Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Gel on January 26, 2015, 06:32:30 am
-
Hi everyone, for any that are interested I just published a series of posts on the Pentax 645z.
It isn't hugely technical but covers weddings and portraiture, CCD vs CMOS, Dynamic range, Image quality, Weatherproofing and the Flash solutions.
If after reading you want to know anything else I've otherwise missed please ask away in the comments.
http://chrisgilesphotography.com/blog/pentax-645z-review-pt1-the-journey/
-
Chris,
Terrific review. I have a pretty good sense of how much work these are to write ( ;)), so thank you so much for taking the time. It's always nice to see results and impressions from real working pros.
Two things: if you find yourself hitting min focusing distance and are frustrated - invested in set of the extension tubes. I got the triple-set on eBay for under $200. The smallest in particular is very useful with the 150. No AF, mind you..
As re: profiles. You're absolutely right that Adobe Standard is a dogshit profile. I have had better luck with the Huelight profiles and even the embedded. Adobe Std v.2 is better. Not sure if that's widely available yet or will be in an update.
What profiles are you using for skintones in studio?
- N.
-
Chris,
Terrific review. I have a pretty good sense of how much work these are to write ( ;)), so thank you so much for taking the time. It's always nice to see results and impressions from real working pros.
Two things: if you find yourself hitting min focusing distance and are frustrated - invested in set of the extension tubes. I got the triple-set on eBay for under $200. The smallest in particular is very useful with the 150. No AF, mind you..
As re: profiles. You're absolutely right that Adobe Standard is a dogshit profile. I have had better luck with the Huelight profiles and even the embedded. Adobe Std v.2 is better. Not sure if that's widely available yet or will be in an update.
What profiles are you using for skintones in studio?
- N.
Thanks!
I have the full extension tube set (and paid roughly the same as you) but like the teleconvertors, the problem I have is that they don't allow AF to pass through like the Hasselblad do.
I'm not using anything other than Pentax embedded for studio. I also have the Huelight profiles too which are good but I'm trying to develop my own colour profiles for Portrait, Landscape and so on.
Studio isn't a thing I do much of tbh but I'll be looking into Adobe STD2 now I know it exists.
-
Seems like the Hassy and Phase advantage is much tied to the better default color in their raw converters. Photographers starting to make their own profiles must be their worst nightmare ;)
-
Seems like the Hassy and Phase advantage is much tied to the better default color in their raw converters. Photographers starting to make their own profiles must be their worst nightmare ;)
At least Adobe doesn't have to worry about freeware developers being any better than them at profiling :)
Edmund
-
Before this runs away as a thread on profiling rather than on Chris' excellent review, let me just say it's not a big deal. The embedded Pentax profile is fine. Adobe v2 is pretty good, and for many situations I like the Huelight ones that cost me like $25.
What I was getting at is that, if Chris made a profile, I might try to sweet talk him into sharing it ;)
With a good working knowledge of LR and/or a good retoucher, the 645z gives up nothing to the Phase or Hassy backs. And you don't have to use that infernal Phase software ;D
Ok, back to talking about Chris' review.
...to which end I should say how happy I was to discover that I was not the only person who felt a tinge of fear everytime I took the H4D out of the studio and into the wild. The solidity and sealing of the 645z make me not even think about it. Glad to know it's not just me.
- N.
-
Considering the hassy the detachable back has the advantage of being possible to be used on a tech cam, so it's not only about cleaning. But I see your point that if you're using it for the SLR the point of having a detachable back is weak, bacause you can't use it on any other camera system anyway.
The other comment I have is on being without AA-filter, there are a few of us that think it actually reduces image quality rather than improving it, but we are indeed few that's why manufacturers are dropping it.
-
At least Adobe doesn't have to worry about freeware developers being any better than them at profiling :)
Edmund
:D
-
2 weeks for 148 pounds?!!? Man, I'm going broke hiring one as much as I have. I will attest to the build - I had it sitting in a downpour for an hour shooting stills and video of the Christmas Ships here in Seattle, then took it snowboarding the next day.
