Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Tony Jay on April 04, 2015, 08:06:17 am

Title: Stormy Afternoon
Post by: Tony Jay on April 04, 2015, 08:06:17 am
Another image reflecting my preoccupation with weather and weather events.
As with a lot of the eastern Australian coastline this image was shot in northern New South Wales just today reflecting the stormy weather along the coast.
Thoughts and comments appreciated as always!

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Stormy Afternoon
Post by: wmchauncey on April 05, 2015, 08:36:16 am
After looking at your image Tony, let me tell you what I wanted to see...more water and less rocky shore.
The colors in the water are great...a different perspective might have worked better.
Title: Re: Stormy Afternoon
Post by: stamper on April 05, 2015, 08:46:50 am
The overexposure in the wave is the first thing that catches the eye. It would be possible to add some detail to make this a fine image.
Title: Re: Stormy Afternoon
Post by: RSL on April 05, 2015, 09:14:35 am
I think the horizon line is okay at a bit more than a third from the top. I agree with Stamper that the breaking wave crest is a bit blown. On the other hand, I'd hate to see the highlights in that wave disappear. It's a fine shot, Tony.
Title: Re: Stormy Afternoon
Post by: David Eckels on April 05, 2015, 10:12:29 am
I think it is a lovely shot, love the colors in the rocks, the water, and the sky. Can't tell whether the wave is blown or not; I see subtle highlight detail and I agree with Russ that you wouldn't want to lose those. Compositionally, the rocks are really "in your face" and to me that's artist's prerogative. If it was me (I can hear Russ groaning), I'd consider a 1x2 AR. Dragging the pop out of the image past the bottom of my screen cuts some of the massiveness of the rocks and provides some balance to my eye. YMMV. I'd hang this on my wall either way.
Title: Re: Stormy Afternoon
Post by: RSL on April 05, 2015, 12:17:09 pm
Groan, groan. . .
Title: Re: Stormy Afternoon
Post by: Tony Jay on April 05, 2015, 06:13:03 pm
Thanks for the input gentlemen!

The wave is not actually blown although some detail appears to have been lost in the creation of the JPEG version.
FWIW I have made subtle adjustments to said wave that probably brings out a little more detail.

I am a cropper (anathema to some I know) and David's suggestion is an option that I will look at. If it works it works, if not...

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Stormy Afternoon
Post by: Tony Jay on April 05, 2015, 06:18:20 pm
Here is a revision incorporating some of the suggestions:

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Stormy Afternoon
Post by: stamper on April 06, 2015, 03:50:57 am
Yes! This is what I had in mind. The small addition of "detail" makes a big difference. :)
Title: Re: Stormy Afternoon
Post by: David Eckels on April 06, 2015, 08:34:24 am
Yes! This is what I had in mind. The small addition of "detail" makes a big difference. :)
What about the crop? ;)
Title: Re: Stormy Afternoon
Post by: William Walker on April 06, 2015, 08:53:22 am
Here is a revision incorporating some of the suggestions:

Tony Jay
I prefer this one Tony.
Title: Re: Stormy Afternoon
Post by: RSL on April 06, 2015, 09:20:41 am
I don't agree. I like the fact that though the blowout is gone, detail in the wave has been preserved, but I think you need to decide whether this picture is about rocks in front of a lowering sky or about a lowering sky in front of rocks. In the first version emphasis was on the rocks. In this version we've moved the horizon to dead center in the frame. Now the emphasis is split. It's a case of dissociative identity disorder. It's a subtle thing, but I think that in landscape (or seascape) it matters.
Title: Re: Stormy Afternoon
Post by: luxborealis on April 06, 2015, 09:34:54 am
I don't agree. I like the fact that though the blowout is gone, detail in the wave has been preserved, but I think you need to decide whether this picture is about rocks in front of a lowering sky or about a lowering sky in front of rocks. In the first version emphasis was on the rocks. In this version we've moved the horizon to dead center in the frame. Now the emphasis is split. It's a case of dissociative identity disorder. It's a subtle thing, but I think that in landscape (or seascape) it matters.

+1
Title: Re: Stormy Afternoon
Post by: stamper on April 06, 2015, 10:19:31 am
What about the crop? ;)

My post was purely aimed at the wave however I think Russ hits the nail on the head. Is the image about the rocks? I think so and the crop alters the image in a way that isn't helpful.
Title: Re: Stormy Afternoon
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 06, 2015, 01:49:26 pm
Russ nails it. No crop on this one, but keep the detail.
Title: Re: Stormy Afternoon
Post by: Tony Jay on April 06, 2015, 06:32:28 pm
I agree that the crop is problematic for the reasons advanced.
The world is full of compromises and this images demonstrates certain conundrums.
A couple of posters wanted more ocean in the shot - it would have been nice to able to be about ten foot up but that was an impossible perspective.
In fact the point from which I shot that image (and several others) wasn't that safe either.

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Stormy Afternoon
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 06, 2015, 07:34:49 pm
Did you try levitating?   :D
Title: Re: Stormy Afternoon
Post by: Tony Jay on April 06, 2015, 07:51:54 pm
Did you try levitating?   :D
Levitating is less of an issue than the lack of a controlled landing afterwards!!

Tony Jay