Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: wmchauncey on March 10, 2015, 05:09:25 pm
-
Got some black drapes to cover the windows and fired up the strobe alone...Dah, couldn't see squat.
Turning on my clamp lights helped that. It's been awhile since I've used the viewfinder.
Settings used on strobe...started with 2nd power level which is supposed to be fastest but required f/8.
Wanted more DOF so I cranked it up to 5th power level which allowed f/32 (my maximum) at ISO 100.
Getting the strobe up close helped a lot...haven't tried a snoot.
Using 3 clamp lights aimed at the smoke, opposite the strobe, helped with pre-focusing as AF failed.
This is virtually SOOC. I do wish there was a way to get a preview of the strobe light effects.
(http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l383/chauncey43/smoke-86_1.jpg) (http://s329.photobucket.com/user/chauncey43/media/smoke-86_1.jpg.html)
Are these images worth the $300 strobe investment...don't know what else to use it for.
-
You're the only one who can answer that question.
-
If it were me, I would go for more smoke or smokes.
How much for a gas mask and or an exhaust fan?
-
What are you using as your smoke source?
-
Incense sticks...other suggestions appreciated. More smoke = excessive DOF. One can always do selections and layer them.
-
I was just curious. For several years I directed the live broadcast of the Christmas Eve Midnight Mass from a Catholic Cathedral. I used a very dependable young woman on our crew to run the camera that was positioned behind a column near the alter. One year she got sick from the incense and had to lock off her shot and sit down. I still remember this quiet little voice calling over the headset that she was going to faint. Fortunately she didn't completely pass out and was able to recover by sitting down. The incense cleared and things returned to normal. Be sure you get plenty of fresh air.