I'm always in awe of folks who won't take a medium format system out of the studio - my poor Hass has been everywhere with me, and as soon as I get enough work I'm adding a Z.
-
2 weeks for 148 pounds?!!? Man, I'm going broke hiring one as much as I have. I will attest to the build - I had it sitting in a downpour for an hour shooting stills and video of the Christmas Ships here in Seattle, then took it snowboarding the next day.
I'm always in awe of folks who won't take a medium format system out of the studio - my poor Hass has been everywhere with me, and as soon as I get enough work I'm adding a Z.
I fell over when I found that deal. They do all sorts of stuff at that rate, FS7's, C100's....
-
Hi everyone, for any that are interested I just published a series of posts on the Pentax 645z.
It isn't hugely technical but covers weddings and portraiture, CCD vs CMOS, Dynamic range, Image quality, Weatherproofing and the Flash solutions.
If after reading you want to know anything else I've otherwise missed please ask away in the comments.
http://chrisgilesphotography.com/blog/pentax-645z-review-pt1-the-journey/
Really nice review. Thanks for posting it. I like your take on the camera.
I love the look of the Hassy H lenses and of course the Rodenstock HR-W on the Arca so that is why I prefer to keep using those systems with my IQ160 back. For weddings the reduced iso range on the CCD backs is really limiting but since I do not do weddings it is a non issue for me. Although the IQ160 has a very nice sensor+ mode (pixel binning) and I have used it with beautiful results at iso 800 but if I depended on high iso for most of my work it would not be my first choice obviously.
It is nice to see pretty amazing performance with the Sony 50mp sensor. The dynamic range depth specially looks just jaw dropping. The color is a matter of taste I guess and can be adjusted. The stock profiles for the Phase Backs do look better so out of the box it is a superior choice for color. But like you said the 645z is the only integrated and weathersealed unit. (Although I have not had an issue with the Arca and IQ back out in the wild in not so nice weather and that system has to be the least sealed in existence but it does make me a bit nervous at times no doubt)
I still have the 35mm A lens (from when I had the 645D) and it is a fine lens. Specially cool how small it is and covers full frame 645.
-
Hi everyone, for any that are interested I just published a series of posts on the Pentax 645z.
It isn't hugely technical but covers weddings and portraiture, CCD vs CMOS, Dynamic range, Image quality, Weatherproofing and the Flash solutions.
If after reading you want to know anything else I've otherwise missed please ask away in the comments.
http://chrisgilesphotography.com/blog/pentax-645z-review-pt1-the-journey/
Thanks. I enjoyed reading this.
Over time I never believe Hasselblad will be able to compete with Pentax. The price difference ($8.5K versus $27.5K) for a camera with the same sensor is just too ridiculous for words...
Just out of curiosity, do you miss the 100mm? The 35mm is a good lens but not an outstanding performer. The 100mm on the other hand is a pretty awesome portrait lens.
Joris.
-
Thanks. I enjoyed reading this.
Over time I never believe Hasselblad will be able to compete with Pentax. The price difference ($8.5K versus $27.5K) for a camera with the same sensor is just too ridiculous for words...
Just out of curiosity, do you miss the 100mm? The 35mm is a good lens but not an outstanding performer. The 100mm on the other hand is a pretty awesome portrait lens.
Joris.
The Hassy design is now amortised, the new sensors from Sony easy to integrate; they could lower their body prices to the same as Pentax, at least as far as the body goes. Make their money on lenses.
Of course the dealers will weep. And they'll have to cut down on the marketing expenses, calendar models, and overpaid execs.
Edmund
-
The Hassy design is now amortised, the new sensors from Sony easy to integrate; they could lower their body prices to the same as Pentax, at least as far as the body goes. Make their money on lenses.
Of course the dealers will weep. And they'll have to cut down on the marketing expenses, calendar models, and overpaid execs.
Edmund
Edmund,
You've sung this song before.
First do you know what the model's photographers or marketing expense of Hasselblad is?
I'll bet the model's get paid virtually nothing, as it's considered self promotion, same for the photographers as Hasselblad probably receives 1,000 images a week from photographers looking for publicity.
In regards to marketing, if you stop marketing brands die. Period.
