Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: stamper on February 10, 2015, 04:16:45 am

Title: Evening Stroll
Post by: stamper on February 10, 2015, 04:16:45 am
Another image from what was a good evening's shooting at the end of last week.
Title: Re: Evening Stroll
Post by: SanderKikkert on February 10, 2015, 05:11:52 am
That certainly was a good night, without meaning to demean the previous one I think I like this one even better, that tombstone hit by the light on the left is just perfect, magical image.

Best Regards, Sander
Title: Re: Evening Stroll
Post by: Harald L on February 10, 2015, 05:49:43 am
A good example of how important dramaturgy is when it comes to present images of a series. With the first image you've already presented the dramatic showdown to us so any subsequent image will fall back.

Anyway it's a fine picture.

Harald
Title: Re: Evening Stroll
Post by: stamper on February 10, 2015, 06:03:11 am
When I was in a camera club I was told not to present similar images because they would judged one against another. This isn't a contest. Other members post images that are similar to each other in the same post. I deliberately chose different days so that the images could be judged separately on their merits. I know some will remember the previous image but judging them purely on their merits and not one against another is possible? :)
Title: Re: Evening Stroll
Post by: SanderKikkert on February 10, 2015, 06:14:00 am
Stamper, as I wrote:

without meaning to demean the previous one I think I like this one even better,

They are both good and judged on their merits individually, (i checked the rest of 'm on FLickr too) but that light hitting the tombstone on this one is just so awesome it gives it a plus for me.

Best Regards, Sander
Title: Re: Evening Stroll
Post by: stamper on February 10, 2015, 06:23:28 am
Thanks. I agree about the light on the tombstone. I think it helps balance the image? :)
Title: Re: Evening Stroll
Post by: SanderKikkert on February 10, 2015, 06:39:11 am
Yes something like that I guess, it also creates a dynamic connection between foreground and background.

These kind of sightlines, that make your eyes go back and forth between left and right top, work wonders I was told and I think I spot it sometimes, have even flipped images that had it right/top left for this reason and the flipped version then worked much better.

Of course it's best if the composition has it like this rightaway, like this one.

Cheers, Sander
Title: Re: Evening Stroll
Post by: Harald L on February 10, 2015, 07:13:16 am
When I was in a camera club I was told not to present similar images because they would judged one against another. This isn't a contest. Other members post images that are similar to each other in the same post. I deliberately chose different days so that the images could be judged separately on their merits. I know some will remember the previous image but judging them purely on their merits and not one against another is possible? :)

Please don't get me wrong. Of course we're not in a contest but judging an image l'art pour l'art is always a matter of an appropriate standard, which leads us to the question of where we get that stardard from. This forum is a quite overseeable community so at least I can't prevent myself from considering the most recently posted images when seeing a new picture and defining a standard to judge it.

But hey, why worry?!? You should be happy that your images have such an impact!

H
Title: Re: Evening Stroll
Post by: stamper on February 10, 2015, 07:17:15 am
Please don't get me wrong. Of course we're not in a contest but judging an image l'art pour l'art is always a matter of an appropriate standard, which leads us to the question of where we get that stardard from. This forum is a quite overseeable community so at least I can't prevent myself from considering the most recently posted images when seeing a new picture and defining a standard to judge it.

But hey, why worry?!? You should be happy that your images have such an impact!

H

Thanks for the feedback. :)
Title: Re: Evening Stroll
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on February 10, 2015, 12:13:39 pm
Excellent.  This is superior to the earlier one as you have a clean silhouette.
Title: Re: Evening Stroll
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 10, 2015, 12:30:39 pm
I, too, liked the previous one, but I also prefer this one for the reasons others have mentioned.
I wish I'd taken it!
Title: Re: Evening Stroll
Post by: Bob_B on February 10, 2015, 12:56:20 pm
I agree with Eric and Rajan: I liked the first but prefer this one.
Title: Re: Evening Stroll
Post by: davidh202 on February 11, 2015, 09:39:21 pm
I really like this take
The solitary figure in this ( as opposed to three in the first post), echoes the verticals spires of the tall tombstones and balances better. The bright tombstone reflection works well. You might consider dropping off a little of the bottom just below the large tombstone base on the right, to bring the sky line down to exaggerate the width.
David
Title: Re: Evening Stroll
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on February 11, 2015, 09:54:27 pm
This one is superb!
Title: Re: Evening Stroll
Post by: RSL on February 12, 2015, 06:10:05 am
+1. Hard to believe, but you beat the previous one, Stamper. Bravo!
Title: Re: Evening Stroll
Post by: stamper on February 12, 2015, 10:25:22 am
Thanks to all for the feedback. :)
Title: Re: Evening Stroll
Post by: Arlen on February 12, 2015, 03:22:47 pm
Excellent. I like the first impression of great drama, followed by the recognition that the perfectly-formed figure is figuratively walking into the sunset.
Title: Re: Evening Stroll
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on February 15, 2015, 05:52:07 pm
Another image from what was a good evening's shooting at the end of last week.

That's really good, stamper. Really good.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Evening Stroll
Post by: petermfiore on February 15, 2015, 07:59:16 pm
Very powerful...I like the the fact the the figure is both coming and going, depending on if your a half glass full kinda person or not.


Peter
Title: Re: Evening Stroll
Post by: stamper on February 16, 2015, 03:34:13 am
Once again, thanks for the feedback. :)