjollnir on April 07, 2015, 06:52:19 pm

Title: Non-iconic Yosemite #1: Chamber of Ribbon Falls
Post by: Mjollnir on April 07, 2015, 06:52:19 pm
I've been going to Yosemite since I was two, and having started looking at it as a photographer for the past six years or so.  I try to get the conditions to make interesting shots of the non-iconic edifices, walls, spires, etc... whenever I can, since another shot of El Cap, Bridalveil, Tunnel View, etc... isn't what anyone needs.

The chamber of Ribbon Falls has always fascinated me, esp. in Winter, and someday I'm going to find the time to be one of the seemingly few who hike up there with the intent of a serious attempt at shooting it. Q.T. Luong has, and has made some really interesting shots, but he's the only one I know of.

Taken last a few weekends ago when, while we didn't get much snow (or any in the Valley proper), there were some glorious combinations of light, shadow and angles that seemed to stick around the entire day. Liking the GH4 more and more and actually more than I had ever expected to. Pixel Peeping brings out great clarity in shadowed areas and almost no appreciable noise (yet).

Grinding my teeth right now since I'm at work in L.A., and it's dumping snow all across Yosemite Valley.  Sigh.

(https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8587/16704539762_4723656c8a_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/rs88Gf)Chamber of Ribbon Falls #2 (1 of 1) (https://flic.kr/p/rs88Gf) by tanngrisnir3 (https://www.flickr.com/people/87368247@N00/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Non-iconic Yosemite #1: Chamber of Ribbon Falls
Post by: kers on April 07, 2015, 06:59:50 pm
Beautiful piece of rock !
and good to see some other views than the usual...
Title: Re: Non-iconic Yosemite #1: Chamber of Ribbon Falls
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 07, 2015, 10:07:43 pm
Beautiful piece of rock !
and good to see some other views than the usual...
+1.
Title: Re: Non-iconic Yosemite #1: Chamber of Ribbon Falls
Post by: luxborealis on April 07, 2015, 11:02:39 pm
Definite candidate for B&W, especially if the falling water can be separated more clearly from the rock face. Lots of potential here.
Title: Re: Non-iconic Yosemite #1: Chamber of Ribbon Falls
Post by: BernardLanguillier on April 08, 2015, 12:18:04 am
Nice and great potential indeed, thanks for sharing!

My initial reaction was that adding a bit of local contrast would probably help make the image pop a bit more and enhance the texture of the rocks.

This being said, what this image really needs is to be printed big.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Non-iconic Yosemite #1: Chamber of Ribbon Falls
Post by: Mjollnir on April 08, 2015, 02:10:43 pm
Thanks, everyone.

I'm considering a B&W conversion as well, but have another version of this from about 5' to my right that shows it in a different perspective that I'm working on right now.

And, yes, you're correct about possible over-exposure to frame right in the higher rock face.

Any suggestions about how to further isolate the waterfall would be appreciated.  All done (so far) in LR5 w/NIK.
Title: Re: Non-iconic Yosemite #1: Chamber of Ribbon Falls
Post by: BobDavid on April 08, 2015, 06:16:42 pm
Well done--I like the way the frame is roughly divided into three sections along the x-axis.