Apple has the highest net worth of any company in the world, (short of governments) and the world of finance will tell you Apple is more of a marketing company than a tech company.
Now to executives. I don't know what they make at Hasselblad, don't know if it's public knowledge, but to you what is overpaid?
Are Sony execs overpaid? They're bleeding red ink, but fire the execs and what do you really think would happen to Sony?
It wouldn't be pretty, but that's irrelevant because the market and the bottom line will decide who keeps their job, regardless of position.
Capitalism has it's drawbacks, failures, problems and can be unfair, but nothing breeds innovation like competitive commerce and we all benefit.
But keep in mind, in the church of business the customer does rule.
If the Pentax is a better camera than anything it competes with, is serviced properly, is marketed to the correct buying segment then it will succeed and the other makers will have to either up their game, or lower their prices.
But I'm curious. Do you ever plan on buying a Pentax, or any medium format camera? Because if you do, then the makers will listen to your checkbook, but if not, they won't.
IMO
BC
-
J,
I see you're having a not so good day. I feel for you. Really.
You are doubtless right in that "lifestyle photographic products" need heavy marketing to sell. Leica is living proof of that.
But the best "real product" marketing is word of mouth. And the 645Z is sure getting a lot of that these days :)
Edmund
Edmund,
You've sung this song before.
First do you know what the model's photographers or marketing expense of Hasselblad is?
I'll bet the model's get paid virtually nothing, as it's considered self promotion, same for the photographers as Hasselblad probably receives 1,000 images a week from photographers looking for publicity.
In regards to marketing, if you stop marketing brands die. Period.
Apple has the highest net worth of any company in the world, (short of governments) and the world of finance will tell you Apple is more of a marketing company than a tech company.
Now to executives. I don't know what they make at Hasselblad, don't know if it's public knowledge, but to you what is overpaid?
Are Sony execs overpaid? They're bleeding red ink, but fire the execs and what do you really think would happen to Sony?
It wouldn't be pretty, but that's irrelevant because the market and the bottom line will decide who keeps their job, regardless of position.
Capitalism has it's drawbacks, failures, problems and can be unfair, but nothing breeds innovation like competitive commerce and we all benefit.
But keep in mind, in the church of business the customer does rule.
If the Pentax is a better camera than anything it competes with, is serviced properly, is marketed to the correct buying segment then it will succeed and the other makers will have to either up their game, or lower their prices.
But I'm curious. Do you ever plan on buying a Pentax, or any medium format camera? Because if you do, then the makers will listen to your checkbook, but if not, they won't.
IMO
BC
-
Every time I've heard someone from inside Hasselblad say something about the Pentax 645z, it's along the lines that we know how much things cost to manufacture and the Pentax is so low priced that either they must lose money per unit or the earn very little and thus it's only a matter of time before they need to up the prices. They also say that "according to our sources" it doesn't sell very well.
I have no idea if it's true, or if it's false and Hassy thinks it true, or if it's just wishful thinking from their side and a way to defend their own pricing.
In any case I'm really really curious about knowing the truth; how good business the Pentax 645z is for them, does it sell well, do they make or lose money on it etc, but those things are not easy to find out... do they ever publish sales figures, or is there any large dealer that has published any figures which could be a lead?
It's interesting though that both Hassy and Phase One has quite cheap entry level offers with the 40 MP CCD. If what Hassy says is true they must be selling it with loss, becasue sensor cost difference is not *that* large, sensors are in the $1 - $3k range for manufacturers, if the most expensive even reaches $3k. I know the 50MP CCD costs $1.6k because that price is in the open from the current manufacturer, On Semiconductor.
-
This reminds me of the Apple vs. Android situation in the phone market. "Officially" Apple own the smartphone market and are the only ones making a profit. But there are certainly a lot of those "inferior" Android phones out there, they are cheap, and they do work :)
Edmund
Every time I've heard someone from inside Hasselblad say something about the Pentax 645z, it's along the lines that we know how much things cost to manufacture and the Pentax is so low priced that either they must lose money per unit or the earn very little and thus it's only a matter of time before they need to up the prices. They also say that "according to our sources" it doesn't sell very well.
