Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: pcgpcg on February 13, 2015, 02:55:13 pm

Title: Color vs. B&W
Post by: pcgpcg on February 13, 2015, 02:55:13 pm
The difference is subtle as there isn't much color there and I'm not willing to push it.  I'd appreciate hearing the initial reaction of folks who haven't fretted over this. Color or B&W? Thank you.
Title: Re: Color vs. B&W
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on February 13, 2015, 02:57:47 pm
Colour. Cracking shot, either way.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Color vs. B&W
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on February 13, 2015, 03:20:39 pm
Colour Black & white. Cracking shot, either way.

+1 :)
Title: Re: Color vs. B&W
Post by: John R on February 13, 2015, 03:48:35 pm
Colour. Why, because the image is mostly monochromatic anyway, with lots of subtle blue-grey which really makes the image painterly-like. I can't take credit for this advice, someone just gave it to me concerning my snow scenes which are also mostly monochromatic. Of course, it's such a good image that no one will care or notice if you showed it in BW only.

JR
Title: Re: Color vs. B&W
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on February 15, 2015, 05:50:58 pm
Colour Black and white. Cracking shot, either way.

Jeremy
+1 :)

Hi, Slobodan  ;)
Title: Re: Color vs. B&W
Post by: pcgpcg on February 15, 2015, 09:51:08 pm
Colour. Why, because the image is mostly monochromatic anyway, with lots of subtle blue-grey which really makes the image painterly-like...
This was very helpful and I will remember this. I went with color and actually ended up pushing it a bit as well. Thanks everyone for taking the time to give me your reaction.
Paul
Title: Re: Color vs. B&W
Post by: Arlen on February 15, 2015, 11:14:24 pm
I've looked at this several times in the last few hours, and I think I'm having as hard a time deciding as you did. I guess that means that you can't go wrong, because either way it's a very appealing scene.
Title: Re: Color vs. B&W
Post by: stamper on February 16, 2015, 03:45:24 am
Colour for me but it is a hard choice. Both are excellent and would make fine prints.
Title: Re: Color vs. B&W
Post by: SanderKikkert on February 16, 2015, 06:39:17 am
I'd have gone for colour too, took some time and several views to decide that though.
What a cracking shot by the way !
Best Regards, Sander
Title: Re: Color vs. B&W
Post by: stamper on February 16, 2015, 07:00:02 am
Having looked at these images again I think it is of a toning effect rather than colour?
Title: Re: Color vs. B&W
Post by: Iluvmycam on February 16, 2015, 01:52:57 pm
Either or me. No big deal one way or another.
Title: Re: Color vs. B&W
Post by: seamus finn on February 16, 2015, 03:15:26 pm
Colour for me - more kick. Anybody who ever worked in a traditional b/w darkroom and who squandered a small fortune on paper trying to achieve that cool look will know what I mean..
Title: Re: Color vs. B&W
Post by: RSL on February 16, 2015, 04:00:45 pm
Took me a while, but +1. Seamus reminded me how hard it was to get that look.
Title: Re: Color vs. B&W
Post by: luxborealis on February 16, 2015, 05:11:02 pm
Colour for me - more kick. Anybody who ever worked in a traditional b/w darkroom and who squandered a small fortune on paper trying to achieve that cool look will know what I mean..

+1 - A print of this would be incredible. Movement. Texture. 3-dimensionality. The whole experience.
Title: Re: Color vs. B&W
Post by: chuckn on February 16, 2015, 10:44:47 pm
I'm color blind (really), so I like them both.

Chuck
Title: Re: Color vs. B&W
Post by: francois on February 17, 2015, 06:58:48 am
Another vote for color…
Title: Re: Color vs. B&W
Post by: jjj on February 18, 2015, 05:43:43 pm
The colour for me too. But possibly as there seems to be a bit more detail in the highlight areas of the colour shot.
A bit more highlight recovery and darkening of lower third would improve both images a lot in my view.
A quick tweak of each version to show you what I mean. Though I'm sure you could do a much better job from original file.
Very dramatic image.

.
Title: Re: Color vs. B&W
Post by: pcgpcg on February 19, 2015, 06:30:30 pm
A bit more highlight recovery and darkening of lower third would improve both images a lot in my view.
I agree. Much better. Thank you!
Title: Re: Color vs. B&W
Post by: jjj on February 20, 2015, 11:53:49 am
Glad to be of help.
Title: Re: Color vs. B&W
Post by: Kerry L on February 23, 2015, 07:31:34 pm
The difference is subtle as there isn't much color there and I'm not willing to push it.  I'd appreciate hearing the initial reaction of folks who haven't fretted over this. Color or B&W? Thank you.

It's a good thing that you labeled them, they are very close.

I would go with the colour as subtle as it is. Although, you wouldn't be wrong going with either .
Title: Re: Color vs. B&W
Post by: Tony Jay on February 27, 2015, 07:51:40 pm
Late in on this.

Colour for me.
Great capture either way!

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Color vs. B&W
Post by: Sheldon N on February 27, 2015, 11:41:29 pm
Color, but I'd knock the greens out of the moss in the background. It distracted my eye from the foreground action.
Title: Re: Color vs. B&W
Post by: pcgpcg on February 28, 2015, 01:01:50 am
Color, but I'd knock the greens out of the moss in the background. It distracted my eye from the foreground action.
Yes, I agree. Thank you.