Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Mirrorless Cameras => Topic started by: Paulo Bizarro on March 19, 2015, 04:51:38 am

Title: Sony A7II plus Leica M Tele Elmarit 90 f2.8
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on March 19, 2015, 04:51:38 am
I recently got this lens as an option for a short tele. I did a lot of research, and ended up finding a good deal on ebay. The lens is most likely older than I am, but it is in very good condition. Results are very good. These are just some shots taken in and around the house, including my cat:)

As an aside, I can say it is my very first Leica lens too! I am now looking into wide angle options for landscape work, and I have narrowed it down to a short list, including the Leica Elmarit R 24 f2.8. Will see.

Regards.
Title: Re: Sony A7II plus Leica M Tele Elmarit 90 f2.8
Post by: Herbc on March 19, 2015, 10:07:13 am
you will be happy with it.  I shot some action shots at a Rollergirls event with mine, got some good keepers, two I entered in a show.
Title: Re: Sony A7II plus Leica M Tele Elmarit 90 f2.8
Post by: Jim Kasson on March 19, 2015, 10:30:54 am
I recently got this lens as an option for a short tele. I did a lot of research, and ended up finding a good deal on ebay. The lens is most likely older than I am, but it is in very good condition. Results are very good. These are just some shots taken in and around the house, including my cat:)

Congratulations! For folks seeking other alternatives, the Zeiss 85mm f/4 Tele-Tessar ZM is a great lens on the a7x. It's sharp, small, and not too dear:

http://blog.kasson.com/?p=9132

Jim
Title: Re: Sony A7II plus Leica M Tele Elmarit 90 f2.8
Post by: Jim Kasson on March 19, 2015, 10:36:28 am

 I am now looking into wide angle options for landscape work, and I have narrowed it down to a short list, including the Leica Elmarit R 24 f2.8. Will see.


I would expect that lens to work well on the a7x cameras. The Leica Elmarit R 28 f2.8 v1 certainly does:

http://blog.kasson.com/?p=8521

The v2 should bee even better, but it's pricy.

The 24mm Elmarit M does not work well. The 24mm Elmar-M ASPH works well on the a7s, but needs to e stopped down to f/11 to get good corners on the a7R.

Jim

Jim
Title: Re: Sony A7II plus Leica M Tele Elmarit 90 f2.8
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on March 19, 2015, 12:46:04 pm
Thanks Jim, that is helpful information. If in the near future I decide to go "all Sony", I will need a landscape lens between 21-24mm. I am really hoping Zeiss to release such a lens in the Loxia line, in the meantime the Leica would have to do:)
Title: Re: Sony A7II plus Leica M Tele Elmarit 90 f2.8
Post by: Telecaster on March 19, 2015, 05:04:10 pm
The 1970s four-element version of the 90mm Tele-Elmarit is the first lens I ever bought, with money earned from mowing lawns, trimming shrubs & pruning trees. (My dad threw in a few $$ too.) Still have it. It's tiny, light and continues to hang in there well against modern competition.

I've attached a pic taken with the lens last summer on a Leica M8.2. Part of an infrared experiment.

-Dave-
Title: Re: Sony A7II plus Leica M Tele Elmarit 90 f2.8
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on March 20, 2015, 04:59:43 am
Good image, soft but detailed at the same time.
Title: Re: Sony A7II plus Leica M Tele Elmarit 90 f2.8
Post by: Telecaster on March 20, 2015, 05:40:27 pm
Good image, soft but detailed at the same time.

Thanks…the photo is a result of testing to find the best IR focus offset with a 720nm filter, the lens wide open and the day lily ~1m away. Not exactly the lens' intended purpose! I used the whole ISO range too (the posted pic is at 1250) as it was kinda windy. The thing I notice about 1970s Leitz lenses, rangefinder and SLR, is their tonal clarity relative to most other lenses I own from the same period. My A series Pentax 100/2.8, for example, is every bit as sharp as the Tele-Elmarit on my A7r but its color balance is warmer compared with the Leitz to the point of looking a bit muddy. Early-ish Nikkors go in the other direction, toward being cool, which IMO works better than a warm balance with sensor-based cameras.

-Dave-