I have no idea if it's true, or if it's false and Hassy thinks it true, or if it's just wishful thinking from their side and a way to defend their own pricing.
In any case I'm really really curious about knowing the truth; how good business the Pentax 645z is for them, does it sell well, do they make or lose money on it etc, but those things are not easy to find out... do they ever publish sales figures, or is there any large dealer that has published any figures which could be a lead?
It's interesting though that both Hassy and Phase One has quite cheap entry level offers with the 40 MP CCD. If what Hassy says is true they must be selling it with loss, becasue sensor cost difference is not *that* large, sensors are in the $1 - $3k range for manufacturers, if the most expensive even reaches $3k. I know the 50MP CCD costs $1.6k because that price is in the open from the current manufacturer, On Semiconductor.
-
My guess is that the truth is that Hassy is stuck with the dealer-centric business model that requires high prices, and that their current manufacturing facilities can't do high volume with lower manufacturing cost. They probably don't sell the 40MPs with loss, but they could not sell all cameras for that price, unless they can sell more volume. The CFV-50c is a little bit of a special case, they know it won't sell to the main audience, studio professionals, as it's old-school V, so they don't destroy any business by selling it at a lower price, perhaps even many online sales. Rumors I've heard from Japan where it cost $10k for a while is that they could not produce in the same rate it was sold, which does not necessarily mean huge sales numbers, but that their manufacturing capacity is not ready for selling in volume.
To sell volume one needs to sell to enthusiasts, and frankly while the Pentax lacks in some studio pro features it has a much better suited feature set for enthusiasts, it feels more DSLR-like in handling which is a good thing if you want to sell volume. If Pentax does catch up in the studio pro features too, it may start stealing sales in Hassy's and Phase's key markets.
Although I would certainly love such a development, the response will not be to adapt a high volume low cost sales model - that would require very strong financial backing which these companies do not have. Instead it will be to find new niche markets, like luxury, industrial, reproduction, and indeed tech camera (Phase i early out with its luxury + tech combo in the A series).
-
These discussions go round and round. Let's see what people on this forum buy, and how it goes with MF sales ...
At the moment I'd say the takeup on the 645Z is pretty good.
Edmund
My guess is that the truth is that Hassy is stuck with the dealer-centric business model that requires high prices, and that their current manufacturing facilities can't do high volume with lower manufacturing cost. They probably don't sell the 40MPs with loss, but they could not sell all cameras for that price, unless they can sell more volume. The CFV-50c is a little bit of a special case, they know it won't sell to the main audience, studio professionals, as it's old-school V, so they don't destroy any business by selling it at a lower price, perhaps even many online sales. Rumors I've heard from Japan where it cost $10k for a while is that they could not produce in the same rate it was sold, which does not necessarily mean huge sales numbers, but that their manufacturing capacity is not ready for selling in volume.
To sell volume one needs to sell to enthusiasts, and frankly while the Pentax lacks in some studio pro features it has a much better suited feature set for enthusiasts, it feels more DSLR-like in handling which is a good thing if you want to sell volume. If Pentax does catch up in the studio pro features too, it may start stealing sales in Hassy's and Phase's key markets.
Although I would certainly love such a development, the response will not be to adapt a high volume low cost sales model - that would require very strong financial backing which these companies do not have. Instead it will be to find new niche markets, like luxury, industrial, reproduction, and indeed tech camera (Phase i early out with its luxury + tech combo in the A series).
-
Thanks. I enjoyed reading this.
Just out of curiosity, do you miss the 100mm? The 35mm is a good lens but not an outstanding performer. The 100mm on the other hand is a pretty awesome portrait lens.
Joris.
I do miss it, but the money I sold it for paid for the D-FA 55mm, 120mm Macro, 150mm x2 convertor and a full set of extension tubes.
I would like to get my hands on the 90mm Macro though as I feel it'll be a good replacement. (The 120mm is very close for framing but I'd like 2.8) .
I'd also like the 28-25mm D-FA as well but they are something I can't afford.
