Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: seamus finn on March 02, 2015, 06:12:19 pm

Title: Cold Mountain
Post by: seamus finn on March 02, 2015, 06:12:19 pm
Ben Bulben, Co. Sligo, Ireland, this morning.

Title: Re: Cold Mountain
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on March 02, 2015, 07:04:19 pm
I like the square composition and pastel tones. Not sure about that saturated yellow and red. I might try to tone it down a bit, bring it in line with the overall look and feel.
Title: Re: Cold Mountain
Post by: seamus finn on March 03, 2015, 08:10:56 am
Like this?
Title: Re: Cold Mountain
Post by: RSL on March 03, 2015, 08:46:38 am
It's a fine shot, Seamus. I hear what Slobodan's saying but I like the original. It's starker and I think that's the point of the picture.
Title: Re: Cold Mountain
Post by: David Eckels on March 03, 2015, 09:08:31 am
I see what Slobodan is saying. Personally, I would only touch that little LOF and take saturation down to about where the yellow matches the grasses ROF.
By the way, I like the shot. Didn't know that bluffs like that could be found in Ireland, but then I've never visited, to my disappointment.
Title: Re: Cold Mountain
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on March 03, 2015, 11:17:18 am
LOF...ROF...WTF?
Title: Re: Cold Mountain
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on March 03, 2015, 11:20:51 am
Seamus, you now changed the overall saturation as well. I liked the original one across the image, except for the yellow house. I think you went too far in desaturating the house as well. Subtle changes usually work better. Btw, there is a lot of posterization in the OP image.
Title: Re: Cold Mountain
Post by: seamus finn on March 03, 2015, 11:50:28 am
Seamus, you now changed the overall saturation as well. I liked the original one across the image, except for the yellow house. I think you went too far in desaturating the house as well. Subtle changes usually work better. Btw, there is a lot of posterization in the OP image.

OK. Slobodan, I must have accidentally desaturated the entire image when I thought I was working only on the yellow/red shed. My mistake. Anyway, this is the original picture as shot, no processing, apart from a slight crop and removal of a bird in the sky.
Title: Re: Cold Mountain
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on March 03, 2015, 12:27:38 pm
Seamus, that OOC is a great image in itself and you can almost leave it as-is, or perhaps just crop it to square. You could add a little bit of life by increasing (slightly) contrast, clarity, vibrance (but keeping in check reds and oranges), sharpness, and maybe a little gentle post-crop vignetting. I'd like to keep the sense of bleakness, but not total desperation, if that makes sense.
Title: Re: Cold Mountain
Post by: seamus finn on March 03, 2015, 01:56:56 pm
Thanks, Slobodan - advice much appreciated.
Title: Re: Cold Mountain
Post by: David Eckels on March 03, 2015, 03:15:03 pm
Seamus, you now changed the overall saturation as well. I liked the original one across the image, except for the yellow house. I think you went too far in desaturating the house as well. Subtle changes usually work better. Btw, there is a lot of posterization in the OP image.
WTF he said. LOL ;)