Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: fcicconi on March 23, 2015, 10:40:11 am

Title: PHASE ONE A series
Post by: fcicconi on March 23, 2015, 10:40:11 am
Hallo,

anyone have tested the new phase one A series?
is veri nice and very light and portable!
BUT:
I've an iQ 260.
I think it's only for landscape or architectural pictures...isn't it?
If I need make a portrait is impossible. How is possible make a focus at f4.0?

I think that phase one is out of the reality... They play doesn't work every day...

Thank you.
My best
Title: Re: PHASE ONE A series
Post by: Doug Peterson on March 23, 2015, 11:07:07 am
Phase One A Series Review by our tech Josh Epperson (https://digitaltransitions.com/blog/dt-blog/phase-one-a-series-in-january)
Phase One A Series Diary by Doug Peterson (me) (https://digitaltransitions.com/blog/dt-blog/road-diary-phase-one-a-series)

If your main need is portrait photography then the A Series is probably not the best fit for your needs.

That said, it is possible. And if you're not under client stress or delivery deadlines there is (to me) a certain enjoyment and freedom in it's lack of normal composition/focus aids.

Here is a shot from a wedding I attended as a guest. If I was the main photographer I would not have carried the A Series, but as a guest it was fun to have along for the day.
(https://digitaltransitions.com/images/upload/aseries/P19_209-ASeries.jpg)

If someone is interested primarily in landscape/architecture I'd normally suggest something with a larger variety of relevant features like one of it's big-brothers in the Alpa line or an Arca tech camera (https://digitaltransitions.com/page/arca-swiss) or Cambo tech camera (https://digitaltransitions.com/page/cambo-cameras). An Arca Swiss RM3Di (https://digitaltransitions.com/page/arca-swiss) for instance would add:
- rise/fall built in for every lens
- tilt and swing built in for every lens
- optional ground glass
- optional electronic leaf shutter lens
- optional focal plane shutter
- significantly increased helical precision
- optional coupled distance finder
- optional numeric DOF read out, matched to the resolution of back used