I'd email the UK rep to ask but I don't know who to contact. There's a big Iceland trip potentially happening (full circuit of the Island) and I'd like to have those lenses there.
Every time I've heard someone from inside Hasselblad say something about the Pentax 645z, it's along the lines that we know how much things cost to manufacture and the Pentax is so low priced that either they must lose money per unit or the earn very little and thus it's only a matter of time before they need to up the prices. They also say that "according to our sources" it doesn't sell very well.
I have no idea if it's true, or if it's false and Hassy thinks it true, or if it's just wishful thinking from their side and a way to defend their own pricing.
In any case I'm really really curious about knowing the truth; how good business the Pentax 645z is for them, does it sell well, do they make or lose money on it etc, but those things are not easy to find out... do they ever publish sales figures, or is there any large dealer that has published any figures which could be a lead?
It's interesting though that both Hassy and Phase One has quite cheap entry level offers with the 40 MP CCD. If what Hassy says is true they must be selling it with loss, becasue sensor cost difference is not *that* large, sensors are in the $1 - $3k range for manufacturers, if the most expensive even reaches $3k. I know the 50MP CCD costs $1.6k because that price is in the open from the current manufacturer, On Semiconductor.
I don't think Ricoh is losing money here.
-
These discussions go round and round.
Yep. I guess so, because those that actually know the numbers don't speak... :). If anyone does find something substantial about Pentax sales, I'd surely like to know, I'm really curious about where medium format is going.
-
J,
I see you're having a not so good day. I feel for you. Really.
You are doubtless right in that "lifestyle photographic products" need heavy marketing to sell. Leica is living proof of that.
But the best "real product" marketing is word of mouth. And the 645Z is sure getting a lot of that these days :)
Edmund
Leica has the Products and the Brand. Thanks to many years of successful marketing. Pentax has the product in the 645z but does not have the brand name in the high end segment of the market. They have to work on that with marketing and service and support because at the end of the day the 645z is still an expensive product. Yes it might be "cheap" compared to the competition but it is still way more expensive than all other DSLRs. People spending that kind of cash expect a certain level of service which Pentax currently is not providing. I mean, none of this has anything to do with how good the 645z is as a product but more to do with how successful the 645z is and can be in regards to sales.
-
Leica has the Products and the Brand. Thanks to many years of successful marketing. Pentax has the product in the 645z but does not have the brand name in the high end segment of the market. They have to work on that with marketing and service and support because at the end of the day the 645z is still an expensive product. Yes it might be "cheap" compared to the competition but it is still way more expensive than all other DSLRs. People spending that kind of cash expect a certain level of service which Pentax currently is not providing. I mean, none of this has anything to do with how good the 645z is as a product but more to do with how successful the 645z is and can be in regards to sales.
I cannot remember when we last saw an MF camera that got such glowing reviews.
At least Pentax have a decent camera to sell - now where exactly is the "new Phase body"?
Edmund
-
I'd speculate the new Phase body is just around the corner. I went through the same thing waiting for the 1Ds3 replacement :D
Once you factor in the new cost prices, Phase and Pentax have a lot in common. New lens prices are quite high. The 90mm Macro and 28-35mm Pentax lenses being a good example of that.
Phase comes out with a new body, tilt screen and if they unlock the ISO range more on their backs you'd have very similar systems if going CMOS.
If any Phase reps are watching. I'd be happy to review their CMOS system, I have 5 weddings to shoot in April.
-
I can't see a tilt screen on a new Phase body as it would not interface with the existing backs. I have given this a lot of thought, and if they give it screen, and it takes a current Phase back, the thing would be huge to accommodate the back and still have a tilt screen. And if they give it a separate screen that tilts, somewhere else it will still be pretty big. At least as I try to think about it.
I would love to see a Phase back, with a tilting screen, that would be RICH!!, and it may happen with the next generation of backs, anyone's guess. It would not be that much to add, sure it would possibly compromise weather sealing, but that's out the door anyway with a IQ2 and the huge plastic plate on top of the back for the signal.
Many photographers don't seem to need or appreciate the advantages of such a screen but to me it's huge, as you now have a waist level finder and much more flexibility in viewing the screen in mixed light. It would be a great advantage for a DF type body, at least to my needs.
