Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Trevor Murgatroyd on February 25, 2015, 03:22:35 pm

Title: Still Life
Post by: Trevor Murgatroyd on February 25, 2015, 03:22:35 pm
Winter is brutal here in Toronto, so I decided to try some still life photography so that I could pursue by hobby without going outside. This is my first attempt and while I am quite pleased, I would appreciate some more objective comments and critiques.

Many thanks

Trevor
Title: Re: Still Life
Post by: RSL on February 25, 2015, 04:55:10 pm
Hi Trevor, Technically it's a very good shot. The specular reflections off the vase are right where they should be and the whole thing is comfortably subdued. My beef is that it's too obviously arranged. It doesn't seem to me that the things in the picture belong together on this shelf. The best still lifes contain elements that might make you think the artist just happened by and was grabbed by the arrangement.
Title: Re: Still Life
Post by: David Eckels on February 25, 2015, 06:13:48 pm
Hi Trevor, Technically it's a very good shot. The specular reflections off the vase are right where they should be and the whole thing is comfortably subdued. My beef is that it's too obviously arranged. It doesn't seem to me that the things in the picture belong together on this shelf. The best still lifes contain elements that might make you think the artist just happened by and was grabbed by the arrangement.
A little planned haphazardness, please :)