Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Brian Hirschfeld on February 11, 2015, 01:53:11 pm

Title: Best Scanner around for home use?
Post by: Brian Hirschfeld on February 11, 2015, 01:53:11 pm
I'm strongly considering getting an Epson V840 for my film needs, I asked some questions about scanning software, and the answers I got were very helpful.

I was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts on any other scanner options out there? Because overall the other options out there don't seem terribly good as far as I can tell. Will be scanning 35mm and medium format film, probably not bigger then 6x7, and I'll be wanting to scan Xpan shots as well. Thanks,

Best,
BH
Title: Re: Best Scanner around for home use?
Post by: amsp on February 11, 2015, 02:06:28 pm
I'd pick a Plustek OpticFilm 120 over the Epson any day of the week, unless you need to scan large format too.
Title: Re: Best Scanner around for home use?
Post by: uheck on February 11, 2015, 02:34:49 pm
http://www.kenrockwell.com/minolta/mp.htm


unsurpassed for that price.Phantastic and FAST machine.
Title: Re: Best Scanner around for home use?
Post by: 250swb on February 12, 2015, 03:13:36 am
http://www.kenrockwell.com/minolta/mp.htm


unsurpassed for that price.Phantastic and FAST machine.

I had a Minolta Multi Pro many years ago and it produced about the same quality as the Nikon 9000, so not bad at all. But the Plustek 120 is much superior, not just in terms of resolution but that the scans still look like film and not digitized grit. The early problem Plustek had with the film holders not being accurate has been solved and the price has come down at some specialist retailers. It also has the advantage that it can be serviced if necessary.

Steve
Title: Re: Best Scanner around for home use?
Post by: siddhaarta on February 19, 2015, 08:56:55 pm
I found this page quite informative: www.filmscanner.info/en/Filmscanner.html. Some parts only in german, but the Braun FS-120 seems to be very good regarding the quality-cost-ratio