Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: calindustries on February 11, 2015, 02:11:27 pm

Title: Leaf Credo Spirit Level
Post by: calindustries on February 11, 2015, 02:11:27 pm
This morning while doing some surf shots in freezing temperature I noticed that the spirit level was WAY off on my Credo 40. It was like 10 degrees off. When I got back to the studio it was all good. Are the spirit levels at all affected by temperature?
Title: Re: Leaf Credo Spirit Level
Post by: favalim on February 11, 2015, 04:09:39 pm
Hi Craig, to be honest my Credo 60 is not working great at any temperature ... they still have to work on it.
I've seen your site and I really like your portrait! Can I ask you what kind of light did you use on the first portrait? Is it a Para?
Thanks
Marco
Title: Re: Leaf Credo Spirit Level
Post by: rogerxnz on February 12, 2015, 04:45:07 am
I have a constant discrepancy between the level and the horizon on my Credo 60.

Is there a way to reset it?
Roger
Title: Re: Leaf Credo Spirit Level
Post by: Doug Peterson on February 12, 2015, 09:09:20 am
I have a constant discrepancy between the level and the horizon on my Credo 60.

Is there a way to reset it?
Roger


Absolutely. Tap and hold on the level icon, and in the third tab enable and then set the offset.
Title: Re: Leaf Credo Spirit Level
Post by: Doug Peterson on February 12, 2015, 09:10:37 am
This morning while doing some surf shots in freezing temperature I noticed that the spirit level was WAY off on my Credo 40. It was like 10 degrees off. When I got back to the studio it was all good. Are the spirit levels at all affected by temperature?

I've shot IQ and IQ2 backs in the cold and haven't noticed an issue, but I also wasn't specifically looking for one. I've not shot a Credo in the cold, only in normal and hot temperatures.
Title: Re: Leaf Credo Spirit Level
Post by: voidshatter on February 12, 2015, 10:19:42 am
I've shot IQ and IQ2 backs in the cold and haven't noticed an issue, but I also wasn't specifically looking for one. I've not shot a Credo in the cold, only in normal and hot temperatures.
I've shot several IQ2 backs (IQ250, IQ260 and IQ280 from different batches in different countries) and they all have the spirit level issue. The spirit level tends to drift over time especially in long exposure or a long session with extensive use of Live View, so offseting them by pressing and holding the spirit level icon does not resolve the problem. These are not as reliable as the spirit level on the Alpa tech camera bodies at all.
Title: Re: Leaf Credo Spirit Level
Post by: yaya on February 12, 2015, 10:36:13 am
This morning while doing some surf shots in freezing temperature I noticed that the spirit level was WAY off on my Credo 40. It was like 10 degrees off. When I got back to the studio it was all good. Are the spirit levels at all affected by temperature?

Does not sound like normal behaviour to me so I suggest you contact your dealer and give them all the relevant information so that we can look into it.

BR

Yair
Title: Leaf Credo Spirit Level
Post by: calindustries on February 12, 2015, 01:39:43 pm
Heard back from DT and they said the back is not promised to perform property below 32 degrees. Bummer
Title: Re: Leaf Credo Spirit Level
Post by: rogerxnz on February 13, 2015, 05:39:26 am
Doug, I think you what you describe is not possible with Credo backs.

Are you referring to Phase One's backs?

Pity!
Roger

Absolutely. Tap and hold on the level icon, and in the third tab enable and then set the offset.
Title: Re: Leaf Credo Spirit Level
Post by: yaya on February 13, 2015, 11:21:32 am
Doug, I think you what you describe is not possible with Credo backs.

Are you referring to Phase One's backs?

Pity!
Roger


Roger if your back has firmware 2.01 (or newer) loaded then you can set Roll/ Pitch offset as necessary. The attached is from the 2.01 Release Notes.

For the latest firmware updates go to http://www.mamiyaleaf.com/firmware.html (http://www.mamiyaleaf.com/firmware.html)

Best

Yair



Title: Re: Leaf Credo Spirit Level
Post by: rogerxnz on February 15, 2015, 05:06:35 am
Thank you, Yaha. I had another go and I can now bring up the screens to make adjustments to the level.

I would be grateful if you do send me a copy of the release notes (they were not attached to your message) as I do not understand some of the options.

Probably, good to leave on the Credo pages all notes explaining new features otherwise the features will get forgotten. 
Roger

Roger if your back has firmware 2.01 (or newer) loaded then you can set Roll/ Pitch offset as necessary. The attached is from the 2.01 Release Notes.

For the latest firmware updates go to http://www.mamiyaleaf.com/firmware.html (http://www.mamiyaleaf.com/firmware.html)

Best

Yair




Title: Re: Leaf Credo Spirit Level
Post by: yaya on February 15, 2015, 07:43:32 am
I think the screenshot is now properly attached. New feature normally also get added to the user manual (http://www.mamiyaleaf.com/assets/files/documentation/MamiyaCredo_User_Guide_V1.30_web.pdf) (see page 69 for the Spirit Level offset setup).

BR

Yair
Title: Re: Leaf Credo Spirit Level
Post by: JV on February 16, 2015, 09:12:10 am
Heard back from DT and they said the back is not promised to perform property below 32 degrees. Bummer

Interestingly enough the Leica S seems to be more at ease with challenging temperatures:
http://blog.leica-camera.com/photographers/interviews/david-carlier-adventures-in-the-alps-with-a-leica-s/
Title: Re: Leaf Credo Spirit Level
Post by: yaya on February 16, 2015, 11:11:35 am
Interestingly enough the Leica S seems to be more at ease with challenging temperatures:
http://blog.leica-camera.com/photographers/interviews/david-carlier-adventures-in-the-alps-with-a-leica-s/

Could you point us to any mention of how its spirit level works in the article? Thanks!