Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: disneytoy on March 19, 2015, 05:20:02 pm

Title: General Framing Advice: Supplies
Post by: disneytoy on March 19, 2015, 05:20:02 pm
Okay gang,

Getting ready to frame 25 pieces. 30x40ish and 40x60ish. As per my other discussion will mount to 3mm PVC and float in a frame. Masonite on the back.

Since I must mail order all my supplies,

What size D-rings would be good for these sizes? I won't be using glass, but may use plexi.

Also locally I can only get small amounts of wire (lowes etc). I want to order a large spool. What weight, guage wire should be good for these sizes?

I think I have a good purchase list of everything I need.

Thanks

Maxi

Title: Re: General Framing Advice: Supplies
Post by: Justan on March 20, 2015, 12:36:26 am
Check out this group. They have most everything and one of the better online catalogues, plus skilled sales folk with real ny accents...... http://www.unitedmfrscatalog.com
Title: Re: General Framing Advice: Supplies
Post by: Jglaser757 on March 20, 2015, 11:18:03 am
Check out this group. They have most everything and one of the better online catalogues, plus skilled sales folk with real ny accents...... http://www.unitedmfrscatalog.com


Thanks for the link,,great find!
Title: Re: General Framing Advice: Supplies
Post by: framah on March 20, 2015, 01:22:49 pm
Yep, United will work for you, but personally, I wouldn't use a D ring. I would use a hanger plate with 2 holes for screws.
Get their catalog and look on page 2. There you will find these double screw plates #4189, or art the least, use the 3 hole D rings and set them vertically on the frame so they can hang without wire.

If you want to use wire, I suggest going to page 21 and look at the Eagle Klaw system. Strong wire, and sleeves (minimum of 2 per side) you crimp to hold it in place. Been using them for most of my 22 years framing.

Don't forget to add vertical support in the middle of  the frame to keep the frame from sagging. Important at the 40x60 size.
Title: Re: General Framing Advice: Supplies
Post by: disneytoy on March 20, 2015, 01:39:11 pm
Thanks Frameh, I was looking for real world experience:-) I may be using Polystyrene frame molding, and the single hole D-ring was recommended to allow the ring to move?

May be a newbee question but how would you recommend adding support on the back for the 40x60?

Thanks

Maxi
Title: Re: General Framing Advice: Supplies
Post by: Ronny Nilsen on March 20, 2015, 02:05:54 pm
For hanging frames this system seems promising:

http://beehivepicturehangers.com/ (http://beehivepicturehangers.com/?page_id=9)

Theys have just completed a kickstarter (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1005351285/beehive-picture-hangers) campaign for this and I ordered some. Seems to be a nice way to hang the frame on the wall.

Ronny
Title: Re: General Framing Advice: Supplies
Post by: disneytoy on March 20, 2015, 04:28:15 pm
I'm on a budget, so I just need what is standard and cost effective for up to a 40x60 with plexi.

Thanks..

Title: Re: General Framing Advice: Supplies
Post by: Justan on March 20, 2015, 04:35:43 pm
Quote
…look at the Eagle Klaw system.

I'll 2nd that comment. Used these for the first time on my last batch. Saves minutes per frame and about 8” of wire. The time savings really adds up and even more importantly they cause far less hand strain.

Title: Re: General Framing Advice: Supplies
Post by: bill t. on March 20, 2015, 08:00:32 pm
For those 40 x 60 frames be sure to calculate the weight of the plex and masonite and artwork, and only then select a type of frame and mounting scheme.

Also, be sure to evaluate the weight trade offs for different thicknesses and types of plex, balanced against your estimate of a tolerable amount of funhouse-mirror-like reflections from warping.  If you want to use anti-reflection plex, evaluate its visual effects when placed at different distances from the artwork surface.

Defer making your bulk materials purchases until after you have assembled a single prototype, which will help you understand many things including the problems associated with plex that is pinched even slightly by whatever is supporting it, and problems with flexure in the overall package, and issues with your hanging scheme including inadequate bracing.  And a lot more.  Be sure to evaluate the prototype in your intended installation location with all the lights turned on.  And while there, consider whether or not a plex cover and a masonite backing were good concepts to begin with.

If that seems too much, then hire a framer which will be cheaper than getting your fanny wupped by newby mistakes made several times over.