Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: stamper on March 24, 2015, 08:09:55 am

Title: Together
Post by: stamper on March 24, 2015, 08:09:55 am
Which one, I can't make up my mind and which direction are they going in? Away or towards?
Title: Re: Together
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on March 24, 2015, 08:27:51 am
Going away, judging by the man's glasses. Color adds extra dimension, "walking into the sunset."
Title: Re: Together
Post by: RSL on March 24, 2015, 08:35:11 am
Slobodan's right on the money, Stamper. This is a picture that grabs your emotions and color makes its grip even tighter.

I love it. Bravo!
Title: Re: Together
Post by: stamper on March 24, 2015, 08:52:54 am
It wasn't till I processed the image that I actually noticed the direction they were going in. I will divulge later. :D
Title: Re: Together
Post by: armand on March 24, 2015, 08:54:41 am
Looking at the thumbnails I prefer the bw, enlarged I'm not so sure.
Bw feels stronger and makes me focus only on the 2 people and their relationship, the color takes away that tension and adds a little mood (shifts the focus from their interaction to their destination). I guess it depends on what you are trying to get across with this one.
Title: Re: Together
Post by: seamus finn on March 24, 2015, 08:55:54 am
Yes, colour for me too.
Title: Re: Together
Post by: RSL on March 24, 2015, 09:35:04 am
They're not going away. They're walking toward us. The man's left foot tells the story.
Title: Re: Together
Post by: armand on March 24, 2015, 10:34:27 am
They're not going away. They're walking toward us.

I initially saw it on an iPad in a sunny place and it looked as if they walking away.
His eyeglasses looked as if he was looking away.

Quote
The man's left food tells the story.

It's probably more interesting to know she's talking on her cell.
Title: Re: Together
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 24, 2015, 12:46:54 pm
They're not going away. They're walking toward us. The man's left foot tells the story.
Or is it his right foot?

Either way, a fine shot. The body language of the two of them is so expressive that I prefer the B&W. The color is nice, but a little distracting.

To me it feels as if they are walking away. Glasses and foot can be read in either direction.
Title: Re: Together
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on March 24, 2015, 12:51:40 pm
SPOILER ALERT: they are coming toward us (exposure/shadow sliders reveal). And she is talking on the cell. So much for the romantic moment of "walking toward sunset."  :)
Title: Re: Together
Post by: armand on March 24, 2015, 12:52:19 pm
Or is it his right foot?

Either way, a fine shot. The body language of the two of them is so expressive that I prefer the B&W. The color is nice, but a little distracting.

To me it feels as if they are walking away. Glasses and foot can be read in either direction.


I could have sworn they are going away until I downloaded on the desktop and increased the brightness. That also allowed me to see she's talking on her cell.
Title: Re: Together
Post by: RSL on March 24, 2015, 03:13:25 pm
Or is it his right foot?

Not unless his right foot is at least a foot wide.
Title: Re: Together
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on March 24, 2015, 05:12:19 pm
How to ruin the mystery and destroy the romanticism: push the exposure slider to the right!

I prefer the colour version, with ambiguity retained.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Together
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on March 24, 2015, 05:25:33 pm
How to ruin the mystery and destroy the romanticism...

Hey, she was on the phone, don't blame me ;)
Title: Re: Together
Post by: RSL on March 24, 2015, 06:50:58 pm
Nowadays when you see two people walking "together" you can bet one of them is on the phone.
Title: Re: Together
Post by: stamper on March 25, 2015, 05:59:54 am
SPOILER ALERT: they are coming toward us (exposure/shadow sliders reveal). And she is talking on the cell. So much for the romantic moment of "walking toward sunset."  :)

Correct they are walking forwards. As stated I thought initially they were walking away. Prior to taking the image I had indulged in a nice Chinese meal, red wine and a nice brandy. The blacks in the image make the ambiguity and a good image should have ambiguity as a feature? :)