Luminous Landscape Forum

Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: Ernst Dinkla on February 09, 2015, 06:55:04 am

Title: Create a Digital Black&White forum within the Raw & Post Processing group?
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on February 09, 2015, 06:55:04 am
Hello Michael, Kevin,

Considering the quality of most of the LL fora I think it would be a good place to accommodate a quality Digital Black&White forum too.
Right now I see B&W threads scattered in more fora here that could escape members interested in all aspects of Digital B&W.
Of course B&W has aspects that fit the respective fora but I get the impression it could benefit more of a B&W dedicated forum that still could address aspects like B&W conversion, B&W printing, B&W color management, etc.

The wider web has several Digital B&W fora, less accessible compared to LL and lesser known to the wider public. Their content can be more niche orientated and/or proprietary (linked to a specific application, product). I see parallel developments that could learn from one another go different paths and energy wasted that way. I do not object to the mix of newbies and competent members in the fora I follow. A quality forum sanitizes itself constantly; creates a big audience, educates the newbies, levels the unorthodox, attracts competent writers, etc so grows in quality by nature. I doubt that is the case so far with the existing B&W fora, competent writers there too but one has to follow many threads at different places and I see confusion appear, not just in myself.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst Dinkla

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2014 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots
Title: Re: Create a Digital Black&White forum within the Raw & Post Processing group?
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 09, 2015, 09:05:26 am
I heartily agree with Ernst's suggestion.
Most of my work is black and white, so I would certainly follow such a forum regularly.
Title: Re: Create a Digital Black&White forum within the Raw & Post Processing group?
Post by: JeanMichel on February 09, 2015, 09:11:18 am
Hi,
Add my name to those who would welcome such a forum.
Jean-Michel
Title: Re: Create a Digital Black&White forum within the Raw & Post Processing group?
Post by: Christopher Sanderson on February 09, 2015, 10:52:04 am
Great idea - not sure why we have not done this before. I have created a new forum here (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?board=61.0)

Over time I would be happy to migrate old B&W topics there if you would just send me the topic via 'Report to Mod'

Chris
Title: Re: Create a Digital Black&White forum within the Raw & Post Processing group?
Post by: JimAscher on February 09, 2015, 11:05:29 am
Thanks, Ernst.  I don't know why all of us black-and-white photographers haven't petitioned for this before to the powers that be.  Now that Ernst has raised it (bravely come forward?) it does seem to be a rather obvious sub-forum category.  LL has done such a great job before in making much useful B&W information available, but rather scattered about (albeit not overly difficult to identify and access).  It would be nice, though, having it all (or most of it) in one spot.  Jim
Title: Re: Create a Digital Black&White forum within the Raw & Post Processing group?
Post by: Christopher Sanderson on February 09, 2015, 12:48:53 pm
LuLu says: 'You are welcome!'  ))
Title: Re: Create a Digital Black&White forum within the Raw & Post Processing group?
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 09, 2015, 05:03:46 pm
What other web site would respond as quickly as LuLa has?

Thank you Chris; Thank you LuLa!
 
Title: Re: Create a Digital Black&White forum within the Raw & Post Processing group?
Post by: Christopher Sanderson on February 09, 2015, 05:10:14 pm
Let's get some discussions going in that forum - it's lonely!
Title: Re: Create a Digital Black&White forum within the Raw & Post Processing group?
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on February 10, 2015, 03:33:12 am
Great idea - not sure why we have not done this before. I have created a new forum here (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?board=61.0)

Over time I would be happy to migrate old B&W topics there if you would just send me the topic via 'Report to Mod'

Chris

Chris, thank you.

Very responsive moderation.


Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2014 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots


Title: Re: Create a Digital Black&White forum within the Raw & Post Processing group?
Post by: stamper on February 10, 2015, 03:43:34 am
What other web site would respond as quickly as LuLa has?

Thank you Chris; Thank you LuLa!
 

I Heartily agree.