Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: Balt on March 06, 2015, 12:07:48 am
-
Hi all,
I'm looking to buy a 180mm CF or CFE lens for my 503CW. From the MTF diagrams of either lens I'd conclude that they are optically identical. The CFE lens is about $1000 more though.
Can anyone comment on the optical qualities and their comparison?
Thanks
- Balt
-
Hi,
CFE has electrical contacts for the FE cameras. CFE and CFi use more plastic parts, have different bayonet and may or may not have better internal baffling.
My impression is that CFi/CFE are different generation with the CFE/CFi probably simplified for rational production.
I had both CFi and CF versions of the Macro Planar and I have not seen a major difference.
Best regards
Erik
-
Hi,
have you used either lens with a modern digital back? Are they both delivering enough contrast and resolution? The price difference is big: A 180mm CF in good nick can be had for $600. The cheapest CFi 180mm I've seen was $1400, more than double the price.
Cheers
- Balt
-
Hi,
The lens I have is the 180/4 CFi. AFAIK CFi and CFE are nearly identical.
I have used it with a Phase One P45+.
Some samples with that lens are shown here:
http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Shoots/BernardSamples/180_4/
Note that raw files are included, I always recommend to download raws and do your own processing.
Best regards
Erik
Hi,
have you used either lens with a modern digital back? Are they both delivering enough contrast and resolution? The price difference is big: A 180mm CF in good nick can be had for $600. The cheapest CFi 180mm I've seen was $1400, more than double the price.
Cheers
- Balt
-
Hasselblad say : "CFi and CFE lenses feature a list of improvements on the basic CF lenses that together produce an increase in image quality, reliability and convenience in operation. They include:"
* new internal design and new anti-reflection materials reducing stray light and enhancing the image contrast
* improved design and a new main spring extending life expectancy and increasing precision
* PC-socket with positive lock
* redesigned focusing mechanism
* reinforced rear bayonet
* front bayonet in durable non-metallic material
* new external design for comfort and style
The E adds the databus with AFAIK no other difference to the CFi
The font on the markings is different, presumably covered by the last point above, and is easier to read.
In use the flare resistance was noted as being most noticeable. I have some i versions but not the Cf equivalent so cannot comment.
The CFi should be priced between the CF and CFE.
-
Hi,
I had two 120/4 Macro Planars, CF and CFi. My CF had a problem with aperture and I traded it for a CFi. I did not use the lenses in parallell, but I didn't see a significant difference between the two.
Best regards
Erik
Hasselblad say : "CFi and CFE lenses feature a list of improvements on the basic CF lenses that together produce an increase in image quality, reliability and convenience in operation. They include:"
* new internal design and new anti-reflection materials reducing stray light and enhancing the image contrast
* improved design and a new main spring extending life expectancy and increasing precision
* PC-socket with positive lock
* redesigned focusing mechanism
* reinforced rear bayonet
* front bayonet in durable non-metallic material
* new external design for comfort and style
The E adds the databus with AFAIK no other difference to the CFi
The font on the markings is different, presumably covered by the last point above, and is easier to read.
In use the flare resistance was noted as being most noticeable. I have some i versions but not the Cf equivalent so cannot comment.
The CFi should be priced between the CF and CFE.