Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: David S on January 25, 2015, 02:56:59 pm

Title: Experience of the new 5K iMac
Post by: David S on January 25, 2015, 02:56:59 pm
My 2009 Mac Pro is starting to show signs of needing to be replaced. (I am worried it might die on me sooner than later) I know what the current Mac Pro offers but I wonder if the 5K iMac would fill the bill. I do no videos and use Lightroom and Capture One for my photography processing. Is the 32 G RAM limitation an issue?
My thinking on the Mac Pro is to keep my current screen and get a 4K monitor once prices fall.

Opinions and advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Dave S
Title: Re: Experience of the new 5K iMac
Post by: graeme on January 29, 2015, 09:39:13 am
My 2009 Mac Pro is starting to show signs of needing to be replaced. (I am worried it might die on me sooner than later) I know what the current Mac Pro offers but I wonder if the 5K iMac would fill the bill. I do no videos and use Lightroom and Capture One for my photography processing. Is the 32 G RAM limitation an issue?
My thinking on the Mac Pro is to keep my current screen and get a 4K monitor once prices fall.

Opinions and advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Dave S

The kind of concerns mentioned here are stopping me from buying a retina iMac at this moment:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1815601

It's also worth googling 'Retina iMac Lightroom performance'.

It's a very tempting machine though>

graeme
Title: Re: Experience of the new 5K iMac
Post by: Josh-H on January 31, 2015, 01:16:08 am
See also: http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2014/20141103_2226-iMac-goes-back.html (http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2014/20141103_2226-iMac-goes-back.html)

Personally, I have opted for the new Mac Pro and have ordered the new 4K NEC SpectraView monitor.
Title: Re: Experience of the new 5K iMac
Post by: phila on January 31, 2015, 09:47:37 pm
See also: http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2014/20141103_2226-iMac-goes-back.html (http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2014/20141103_2226-iMac-goes-back.html)

Personally, I have opted for the new Mac Pro and have ordered the new 4K NEC SpectraView monitor.

Where did you order the monitor from Josh? It doesn't appear to be listed on the NEC Oz site yet...
Title: Re: Experience of the new 5K iMac
Post by: Josh-H on January 31, 2015, 09:54:20 pm
Quote
Where did you order the monitor from Josh? It doesn't appear to be listed on the NEC Oz site yet...

B&H Photo have it available now for Pre-Order HERE (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1089983-REG/nec_pa322uhd_bk_sv_32_led_igzo_tech.html/BI/19146/KBID/10848/kw/NEPA322UHDSV/DFF/d10-v2-t1-xNEPA322UHDSV).
Title: Re: Experience of the new 5K iMac
Post by: bokehcambodia on February 28, 2015, 04:31:41 am
Another way is to upgrade your Mac Pro Tower with a 5K display, GPU and max RAM, SSDs;
http://barefeats.com/mpt5k.html
Title: Re: Experience of the new 5K iMac
Post by: David S on February 28, 2015, 03:40:15 pm
Well my failing Mac Pro forced a decision on me and I went with a Mac Pro instead of the iMac 5k. Maxed out the budget and still using my former display until I can afford a new upgraded display.

Pleased with the improved performance.

Dave S