No doubt the new body is right around the corner however.
I do have to wonder where it will price. Right now, if you purchase a DF+, you have an offer to upgrade, not sure how much. However the list of a new DF+ $4995.00, just camera is and has been pretty steep. Phase did not offer a DF to DF+ trade in, or if they did, my dealer never let me know. I would have easily traded up.
So new body, in the 5 to 6 K range? It will be interesting for sure.
Paul
-
I do have to wonder where it will price. Right now, if you purchase a DF+, you have an offer to upgrade, not sure how much. However the list of a new DF+ $4995.00, just camera is and has been pretty steep. Phase did not offer a DF to DF+ trade in, or if they did, my dealer never let me know. I would have easily traded up.
https://digitaltransitions.com/blog/dt-blog/upgrade-your-phase-one-df-to-a-df
This was also included in one of our newsletters.
-
I do miss it, but the money I sold it for paid for the D-FA 55mm, 120mm Macro, 150mm x2 convertor and a full set of extension tubes.
I would like to get my hands on the 90mm Macro though as I feel it'll be a good replacement. (The 120mm is very close for framing but I'd like 2.8) .
I'd also like the 28-25mm D-FA as well but they are something I can't afford.
I'd email the UK rep to ask but I don't know who to contact. There's a big Iceland trip potentially happening (full circuit of the Island) and I'd like to have those lenses there.
Thanks! How do you find the Pentax lenses wide open? Are they as good as the Hasselblad lenses wide open?
-
https://digitaltransitions.com/blog/dt-blog/upgrade-your-phase-one-df-to-a-df
This was also included in one of our newsletters.
What is interesting to me is how a proactive email was not sent out. I had made several attempts to see is such an upgrade when the DF+ was announced. If it was I may have missed it.
Oh well I missed it for sure.
Paul
-
Edumund,
I always tell crew to never assume without facts.
I'm in a good mood, had a great day shooting in 75F weather, with people I like, turned a profit and produced nice imagery.
Actually it's started out as a very good year, but what does that have to do with anything?
I was just responding to a silly attempt of talking down Hasselblad exec salaries, marketing costs and now the negatives of a DF+ in a thread about a Pentax.
They really have nothing to do with each other, unless your privileged to the facts.
It's really not personal and honestly when it gets that way I just want to hit the bye button.
You know there is a saying, trying to knock someone or something down doesn't make you taller.
IMO
BC
-
It's uploading now, but here's an ISO test batch if someone wants to dig in further: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p6t3qx0t39p8mvv/AAA4PcwDSj2MNKiOpr13H5f-a?dl=0
It's with the Z, mirror locked up, with the 400/5.6 (a legacy lens) at f/8 going from ISO100 to ISO 204k shooting part of the Space Needle here in Seattle at night. I got a little out of order with the shots, but all the metadata is there.
The new DFA lenses are crazy sharp wide open straight out of the box. The -FA lenses need a little microadjustment love to be perfect with AF, but there are existing threads on 645Z glass up here.
-
Joe, how do you find the 400? I've been fixing my sights on the 300 F4 FA for astro.
-
I'm not knocking Hassy - just stating what I consider obvious as an engineer - the camera production costs are similar, and if they aren't they should be -the cheaper Pentax is a solid body with the same sensor- therefore a 3x price difference between the Pentax and the Hassy 50C is probably due to marketing/channel issues.
And I can evaluate marketing costs a bit too, by the fact that I was a professional computer journalist for many years. And then, I do go to photo shows occasionally, and have talked to two Hassy CEOs, one of whom I interviewed formally, I think. In spite of *your* beliefs that their huge show booths eg. Photokina are free, that the huge teams they move around are free, and that the V magazine is produced for free, I think all of this costs money. I did talk to the people who did V for them, who incidentally at the time I think were also doing the Leica magazine. Sorry not to base my opinions on pure speculation.
