Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: dreed on January 25, 2015, 11:31:30 am

Title: Sports Illustrated lays of all staff photographers
Post by: dreed on January 25, 2015, 11:31:30 am
https://nppa.org/node/69374 (https://nppa.org/node/69374)
Title: Re: Sports Illustrated lays of all staff photographers
Post by: shawnino on January 25, 2015, 03:30:19 pm
Coming soon, magazine relaunch as "Sports Described" ?????

Terrible news. What on earth are they thinking?
I'm so glad I don't depend on photography for my livelihood.
It's getting tougher and tougher out there.

I think the photos in SI are really good, so I think there's real basis in holding out hope that these six pros land on their feet.
Best wishes to them and those who rely on them.
Title: Re: Sports Illustrated lays of all staff photographers
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 25, 2015, 03:33:00 pm
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=97215.0
Title: Re: Sports Illustrated lays of all staff photographers
Post by: RSL on January 25, 2015, 04:37:05 pm
Right, Slobodan, and I think Peter had it right in that thread. Our governments seem to be doing their very best to make sure businesses can't do business, and they're succeeding to a terrifying degree.
Title: Re: Sports Illustrated lays of all staff photographers
Post by: Robert Roaldi on January 26, 2015, 09:35:37 am
Right, Slobodan, and I think Peter had it right in that thread. Our governments seem to be doing their very best to make sure businesses can't do business, and they're succeeding to a terrifying degree.

Interesting interpretation. I'd have thought that it's the 6 photographers who were in trouble, not the SI business.

Funny how one day your employees are your greatest assets, then on payday they become costs that need to be minimized. But maybe this is all good, all part of creative destruction.
Title: Re: Sports Illustrated lays of all staff photographers
Post by: mbaginy on January 26, 2015, 09:48:46 am
Funny how one day your employees are your greatest assets, then on payday they become costs that need to be minimized. But maybe this is all good, all part of creative destruction.
+1

I'm an engineer in the automotive industry.  Quite old, at age 60.  I've seen a dramatic changes in recent years.  No more enjoyment in that industry, a very harsh environment.  And heaven help those who are 50 or older and need to look for job.  Experience is worth nothing anymore - employees are only cost factors.  Where will this lead?  What will the future hold for our children and their children?  Scary.
Title: Re: Sports Illustrated lays of all staff photographers
Post by: RSL on January 26, 2015, 09:53:54 am
You bet it's scary. Now that the government has taken over the entire economy and economic decisions are being made on the basis of politics the future looks grimmer and grimmer. It gets scarier all the time.