Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: sonarthug on February 24, 2015, 03:57:47 pm

Title: Gloves for cold weather photography
Post by: sonarthug on February 24, 2015, 03:57:47 pm
Does anyone have suggestions for gloves in cold weather that are easy to use to adjust camera settings. I can't seem to find one that is worth it.
Title: Re: Gloves for cold weather photography
Post by: rsmphoto on February 24, 2015, 04:23:48 pm
Check these out.

http://www.sealskinz.com/US/ultra-grip-gloves-black
Title: Re: Gloves for cold weather photography
Post by: Ken Doo on February 24, 2015, 04:33:38 pm
These are pretty nice when you need fingertip dexterity or touchscreen access.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/704116-REG/Freehands_11121MM_Men_s_Stretch_Thinsulate_Gloves.html

ken
Title: Re: Gloves for cold weather photography
Post by: Wayne Fox on February 24, 2015, 04:33:48 pm
I’ve liked these from North Face. (http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/mens-accessories-filter-category-gloves/etip-glove.html?variationId=JK3&variationName=TNF%20BLACK)  I have a touch screen interface, and I also use my phone for several photo related apps when shooting, the ETIP works pretty well for this.
Title: Re: Gloves for cold weather photography
Post by: JoeKitchen on February 24, 2015, 05:00:34 pm
I use glove liners from Eastern Mountain Sport.  I find them to be thin and tight enough to use my camera easily, while also being somewhat warm.  (Good for teens and 20s.) 

Any colder, then I would use gloves and glove liners, taking my gloves off when I would need to shoot. 
Title: Re: Gloves for cold weather photography
Post by: ASSEMBLY on February 24, 2015, 10:19:03 pm
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005WT0266?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=as2
Title: Re: Gloves for cold weather photography
Post by: torger on February 25, 2015, 03:05:38 am
I've learnt that gloves is a very personal thing, because it differs a lot between individuals how well the circulation into the hands work, ie how easy you get cold hands.

I get cold hands easily, and I often work in quite cold temperatures. I never use gloves these days, I've tried a lot and even very expensive battery-heated gloves, but for me nothing beats mittens. Separating the fingers into separate pockets like gloves do make my hands cold, they need to be in a mitten to be able to keep warmth.

I use this type of mitten:
https://hestragloves.com/dress-gloves/intl/gloves/collection/wilson-mitt-man/100/
that is a high quality leather mitten with fur lining. Wind proof of course which is very important to retain heat. The lining is thin enough so you can do surprisingly much with the mittens still on, I can do most camera adjustments. However, the idea is when you work from a tripod that you take them off for short periods of time when you need to do something very detailed. The body works like if the hands are exposed to the cold for a short time, enough to feel the cold but not enough to actually get cold, you get more circulation and the hands get warmer. I've learnt the on-off-on mitten technique by Swedish electricians working outside in the winter. I don't use glove liners, ie I have my bare hands in the mittens so when I take them off there's bare hands. I think that is best in general (keeps hands dry and warm inside the mitten, and maximum dexterity when mittens are removed), but as I use a metal camera it's a bit problematic, one needs to be careful not to touch the metal if it's very cold.

If you have warm enough hands so gloves actually work that is a better choice, but if you never seem to be able to get warm enough gloves I suggest to try mittens, and try if with our without liner works best.
Title: Re: Gloves for cold weather photography
Post by: gebseng on February 25, 2015, 05:32:32 am
I've been using these for a while: http://www.glove.ly/products/classic-winter-touchscreen-gloves
Title: Re: Gloves for cold weather photography
Post by: NancyP on February 26, 2015, 10:25:48 am
If you live in "the fly-over states" and there's a Bass Pro or Cabela's nearby (or other shop selling to deer and turkey hunters), take a look at their selection. They have fingerless gloves with mitten/thumb caps. These are good for mild weather. If the weather is under 20 F, if I expect to be hiking all day or hiking and camping, and only occasionally using the camera, I use heavy duty skier's nylon/pleather grip insulated mittens, with or without liners. These can be found at generic outdoor shops like REI and EMS. and at snow-sports-specific shops. I have dreadful circulation. I keep a chemical pack or two as backup. I have noticed that there are some dual-function rechargeable hand-warmers and phone-rechargers out there, Celestron (astronomy supply, and those winter nights do get cold) has one, I think that I will give that a try - also should be available at Bass Pro etc. And then there's the old-style  metal hand warmers that run off liquid fuel. I used to carry these skiing, and they do work all day.
Title: Re: Gloves for cold weather photography
Post by: amsp on February 26, 2015, 12:07:44 pm
http://www.theheatcompany.com/en/gloves/heat-3-smart
Title: Re: Gloves for cold weather photography
Post by: Chris Valites on February 26, 2015, 04:58:32 pm
Hands down get fingerless liners. I've been hiking nearly every weekend here in New Hampshire and it's gotten freakin' cold. Pulling off the larger glove and still having some insulation is great, as well as the dexterity from my fingers.

Now, the real question is how to make tripods not attract ice so much...
Title: Re: Gloves for cold weather photography
Post by: Osprey on February 26, 2015, 11:33:54 pm
I use convertible mittens, like  these (http://www.amazon.com/Carhartt-Mens-Flip-Black-Large/dp/B00AFVHA66/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1425011434&sr=8-13&keywords=convertible+mittens)with thinner liner gloves that have touch capability for being able to control touch screens.
Title: Re: Gloves for cold weather photography
Post by: NickCroken on February 26, 2015, 11:39:02 pm
After many many years of outdoor sports I've come across what I feel to be the perfect winter shooting glove by chance.  Originally purchased for mixed climbing they quickly became my go to glove here in Edmonton, Ab where it's often -30.  In those temps you won't be able to find a glove that gives you dexterity and warmth.  I've climbed and subsequently shot in -15 with these and had no issues.  They are not cheap for a light glove but they work so take it for what is.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/accessories/gloves/alibi-ii-gloves-62e6eb4751db2e8b2a6e74a9977d2d57.html (http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/accessories/gloves/alibi-ii-gloves-62e6eb4751db2e8b2a6e74a9977d2d57.html)