Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: darlingm on February 21, 2015, 03:56:56 pm

Title: Moving insurance for an Espon 9900
Post by: darlingm on February 21, 2015, 03:56:56 pm
A moving company is moving me about 10 miles away on Tuesday.  They're moving our Epson Stylus Pro 9900.

I want to have a third party insurance on the printer, or perhaps the entire move.  Anyone done this before?  I've found TransGuard MoveGuard and movinginsurance.com, neither of which are companies I've heard of.  Insurance is only worth as much as the company that backs it and decides on the claims.  Any recommendations?

The moving company gives standard $0.60 per pound coverage.  For $52.50, they'll offer me "Full Value Protection".  Just asked to review the insurance policy they are selling me to make sure it looks like it's worth something, and it's something the owner of the company wrote on half a page.  No legalese.  Now they're saying they aren't sure if it's actually backed by an insurance company or just through them.

Homeowners and business policy don't cover this, despite common belief.
Title: Re: Moving insurance for an Espon 9900
Post by: darlingm on February 28, 2015, 11:52:06 pm
In case anyone needs this in the future...

I went with TransGuard's Moveguard (tgmoveguard.com) insurance policy.  $171 for: $7,700 total coverage on two printers; and $5,000 coverage on misc other items.  $250 deductible.  Based on replacement cost, ignoring depreciation.  Covered moving company breakage, as long as there was a sign of physical damage.

There was also movinginsurance.com.  $110 for $7,700 total coverage on two printers.  $250 deductible.  Replacement cost.  Their contract says items valued more than $5,000 must be wooden crated, which wasn't a possibility for mine, having to go up then down stairs.

There was also Baker International (bakerintl.com).  Found out about them the morning of the move, when I had already signed up with TransGuard.

Homeowner's and many business policies don't typically cover damage from an item being dropped.  They may cover the standard risks covered at your place of business -- fire, theft, etc.  But, when they're being moved, best case scenario, it's covered as it is at your place of business, which doesn't (normally) cover if you tip the printer over.

Moving companies carry some type of insurance - usually your state's minimum.  Michigan requires a minimum of $0.60 per pound.  So, a 250lb printer dropped and destroyed means a $150 payout.

Find a local piano moving company, rather than typical movers.  They handle baby grand pianos much heavier than wide format printers all the time.

Title: Re: Moving insurance for an Espon 9900
Post by: Stephen G on March 01, 2015, 09:06:21 am
Cool coincidence. I've also got an Epson 9900 and I also moved it and my office in the last week. Pretty close to 10 miles distance too. And I use it for fine art repro and photographic printing. :-)

I'm in South Africa so I can't contribute much to the insurance comments for most readers here, except to say that my movers wouldn't offer ANY insurance option, and they're not obliged to. I had my broker cover it temporarily as 'all risks' to cover the move. Basically the same type of cover you would apply to your camera kit or laptop.