Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: paullantz on February 05, 2015, 04:00:15 pm

Title: Tomahawk by promedia mount - what do I need to buy
Post by: paullantz on February 05, 2015, 04:00:15 pm
I saw the video by Michael Reichmann about how he used the tomahawk mounting with a monopod.
Looks good.
What do I need to buy to do this?
If I order the tomahawk does it come with a mounting plate or do I need to buy it separately?
I can't find the item on any Canadian store sites so I guess I would order from B&H and hope the C$ doesn't fall any further.
I am planning to use it with various Canon lenses, e.g. 300 f2.8, 100-400 f5.6 II.
Title: Re: Tomahawk by promedia mount - what do I need to buy
Post by: dwswager on February 05, 2015, 08:12:52 pm
I saw the video by Michael Reichmann about how he used the tomahawk mounting with a monopod.
Looks good.
What do I need to buy to do this?
If I order the tomahawk does it come with a mounting plate or do I need to buy it separately?
I can't find the item on any Canadian store sites so I guess I would order from B&H and hope the C$ doesn't fall any further.
I am planning to use it with various Canon lenses, e.g. 300 f2.8, 100-400 f5.6 II.

If you're talking about this (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1056496&Q=&is=REG&A=details), then it has an Arca Swiss plate built into the base and a clamp for Arca Swiss plates.  Hence your head needs and Arca Swiss type clamp and your lens an Arca Swiss plate.
Title: Re: Tomahawk by promedia mount - what do I need to buy
Post by: paullantz on February 06, 2015, 10:13:21 am
ok that complicates it! Always hate it when a simple equipment purchase becomes more complex...
I cannot find the tomahawk at a Canadian retailer, lots of arca swiss type plates and things around.
Wonder if they fit Canon lenses and how?
I live a long way from a camera store so here's hoping I can figure out without actually seeing any of the stuff in person.
The Canon 100-400 II has a very narrow foot that makes the camera and lens combination unstable when you set it down. Cannot imagine why but appears as though the foot needs to be replaced too.
Title: Re: Tomahawk by promedia mount - what do I need to buy
Post by: dwswager on February 06, 2015, 10:33:09 am
ok that complicates it! Always hate it when a simple equipment purchase becomes more complex...
I cannot find the tomahawk at a Canadian retailer, lots of arca swiss type plates and things around.
Wonder if they fit Canon lenses and how?
I live a long way from a camera store so here's hoping I can figure out without actually seeing any of the stuff in person.
The Canon 100-400 II has a very narrow foot that makes the camera and lens combination unstable when you set it down. Cannot imagine why but appears as though the foot needs to be replaced too.

I use Really Right Stuff (http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Shop/Canon-Lens-Plates-Foot-Replacements/) Plates.  Kirk Enterprises makes them.  And Sunwayfoto.  You can usually find a custom plate for popular lenses and if not, a generic plate might work.


EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM (http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Shop/EF-100-400mm-f-4-5-5-6L-IS-II-USM/)