Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Jeevz on February 13, 2015, 05:39:05 am

Title: Black and White Lions
Post by: Jeevz on February 13, 2015, 05:39:05 am
I have recently reprocessed a few lion shots, from the Serengeti, into BW.
Let me know what you think.

Title: Re: Black and White Lions
Post by: Walt Roycraft on February 13, 2015, 08:48:23 am
Beautiful shots. I like the first shot the best(maybe because it's valentines day tomorrow)
There are several things I would like to see redone. For my taste there is to much overall contrast and clarity. I like the way it is on the heads but not the rest of the image.
I also find the tail to be distracting and would consider removing it.

My $.02
Title: Re: Black and White Lions
Post by: Bob_B on February 13, 2015, 08:50:51 am
Totally agree, these are beautiful. I also agree with Walt, especially about the contrast. A bit too dark for my taste, but this is strictly an opinion.
Title: Re: Black and White Lions
Post by: lorenzettifoto on February 13, 2015, 10:05:52 am
for my taste the first is the best.
I agree with Roycraft by the tail
Title: Re: Black and White Lions
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 13, 2015, 11:42:42 am
Likewise.

Great set.
Title: Re: Black and White Lions
Post by: Jeevz on February 13, 2015, 01:16:10 pm
Thanks a lot for the input everyone!

I see what you mean about the contrast/clarity in the first image.  Also the tail - but it kind of feels like cheating if I remove something that big!

I processed these quickly from already processed colour versions.  Now that I like them more in BW I will probably reprocess them from RAW files at some point to print.  When I do that I will definitely try and be a bit more careful + take into account all of your comments.
Title: Re: Black and White Lions
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on February 13, 2015, 02:31:43 pm
I processed these quickly from already processed colour versions.  Now that I like them more in BW I will probably reprocess them from RAW files at some point to print.  When I do that I will definitely try and be a bit more careful + take into account all of your comments.

I think they're worth as much time as you can spare for them: they're wonderful. They remind me of Nick Brandt (http://nickbrandt.com/portfolio.cfm?nK=7648&nS=4), and I mean that as a hell of a compliment.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Black and White Lions
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 13, 2015, 03:40:51 pm
I agree with Jeremy. They are worth some serious work.
Title: Re: Black and White Lions
Post by: luxborealis on February 13, 2015, 04:19:02 pm
...Also the tail - but it kind of feels like cheating if I remove something that big!...

If it's documentary or record-keeping, it's cheating. If it's art, it is not. Think about the freedom a painter has. Photography also has that freedom. We've had it and have used long before Photoshop was ever dreamt of.

To echo the others, these are definitely worth the work.
Title: Re: Black and White Lions
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on February 13, 2015, 04:48:36 pm
I wouldn't change a thing, they are truly excellent as they are :)

Dave
Title: Re: Black and White Lions
Post by: john beardsworth on February 15, 2015, 03:52:08 am
I also like the first most. I agree the tail is distracting, but the rest of the background doesn't add much. Maybe crop tightly around the faces?
Title: Re: Black and White Lions
Post by: Bob_B on February 15, 2015, 09:18:29 am
I notice that your photos are no longer embedded nor displayed after the website's update. Just fyi. I hope it's temporary.

Edit: It was temporary. All seems okay now (7:30pm EST).
Title: Re: Black and White Lions
Post by: patrick love on February 18, 2015, 08:23:09 am
Really nice use of dodge and burn tool... if that was the case.  Regardless, nice outcome.
Title: Re: Black and White Lions
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on February 19, 2015, 06:42:03 am
I would not change a thing. Indeed they remind me of Nick Brandt's work.