Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: cats_five on March 08, 2015, 07:28:17 am

Title: Monitor suggestions
Post by: cats_five on March 08, 2015, 07:28:17 am
I'm thinking of getting a Dell U2413 monitor, but are there alternatives I should consider?

Absolute requirements are:
DVI & HDMI inputs (I won't use DisplayPort & VGA inputs)
Under £400 including VAT & delivery
Suitable for photography

I am replacing a 24" screen I use alongside an Eizo 2242W which is a 1920 x 1200 display so would very much prefer the same on whatever I buy.

I don't do gaming, I don't need a display suitable for gaming, nor do I watch films.  I know, dull dull dull....   ;D

EDIT:  I also don't need sound and lack of USB isn't a deal breaker.
Title: Re: Monitor suggestions
Post by: D Fosse on March 09, 2015, 06:00:33 am
Best deal currently on the market, unbeatable quality/price ratio:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1083422-REG/eizo_cs240_coloredge_24_ips_lcd.html (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1083422-REG/eizo_cs240_coloredge_24_ips_lcd.html)

Dell is a lottery. You might get a good one, or you might get a stylish doorstop.
Title: Re: Monitor suggestions
Post by: cats_five on March 09, 2015, 07:12:11 am
Thanks.  I'd love to be able to afford another Eizo, but the CS240 is over £550 here in the UK which is way over my budget of £400.
Title: Re: Monitor suggestions
Post by: D Fosse on March 09, 2015, 08:45:44 am
Well, that was my situation too, when I bought the CX240 at roughly the equivalent of £900, or $1300. I couldn't afford it, but went ahead and did it anyway.

I have not regretted it for a second (but I knew that, since I use a CG246 at work, paid for by my employer. So I knew what I was getting).

My bank account hurt for a while, but has recovered by now  ;)
Title: Re: Monitor suggestions
Post by: Morris Taub on March 09, 2015, 12:44:23 pm
how about...?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NEC-EA244WMi-inch-Monitor-black/dp/B00AINBC2O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425919357&sr=8-1&keywords=nec+ea244wmi
Title: Re: Monitor suggestions
Post by: cats_five on March 09, 2015, 01:05:48 pm
Interesting.  It ticks the boxes, has mixed reviews so not sure if different reviewers are expecting different things of if the panel quality varies.
Title: Re: Monitor suggestions
Post by: Barossa.1 on March 22, 2015, 11:29:08 pm
Stomach the cost. I looked at various screens before I chose a new one. I'd had an Eizo previously and always had the feeling I'd over bought but when I looked around for a replacement nothing matched the Eizo. I managed to get an ex demo CG 24" with built in colour sensor & reader. Its excellent.