What Hassy do exceptionally well is they run a decent channel operation with reps and in-country minor repairs presence in Germany and France and England, probably other european countries, and resell warrantied used equipment into the channel which lowers the entry price. Obviously, there is a greater safety net for photographers and rental houses when they can quickly source a part or get a minor repair done locally on the day. In Paris there's also an independent repair shop (http://www.lesvictor.com) sited in the same building. They can make up customer cables and other stuff.
Pentax could learn about the channel presence and service facilities from Hassy - I don't think they would really profit from copying the model parades.
Edmund
Edumund,
I'm in a good mood, had a great day shooting in 75F weather, with people I like, turned a profit and produced nice imagery.
I was just responding to a silly attempt of talking down Hasselblad exec salaries, marketing costs and now the negatives of a DF+ in a thread about a Pentax.
They really have nothing to do with each other, unless your privileged to the facts.
It's really not personal and honestly when it gets that way I just want to hit the bye button.
You know there is a saying, trying to knock someone or something down doesn't make you taller.
IMO
BC
-
Thanks! How do you find the Pentax lenses wide open? Are they as good as the Hasselblad lenses wide open?
I'd say just as good. I can't tell a difference at least, with maximum aperture shooting the biggest differentiators are if you hit focus or not and if the bokeh is attractive.
Colour, contrast and imagery is excellent with the Pentax glass and there's usually very little vignetting. I also haven't felt the need to adjust the in camera lens setting for focus.
The 150mm as stated has purple fringing in the blown out of focus highlights. I heard the 200 is worse. But lightroom fixes that.
I'd say that with regards Hasselblad and Phase, the costs saved smooth over any niggles you could have. But in defense of them, I'm not Hasselblad and Phase's intended market. There's nothing wrong with them, it's just that Pentax have created a camera intended for my needs.
-
Thanks for the review!! It's very detailed. I enjoyed reading it a lot.
I have a 645Z. The biggest complaint I have, as you and ndevlin have suggested, is the color profile of lightroom. Apart from that, the 645Z is really a joy to use.
May I ask: Do you have any experience with high-speed sync with the Pentax flash? I'm considering buying a flash (speedlite) for it. Does the Pentax TTL system make it worthwhile?
Thanks!
-
Hi everyone, for any that are interested I just published a series of posts on the Pentax 645z.
It isn't hugely technical but covers weddings and portraiture, CCD vs CMOS, Dynamic range, Image quality, Weatherproofing and the Flash solutions.
If after reading you want to know anything else I've otherwise missed please ask away in the comments.
http://chrisgilesphotography.com/blog/pentax-645z-review-pt1-the-journey/
nicely written review, Gel, and you had me at, "The Pentax 645z camera has, hand on heart, the best image quality I have ever seen on any format, with any sensor, ever..."
ok, time to start saving up.
-
Thanks for the review!! It's very detailed. I enjoyed reading it a lot.
I have a 645Z. The biggest complaint I have, as you and ndevlin have suggested, is the color profile of lightroom. Apart from that, the 645Z is really a joy to use.
May I ask: Do you have any experience with high-speed sync with the Pentax flash? I'm considering buying a flash (speedlite) for it. Does the Pentax TTL system make it worthwhile?
Thanks!
Hi!
I have HSS on the 540FGZ, but haven't used it yet. I'll be honest I don't use it on the Canon. If I had more of the same flashes I'd put 4 together and see if you can get HSS via wireless.
I know that as soon as you go above the sync limit with any HSS the power drops right down. I got around that by sticking 4 x Canon 600's together and I had roughly the equivalent of a full single flash available to me.
I would certainly buy the Mk1 540FGZ, but then consider using the Cactus V6 and a flash of choice for the supported V6 system. I think you can stick a £100 flash on a V6 and control it manually so whilst I don't like Yonguo for their reliability they might be a brand worth looking into.
-
Thanks Mike :)
-
While I like the 400mm, I think for what I shoot the 300/4 would be better. Honestly, for astro I'd try to find a long 67 lens instead - the weight of the 400 is so small it's almost an afterthought. While it has a collar for a tripod mount, I'm hard pressed for a situation where the lens, even with hood attached at the far end is counterbalanced.
