Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: stamper on February 03, 2015, 08:55:16 am

Title: Which one?
Post by: stamper on February 03, 2015, 08:55:16 am
A Scottish winter landscape.
Title: Re: Which one?
Post by: RSL on February 03, 2015, 09:05:32 am
Needs the color, Stamper. Nice shot.
Title: Re: Which one?
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on February 03, 2015, 09:06:51 am
That's easy: color. The B&W must have come from a pre-packed, canned plug-in, thus automatically disqualified  :P
Title: Re: Which one?
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 03, 2015, 01:00:36 pm
I spent a bit of time with each version before reading either Russ's or Slobodan's comments, and I'm glad I did.

I much prefer the monochrome. The forms and textures invite me to explore many parts of the scene, whereas the color one feels somehow too "obvious."

(Just shows I'm not afraid to disagree with LuLa's two best critics.   ;)  )
Title: Re: Which one?
Post by: ErikKaffehr on February 03, 2015, 01:46:02 pm
+1, on both issues. Erik

Needs the color, Stamper. Nice shot.
Title: Re: Which one?
Post by: KMRennie on February 04, 2015, 07:35:31 am
A favourite spot for a youthful cycle. Colour for me.
Ken
Title: Re: Which one?
Post by: stamper on February 04, 2015, 07:48:57 am
Thanks for the feedback. I am leaning towards the colour version.
Title: Re: Which one?
Post by: SanderKikkert on February 04, 2015, 08:57:10 am
The coloured one for me too, contrary to Eric I find that there are more details to be discovered from the coloured one, allthough that wasn't decisive for me and may well be caused by an overly contrasty monitor (at work) clogging up the shadows in the B/W version.
Cheers, Sander
Title: Re: Which one?
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 04, 2015, 10:06:34 am
It won't be the first time I've been outvoted, nor will it be the last time.
It's a nice photo either way.
Title: Re: Which one?
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on February 04, 2015, 10:21:20 am
Another reason for color: warm colors appear to advance, while cool ones appear to recede, creating the sense of 3D, and it is well illustrated in the OP image. B&W loses that and, in this case, looks flat, like a paper cutout.
Title: Re: Which one?
Post by: sarrasani on February 05, 2015, 04:05:54 pm
I prefer b/w version. Also the colour version, but the sky is IMHO only acceptable, with so-so subtleness of transitions.
Excellent subject and composition.
All the best,
Sandro
Title: Re: Which one?
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on February 07, 2015, 04:52:52 am
It won't be the first time I've been outvoted, nor will it be the last time.
It's a nice photo either way.

My joining you won't give us a majority, Eric, but I'll do it nevertheless. The monochrome has a different feel to it: colder, less relaxing. I prefer it.

Jeremy