Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: chuckn on February 16, 2015, 10:23:57 pm

Title: Cinder Cone (NV)
Post by: chuckn on February 16, 2015, 10:23:57 pm
Took this photograph on my way out of NV last week. It's one of the cinder cones in the Lunar Crator National Natural Landmark area.

Chuck
Title: Re: Cinder Cone (NV)
Post by: francois on February 17, 2015, 03:01:51 am
Very lunar or martian, I like the PP treatment a lot. It's perfect for that photo and arid environment.
Title: Re: Cinder Cone (NV)
Post by: thierrylegros396 on February 17, 2015, 03:54:48 am
Very lunar or martian, I like the PP treatment a lot. It's perfect for that photo and arid environment.

+1, B/W really works well here.

Perhaps slightly tilted.

Thierry
Title: Re: Cinder Cone (NV)
Post by: Bob_B on February 17, 2015, 10:30:51 am
Very nice. Not sure about the tilt. I thought so too, but the distant mountain range seems horizontal. Maybe an optical illusion? Anyway, I like it.
Title: Re: Cinder Cone (NV)
Post by: patrick love on February 18, 2015, 08:17:58 am
I like the sepia treatment.  This would look good framed.
Title: Re: Cinder Cone (NV)
Post by: chuckn on February 18, 2015, 10:50:03 am
Thanks for the comments everyone. I do appreciate the feed back. As for the "tilt" question, the mountains on the horizon are in line, it's the foreground that's sloping toward the west (left). I chose not to change it. I have a few more photos of the same area that I'm still working on.

Chuck
Title: Re: Cinder Cone (NV)
Post by: luxborealis on February 21, 2015, 10:03:36 am
This is a beautiful photograph, toning and all. I get the feeling of waves on the open ocean.

I find my eye being drawn to the details in the foreground rather than than those of the undulating landscape. You might try taking about 10% off the bottom to further accentuate the wide open space and direct one's gaze  upwards into the photograph rather than being captured by those foreground details. Just a thought.
Title: Re: Cinder Cone (NV)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 21, 2015, 08:38:50 pm
Terry is usually right, and this time too. I like his suggested cropping.
Either way, it's a fine image.