Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Harald L on February 10, 2015, 10:04:08 am

Title: Half Dome Rising
Post by: Harald L on February 10, 2015, 10:04:08 am
A late afternoon capture of the Half Dome.

(http://harlempix.com/wp-content/gallery/usa-2011-sf-und-big-sur/dsc10740-1.jpg)
Title: Re: Half Dome Rising
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on February 10, 2015, 10:25:32 am
Interesting angle, not often seen. If I were you, I'd probably open up the foreground just a bit.
Title: Re: Half Dome Rising
Post by: mbaginy on February 10, 2015, 10:29:45 am
First time I've seen Half Dome from this angle - and I like it!!  I think it's the lighting which impresses me so much.  Beautiful!!

It differs completely from traditional vantage points and doesn't reveal Half Dome's dimensions as other shots.  But your's is very impressive!
Title: Re: Half Dome Rising
Post by: RSL on February 10, 2015, 10:39:25 am
Interesting angle, but same old Half Dome.
Title: Re: Half Dome Rising
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on February 10, 2015, 10:51:02 am
... but same old Half Dome.

Makes me wonder where is the better half? ;)
Title: Re: Half Dome Rising
Post by: SanderKikkert on February 10, 2015, 11:18:32 am
Have never seen it in real life and never knew there was another angle, quite a nice one too, not fond of both a dark (darkened?) sky and foreground, but the angle and the brightly lit dome are certainly nice,  Best Regards, Sander
Title: Re: Half Dome Rising
Post by: Harald L on February 10, 2015, 11:25:40 am
Interesting angle, but same old Half Dome.

Honestly, firstly I was tempted to clone the cycling E.T. into the Half Dome but then I've considered the legal consequences of an infringement of Steven Spielberg's copyrights and the harsh comments on clumsy photoshopping in a recent thread here.  ;)

But downside up: Your comment is much more friendly than a "Been there seen that." Yosemite is a real cliché trap but for me as an European it was an impressive experience to walk the paths St. Anselm did. For four years I haven't looked after the images I've captured there and now a severe illness gave me time and distance to pick up some of them.  
Title: Re: Half Dome Rising
Post by: Paul Gessler on February 10, 2015, 11:40:34 am
I like it, actually. It may be the same old half dome, but it's a much different perspective compared to what we normally see.
My favorite part is how the butter-smooth gradient in the sky allows the textures elsewhere in the image to stand out that much more.
Title: Re: Half Dome Rising
Post by: Bob_B on February 10, 2015, 01:03:41 pm
I like it. A fresh view of a well-photographed site, with strong texture and contrast. Works for me.
Title: Re: Half Dome Rising
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on February 10, 2015, 02:34:51 pm
I like it. A fresh view of a well-photographed site, with strong texture and contrast. Works for me.

And for me.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Half Dome Rising
Post by: sarrasani on February 10, 2015, 04:52:17 pm
original and excellent.
all the best,
sandro
Title: Re: Half Dome Rising
Post by: Harald L on February 11, 2015, 04:49:09 am
Interesting angle, not often seen. If I were you, I'd probably open up the foreground just a bit.

Slobodan, thank you for your comment, here you are. Perhaps it's a matter of personal taste

(http://harlempix.com/wp-content/gallery/usa-2011-sf-und-big-sur/dsc10740-2.jpg)
Title: Re: Half Dome Rising
Post by: SanderKikkert on February 11, 2015, 06:08:20 am
Slobodan, thank you for your comment, here you are. Perhaps it's a matter of personal taste

(http://harlempix.com/wp-content/gallery/usa-2011-sf-und-big-sur/dsc10740-2.jpg)

Works for me, adds depth imo. Regards, Sander
Title: Re: Half Dome Rising
Post by: BobDavid on February 12, 2015, 12:47:02 am
Nice twist on something that could have been horribly trite. This is the best photo of Half Dome I've seen. Well done. You may consider cropping a bit off the bottom.