Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Tony Jay on March 28, 2015, 06:05:07 am
-
Another interesting shot for comment and perusal.
Tony Jay
-
Have you printed this? It looks like a hundred-year old picture. As a single image it caught my eye. It's easy to imagine a set or series of germane subjects using the same PP technique.
-
Very nice processing. It does remind me of a photo from days gone by.
-
OK. I am going to say what I think even though I know Stamper and Russ will probably disagree ;D
I really like the mood of this. Can't make up my mind on the toning or if it's just the color on a dirty, dusty, windy day. In the end, I believe the toning fits the mood nicely. It's a shot that I would have liked to have taken myself. That being said, yes, I would crop :o, just to the left of the darkest tree/bush on the left. I would also take away part of the featureless sky, putting the tree line just over the upper third "line" in the frame. That changes the mood somewhat, to me, and maybe for you too much. I suppose you could make an argument for the use of the negative space (?) in the sky, but I am not sure. Anyway, that's what I would do.
But then I think about all the comments in the last few days and I say, "If you like it, it's fine as is!" ;)
Modification: Yes, I agree with the previous comments on the "antique" look and think it fits nicely with the subject.
-
Hi Tony
The processing certainly evokes the feel of the veld.
I had one of my toughest days not far from there at a place called Oshivelo - 50 deg C and being chased around by a Lieutenant half my age! We were doing "fire and movement" (fire, forward ten meters, drop down, fire, move forward etc etc)
If the guy next to me didn't drop from heat exhaustion I would surely have been next!
This picture could have been taken that day! No other features - just bush like that everywhere.
William
-
Lovely as-is. And refreshing, visually.
-
Lovely as-is. And refreshing, visually.
I agree.
-
Thanks for all the comments so far.
A little detail about this image.
Apart from a small crop the only edits to this image are tonal.
The image was shot in the middle of a huge thunderstorm, the first of the season in mid-November 2013, in Etosha. The strange sepia tone of the image was a combination of the falling rain as well as the large amounts of powdered limestone dust being thrown into the air by the impact of large raindrops hitting bone dry ground. The result is what you see!
Tony Jay
-
Lovely as-is. And refreshing, visually.
Had to study it for a while, but I'd tend to agree.
-
That description makes the image all the more interesting, to me. For visual appeal it stands on its own, but knowing that what we are seeing is what you saw also takes it into the realm of fascinating documentary.
-
Late to the game as usual but I enjoy this shot for its emotional content. Tempest indeed.
Chuck
-
Great image.
Not sure what it is (subject matter, composition, processing) but there's something that makes me feel like I'm there (even though I wasn't). Really powerful stuff.
-
A fresh take on something classic.
Nice.