Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Rajan Parrikar on March 16, 2015, 01:58:04 am

Title: Sandstorm, Death Valley
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on March 16, 2015, 01:58:04 am
Sandstorm (http://blog.parrikar.com/2015/03/16/sandstorm-in-death-valley/) in Death Valley.

Title: Re: Sandstorm, Death Valley
Post by: bns on March 16, 2015, 04:01:20 am
Beautiful layers!

Cheers,
Boudewijn Swanenburg
Title: Re: Sandstorm, Death Valley
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on March 16, 2015, 04:48:21 am
Wonderful lines and light.
Title: Re: Sandstorm, Death Valley
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 16, 2015, 09:13:29 am
Excellent as usual.

I'm pretty sure you didn't use a Canon 5D (Mark I) for this, as there aren't dust spots all over the sensor.
(I know this from photographing a sandstorm at White Sands, NM, a few years ago. I love my current Mark II.)

-Eric
Title: Re: Sandstorm, Death Valley
Post by: PeterAit on March 16, 2015, 09:22:53 am
This is terrific! I like the way you kept a bit of foreground in the frame.
Title: Re: Sandstorm, Death Valley
Post by: Chris Calohan on March 16, 2015, 02:15:11 pm
I like the foreground as well but that one bit of dark foliage on the left side of the frame is bothersome as it is significantly darker than the rest...picky-picky-picky  :D
Title: Re: Sandstorm, Death Valley
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on March 16, 2015, 02:26:33 pm
Thank you, gentlemen.

Eric - This was taken with the 5D Mark III just this past December. Fortunately the wind was at my back and I could cover the camera with my jacket before briefly exposing it.  The bigger challenge was maintaining balance.

Chris - That bothers me, too. I have marked it for surgery.
Title: Re: Sandstorm, Death Valley
Post by: langier on March 17, 2015, 12:49:21 pm
Rajan,

You keep heading out there and finding great images. Then you share them with us to inspire!

Thanks!
Title: Re: Sandstorm, Death Valley
Post by: maddogmurph on March 17, 2015, 07:26:10 pm
I like the foreground as well but that one bit of dark foliage on the left side of the frame is bothersome as it is significantly darker than the rest...picky-picky-picky  :D
I'm with Chris, it's distracting.  I'd consider abstracting that bottom part in some fashion if that's not against your trade.  Alternatively you could blur it out to loose the viewers focus in the layers rather than the foreground.
Title: Re: Sandstorm, Death Valley
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on March 18, 2015, 03:43:47 am
Larry and maddog, gracias.
Title: Re: Sandstorm, Death Valley
Post by: Arlen on March 18, 2015, 10:30:10 pm
I know what you mean about coping with the big winds that come up in Death Valley. When I was there a few years ago, the winds were remarkable - just like your photograph of the place.
Title: Re: Sandstorm, Death Valley
Post by: Tony Jay on March 19, 2015, 12:23:59 am
Rajan, viewing your output is pleasurable, inspiring, and challenging all at the same time!

Long may we be graced with your presence on this forum!

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Sandstorm, Death Valley
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on March 19, 2015, 03:13:35 am
Arlen, thanks.

Tony, very kind of you.
Title: Re: Sandstorm, Death Valley
Post by: luxborealis on March 20, 2015, 09:18:40 am
Beautiful and unsettling as dust storms can be. Well seen,captured and presented, Rajan, but that's what we've come to expect!

—Terry