P-TTL & HSS works pretty damn good - the 540FGZ I used worked out amazingly for a family get together, indoors with minimal light. The fact you can get faster than 1/125th sync is huge, though I had an issue with a model whom was more on the pasty white side.
-
Hi!
I have HSS on the 540FGZ, but haven't used it yet. I'll be honest I don't use it on the Canon. If I had more of the same flashes I'd put 4 together and see if you can get HSS via wireless.
I know that as soon as you go above the sync limit with any HSS the power drops right down. I got around that by sticking 4 x Canon 600's together and I had roughly the equivalent of a full single flash available to me.
I would certainly buy the Mk1 540FGZ, but then consider using the Cactus V6 and a flash of choice for the supported V6 system. I think you can stick a £100 flash on a V6 and control it manually so whilst I don't like Yonguo for their reliability they might be a brand worth looking into.
thanks for the reply!
wow. i haven't thought about cactus v6!! because i was using pocket wizard and nikon speedlites, i didn't know there is such a cross-platform product!
thanks for pointing a new direction to me!! :D
-
Chris,
Terrific review. I have a pretty good sense of how much work these are to write ( ;)), so thank you so much for taking the time. It's always nice to see results and impressions from real working pros.
Two things: if you find yourself hitting min focusing distance and are frustrated - invested in set of the extension tubes. I got the triple-set on eBay for under $200. The smallest in particular is very useful with the 150. No AF, mind you..
As re: profiles. You're absolutely right that Adobe Standard is a dogshit profile. I have had better luck with the Huelight profiles and even the embedded. Adobe Std v.2 is better. Not sure if that's widely available yet or will be in an update.
What profiles are you using for skintones in studio?
- N.
Hi Nick,
I tried a bit of searching on the adobe v2 profile, but in vain. Do you know where I can download it?
Thanks!!!!
J
-
i just ordered the Huelight profile for $15. Will let you know when i get it and use it a bit.
-
Hi Chris
I'm here in the UK as well.
PM me and I'll give you the rep's contact details.
I've had my Z since it came out here, one of the first through Calumet's doors. I have the A35mm, 55mm, 45-85 and 150mm.
I shoot primarily advertising with some editorial thrown in.
Roughly 25k on the shutter.
All good
Rob
-
Huelight made some profiles that was popular in RawTherapee a number of years ago, I guess it's still the same person behind it. Great to see that he can get some extra income from the special knowledge.
The available software tools for making and tuning own profiles are not very good which is a bit surprising I think, but it's the way it is. Making accurate reproduction profiles is easy and software exists for that, but when it comes to subjective colors the tools are limited. Manufacturers like Adobe, Phase One etc use custom software not available to the public, and I would guess Huelight has his own tools as well.
I wonder when someone will make a camera profile software available to make really good subjective color profiles...?
-
Huelight made some profiles that was popular in RawTherapee a number of years ago, I guess it's still the same person behind it. Great to see that he can get some extra income from the special knowledge.
The available software tools for making and tuning own profiles are not very good which is a bit surprising I think, but it's the way it is. Making accurate reproduction profiles is easy and software exists for that, but when it comes to subjective colors the tools are limited. Manufacturers like Adobe, Phase One etc use custom software not available to the public, and I would guess Huelight has his own tools as well.
I wonder when someone will make a camera profile software available to make really good subjective color profiles...?
There's a patent issue, in particular a Kodak patent. Which wouldn't be such an issue if the Kodak software was still marketed ...All the guys I know who do profiling including myself had their own custom software. As an aside, I believe one of the reasons color controls in retouching software generally are so bad is that most intuitive interfaces for manipulating color were patented by companies working in the TV field, and small software authors like the Knoll brothers wanted to work around the patents. But that's just my imagination. To get back to the profile topic,with the Adobe camera color model things are IMHO even worse, and standard editing software cannot be used.
Edmund
-
Chris,
Very informative review based on actual experience not DXo numbers.
Well done, thank you
-
i just ordered the Huelight profile for $15. Will let you know when i get it and use it a bit.
OK, i've had a chance to implement the Huelight profiles for 645D and they are an improvement over the default profiles offered in ACR.