Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: huguito on February 05, 2015, 07:11:59 pm
-
I have an Imac running on Mavericks, I can see a pop up showing an update available, I think it's Yosemite.
What will be the improvement I will see on the way the machine runs by doing this upgrade?
Anything bad about this update?
I am new to the Mac and not sure if the upgrade is worth doing.
Thanks
Hugo
-
I would wait and stick to Mavericks...
10.9.5 is a solid system - Yosemite still isn't.
Only if you see some things in Yosemite that are very appealing to you i would consider the upgrade otherwise wait till 10.10.4 or 5 to upgrade-
I know some people still have issues with wifi ... and more
-
10.9.5 is a solid system - Yosemite is still isn't.
Sadly, Apple seems to have experienced QA problems with several recent releases of both of its operating systems. Although I'm running 10.10.X on some noncritical machines, I think Pieter's advice is sound: don't upgrade for the time being on any computer that really matters unless you have a specific reason why you cannot wait.
-
There are quite a few significant issues with Yosemite. One way to get a good feel for that is to read the forums on MacRumors.
Another way to get more specific information on the difficulties with Yosemite is from Lloyd Chambers' excellent Mac Performance Guide blog: http://macperformanceguide.com/
I'll be sticking with Mavericks. OS X 10.9.5 is running fine on my MacBook Pro (early 2013) and my 2013 Mac Pro. I don't want the Yosemite nightmares.
-
I'm running 10.10.2 and none of the "issues" have impacted me. All Adobe products and all my plug-ins for LR, PS, etc. run just fine. I do take advantage of a number of the new features. Perhaps most of all is the integration between my iPhone and Messages on my iMac. Oh yeah, I know this might be heresy but Pixelmator on Yosemite is excellent. YMMV
-
10.10.3 is out and introduces the new Photos app, which naturally is the greatest thing since an afternoon nap.
-
I believe that 10.10.3 is only available to developers at this time.
-
Ron is correct. x.3 is not available to the unwashed masses yet.
-
These days I tend to stay a version behind until I have to, unless it fixes a major problem that I have. A lot of upgrades are to introduce features that I don't need.
There are usually some issues in any upgrade of applications or drivers not working. Always check all of your major apps for compatibility. Otherwise even if the OS is free there is a cost to upgrade. After 12 months it is usually pretty safe.
-
Thanks for the info.
I will install the update and see what happens
Hugo