Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Roberto Frieri on April 05, 2015, 08:16:45 am

Title: Sketches of Garda
Post by: Roberto Frieri on April 05, 2015, 08:16:45 am
Hi to you all.
Just a couple of pictures from my portfolio "Sketches of Garda".
Title: Re: Sketches of Garda
Post by: RSL on April 05, 2015, 08:39:07 am
Very nice, Roberto, especially the first one with its barely visible hills in the background. Good shooting.
Title: Re: Sketches of Garda
Post by: luxborealis on April 05, 2015, 09:08:49 am
I'm enjoying both photographs, the first for the same reason as Russ and the second for its eye-catching perspective and graphic design qualities. I'm wondering, though, if the first would be strengthened by a square or squarish presentation with the boats slightly off-centre to create a more dynamic composition.
Title: Re: Sketches of Garda
Post by: Roberto Frieri on April 05, 2015, 02:56:02 pm
... especially the first one with its barely visible hills in the background...
Thank you Russ.
There was a magical silence and the sun, coming up, was dissolving the early morning fog.

... I'm wondering, though, if the first would be strengthened by a square or squarish presentation with the boats slightly off-centre to create a more dynamic composition.
Thank you Terry.
I have tried to follow your suggestion.
Title: Re: Sketches of Garda
Post by: luxborealis on April 06, 2015, 09:36:44 am
Thank you Russ.
There was a magical silence and the sun, coming up, was dissolving the early morning fog.
Thank you Terry.
I have tried to follow your suggestion.


Hmmmmm... I'll need to think on this.
Title: Re: Sketches of Garda
Post by: francois on April 07, 2015, 06:21:45 am
I think that I prefer the first version (uncroped).
Title: Re: Sketches of Garda
Post by: mbaginy on April 07, 2015, 06:50:41 am
I agree with Francois.  Though I very often like square images, I prefer the first image.

In this case, the square format tends to constrain the surfers, the original image offers them freedom of space.

While Hasselblad used to suggest, "think square", this is an instance where I'd have used a 4.5 x 6 film back.