Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Chairman Bill on March 29, 2015, 04:58:16 pm

Title: The White House
Post by: Chairman Bill on March 29, 2015, 04:58:16 pm
C&C welcome

Title: Re: The White House
Post by: RSL on March 29, 2015, 06:57:58 pm
Now THAT's landscape. Very nice, Bill. Bravo!
Title: Re: The White House
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 29, 2015, 07:12:47 pm
Now THAT's landscape. Very nice, Bill. Bravo!
I agree.
Nicely processed.
Title: Re: The White House
Post by: David Eckels on March 29, 2015, 09:00:47 pm
I really like the atmosphere, composition, and tones in this and I love where it's headed. I do have to say, however, that there is a halo (perhaps due to a local adjustment?) around the house that I think should be tightened. Lighten the wall of the house, but not the surrounding background. I also believe the shadows seem blocked to some extent, but this can be hard to evaluate on an sRGB/JPEG down-res in my experience. Those nitpicks aside, I think it terrific. To assuage Russ' fears, I would NOT crop it ;)
Title: Re: The White House
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on March 29, 2015, 09:13:56 pm
I addition to what Dave said (both pluses and minuses), I'd wish there is slightly more on the left, and slightly less on the right, so that the house is not dead centered and the leftmost white cloud has some breathing space. I realize that could have been done only at the time of exposure though, so it is just a food for thought in similar situations.
Title: Re: The White House
Post by: sdwilsonsct on March 29, 2015, 09:31:58 pm
The sky's the thing.
Title: Re: The White House
Post by: William Walker on March 30, 2015, 04:10:17 am
I addition to what Dave said (both pluses and minuses), I'd wish there is slightly more on the left, and slightly less on the right, so that the house is not dead centered and the leftmost white cloud has some breathing space. I realize that could have been done only at the time of exposure though, so it is just a food for thought in similar situations.

Other than that, wonderful! I like the processing. Not a "symphony of grey" to further quote Slobodan from way back!
Title: Re: The White House
Post by: Chairman Bill on March 30, 2015, 06:25:44 am
Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated
Title: Re: The White House
Post by: RSL on March 30, 2015, 01:44:33 pm
Technical nitpicking aside, it's exactly what landscape should be, and usually isn't. It's not trying to transmit knowledge; it's transmitting an experience.
Title: Re: The White House
Post by: David Eckels on March 30, 2015, 02:09:03 pm
Technical nitpicking aside, it's exactly what landscape should be, and usually isn't. It's not trying to transmit knowledge; it's transmitting an experience.
+1
Title: Re: The White House
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 30, 2015, 03:39:35 pm
Technical nitpicking aside, it's exactly what landscape should be, and usually isn't. It's not trying to transmit knowledge; it's transmitting an experience.
And +2.
Title: Re: The White House
Post by: Chris Calohan on March 30, 2015, 07:36:03 pm
And +3
Title: Re: The White House
Post by: BobDavid on March 31, 2015, 12:39:53 am
Well done. I would love to see it as a print.
Title: Re: The White House
Post by: stamper on March 31, 2015, 04:57:19 am
I put off commenting on the image till the technical deficiencies had been spotted. I like it and it is a fine image. :)