Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: ionut macri on March 10, 2015, 03:06:56 pm

Title: Sigma 24mm Art test
Post by: ionut macri on March 10, 2015, 03:06:56 pm
Today I did some test images with the new Sigma 24mm/1.4 Art on my Canon 1ds mark3
You can see them here as jpg and raw
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e4ucdy71a87364w/AAAFZ6zaygHC6Z2m1scvz7O2a?dl=0

In my opinion the lens is quite spectacular. This was a sample for evaluation, I hope the rest of the production to be on the same level.
Title: Re: Sigma 24mm Art test
Post by: ionut macri on March 10, 2015, 03:25:22 pm
the lens is smaller than the 35 and 50 but the filter size is 77

Title: Re: Sigma 24mm Art test
Post by: ionut macri on March 10, 2015, 03:27:08 pm
this is how a portrait looks @ 1.4, full size and 100%
Title: Re: Sigma 24mm Art test
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on March 10, 2015, 03:33:34 pm
Impressive sharpness wide open... bokeh, not so much.
Title: Re: Sigma 24mm Art test
Post by: Paul2660 on March 10, 2015, 03:42:32 pm
Bokeh, basically looks pretty harsh,  I can't figure that out.  But it's jumpy and worried looking, nothing smooth in that background.

Thanks for the test shots.

Paul
Title: Re: Sigma 24mm Art test
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on March 10, 2015, 04:21:40 pm
...Thanks for the test shots.

+1
Title: Re: Sigma 24mm Art test
Post by: ErikKaffehr on March 10, 2015, 05:00:23 pm
Hi,

Thanks for sharing!

What I see is that the lens is very well corrected. Sharpness in corners seem to reach maximum at f/5.6, that is very good for a 24 mm lens. Fully open it is still OK.

I am no expert on bokeh, but it doesn't show significant colour fringing on OOF areas. Impressive for me.

Sigma can you make  an 85/1.4 this good, please?

Best regards
Erik
Title: Re: Sigma 24mm Art test
Post by: BernardLanguillier on March 10, 2015, 05:35:38 pm
Yep, as expected I would say.

This will probably be an amazing landscape lens, but I agree that the bokeh isn't that pleasing. What bothers me is the rendering of the horizontal converging lenses that retain too much hardness.

This is pretty similar to what I am getting from my sigma 35mm f1.4 Art.

I'll keep my Nikon 24mm f1.4 for now. It seems a bit inferior in technical terms, but it delivers sweeter results in terms of bokeh.

Cheers,
Bernard

Title: Re: Sigma 24mm Art test
Post by: Paul2660 on March 10, 2015, 05:46:48 pm
It appears that coma is very considerable about as bad as the Nikkon 24 1.4.   Classic butterfly wings on bright lights.

http://www.lenstip.com/430.7-Lens_review-Sigma_A_24_mm_f_1.4_DG_HSM_Coma__astigmatism_and_bokeh.html (http://www.lenstip.com/430.7-Lens_review-Sigma_A_24_mm_f_1.4_DG_HSM_Coma__astigmatism_and_bokeh.html)

Compare this to the results of the Sigma 35mm 1.4

http://www.lenstip.com/359.7-Lens_review-Sigma_A_35_mm_f_1.4_DG_HSM_Coma__astigmatism_and_bokeh.html (http://www.lenstip.com/359.7-Lens_review-Sigma_A_35_mm_f_1.4_DG_HSM_Coma__astigmatism_and_bokeh.html)


Paul
Title: Re: Sigma 24mm Art test
Post by: kers on March 10, 2015, 06:39:05 pm
Thanks for all the info..!

I see that the sigma has the clearer image compared to the Nikkor. Still i do no like the bokeh that much and i read the autofocus is slow...
The Nikkor has a very nice bokeh i find.
I wish Sigma would had made it a little more expensive. It has the same price as the 50mm 1.4 and it is clear you cannot make it the same quality for that money.
Apparently they were afraid to make it too expensive. I would like to test it myself for these 24mm lenses are all difficult to comprehend.
but for now it is already clear it is not the killer 24mm 1.4 it could have been.
Title: Re: Sigma 24mm Art test
Post by: [email protected] on March 11, 2015, 07:02:13 am
I like this bokeh.
Title: Re: Sigma 24mm Art test
Post by: jwstl on March 11, 2015, 11:12:14 am
I like this bokeh.

Me too. I think it looks pretty good for a 24mm lens. As to the slow autofocus, the lens firmware is user upgradable so maybe a firmware update could make it better????
Title: Re: Sigma 24mm Art test
Post by: kers on March 11, 2015, 02:10:53 pm
Me too. I think it looks pretty good for a 24mm lens. As to the slow autofocus, the lens firmware is user upgradable so maybe a firmware update could make it better????
I do not think you can change physical parameters with firmware.. :) it is lens related.
about the bokeh... i find it nervous...
TheNikkor has a very nice bokeh when shot close: here 2 examples. (wide open)
Title: Re: Sigma 24mm Art test
Post by: hiepphotog on March 12, 2015, 12:47:48 pm
Wow, that Sigma's bokeh is giving me headache looking at it :D, very jittery. The Art 35 and 50 "bad" bokeh can be debatable at time in light of their high performance (sharp across the frame WO). But this Art 24 is not as good as the other two. They should have gone with a bit less sharp in the center, smoother bokeh, and bring up that corners' sharpness. At this rate, I am thinking the Otus might be the answer for a clear ultimate 24/1.4.
Title: Re: Sigma 24mm Art test
Post by: ionut macri on March 12, 2015, 12:59:52 pm
What's a liitle bit strange about that lens is that it focusses pefectly on my camera!
I had some issues with the AF consistency on my Canon 1ds3 with the Sigma 35 & 50 Art but not with this "evaluation sample".
I hope the regular lenses to be on the same level, otherewise my feeling would be that they are sending their best lenses for testing before the release.
Title: Re: Sigma 24mm Art test
Post by: kers on March 13, 2015, 12:00:55 pm
Wow, that Sigma's bokeh is giving me headache looking at it :D, very jittery. The Art 35 and 50 "bad" bokeh can be debatable at time in light of their high performance (sharp across the frame WO). But this Art 24 is not as good as the other two. They should have gone with a bit less sharp in the center, smoother bokeh, and bring up that corners' sharpness. At this rate, I am thinking the Otus might be the answer for a clear ultimate 24/1.4.
What is see on the internet i think the 35mm Art also has a nervous bokeh ( but no double vision in the corners like this one) ... I could use it for getting everything sharp... but then i have an old 35mm f2 nikkor that does that really well from f8-11...   The 50mm Art has a very nice bokeh i find.... and it is very sharp. The autofocus is fast... probably my best lens....