Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: Dave Gurtcheff on April 03, 2015, 03:15:19 pm

Title: In praise of the Tamron 24~70 f2.8 VC lens
Post by: Dave Gurtcheff on April 03, 2015, 03:15:19 pm
Hello all:
I have nothing to do with Tamron, but their newer VC lenses are superbly sharp, and the VC is wonderful. I am constantly amazed how sharp the 24~70 is at the wide end, where I use it most. Ditto for the VERY inexpensive Tamron 70~300mm VC. Here is a relatively new image. I had never printed it before, but today I got a print order for a 20"x30". Shot at ISO 400, 1/100 sec, f13. Nikon D800E, shot in RAW. I used Photokit Sharpener for capture sharpening, then Blow Up 2 to size it at 360 dpi, 20"x30", then used Photokit output sharpening before printing on an Epson 7890. I cannot describe how razor sharp the big print is!
I own Sony, Sony/Zeiss, Nikon and Zeiss ZF glass, as well as a Pentax 645D and Pentax lenses, and the Tamrons hold their own superbly. I am an Amateur, so build quality and ruggedness are a secondary concern for me, but the 24~70 seems to be pretty rugged.
Thanks for looking.
Dave in NJ
Title: Re: In praise of the Tamron 24~70 f2.8 VC lens
Post by: Dave Gurtcheff on April 03, 2015, 03:22:03 pm
Hello all:
I have nothing to do with Tamron, but their newer VC lenses are superbly sharp, and the VC is wonderful. I am constantly amazed how sharp the 24~70 is at the wide end, where I use it most. Ditto for the VERY inexpensive Tamron 70~300mm VC. Here is a relatively new image. I had never printed it before, but today I got a print order for a 20"x30". Shot at ISO 400, 1/100 sec, f13. Nikon D800E, shot in RAW. I used Photokit Sharpener for capture sharpening, then Blow Up 2 to size it at 360 dpi, 20"x30", then used Photokit output sharpening before printing on an Epson 7890. I cannot describe how razor sharp the big print is!
I own Sony, Sony/Zeiss, Nikon and Zeiss ZF glass, as well as a Pentax 645D and Pentax lenses, and the Tamrons hold their own superbly. I am an Amateur, so build quality and ruggedness are a secondary concern for me, but the 24~70 seems to be pretty rugged.
Thanks for looking.
Dave in NJ

FORGOT TO POST THE PICTURE....78 years old, and it shows!!!
Dave

Title: Re: In praise of the Tamron 24~70 f2.8 VC lens
Post by: BernardLanguillier on April 05, 2015, 07:55:47 am
Thanks for sharing your experiences with the Tamron, it's a very interesting option.

Cheers,
Bernard