Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: RSL on January 24, 2015, 06:29:31 pm
-
.
-
I like it, Russ! Great monochromatic water texture, combined with bright color dots. I like the divergent movement of the two boats too. I was initially not sure about the dragon head being cut off, but then it actually looks like it is biting the edge of the image. The only thing I would do is to get rid of the few distracting green leaves in the upper left corner.
-
I like it too - great sense of action plus the power of the water. The positioning of the boats is just right.
-
+1 to both Slobodan and Seamus.
-
The water is amazing and the contrast between a traditional activity and the range of clothing worn by the participants adds a post modern lilt to your image.
Mal
-
Thanks all. Anybody agree with Slobodan about the green in the upper left?
-
Thanks all. Anybody agree with Slobodan about the green in the upper left?
Yes. I realise the line at its edge echoes the line of the boat, but it's unnecessary and the shot would be better without it. The contrast between the colourful boats and the near-monochrome water is great.
Jeremy
-
Thanks, Jeremy. Took me a while but I finally decided Slobodan's right. You confirmed it.
I made this shot (plus about 196 more) yesterday at the dragon boat races here on the Palatlakaha at the request of the local dragon boat club. I got a number of boats going under that bridge. The sun was high and so was the wind, so I was getting the kind of extreme contrast and the kind of waves I was looking for.
-
... I made this shot (plus about 196 more)...
In a movie mode? :)
P.S. Just kidding, Russ, no need to respond
-
Hi Slobodan, No movies. I don't own a movie camera. My D800 has a movie mode but I've never even tested it. If I could simplify the D800 by removing the movie crap, I'd do it in a heartbeat. The film clips I do appreciate are the ones on Facebook of my great-grands, but you don't need a $3000 camera to make those. When I do a shoot like the dragon boats I always go back to my D3. As I'm sure you're well aware, unless you plan to do wall-sized prints, twelve mpx is plenty. At the end of last year the D3 was in the shop for a week and I had to shoot a dress rehearsal for a play with the D800. I ended up with 207 frames. Talk about a pain in the posterior: culling and post-processing that shoot! Wow.
-
I just saw this thread. Terrific image. Your patch repair in the reposted version could do better. The 'Patch' tool in PS CC has better colour blending options (in the event you aren't using it).
-
Thanks, Rajan. I'll check it out. I've never used it.
-
You learn something new every day in this business. Thanks, Rajan. The content-aware patch tool is a winner. My only problem with this particular picture is that there really isn't anything in that water that feels exactly right for that patch. This was as close as I could come.
-
I think you got it nicely, Russ.
I use the CA Patch tool a lot, and it always seems like asking a two-year-old to perform open-heart surgery. With care and practice it can be very useful.
This is a stunning shot, by the way.
-
You learn something new every day in this business. Thanks, Rajan. The content-aware patch tool is a winner. My only problem with this particular picture is that there really isn't anything in that water that feels exactly right for that patch. This was as close as I could come.
Much better, Russ. Your original attempt had left me a little uncomfortable, but I suspect only because I was comparing it with the unedited version and so knew where I should look. This is excellent.
People overrate the complexity of open-heart surgery, Eric. ;)
Jeremy
-
People overrate the complexity of open-heart surgery, Eric. ;)
Jeremy
Oh? I guess I'll have to try it some day soon. ;D
-
Thanks all. Best thing was that I didn't fall over the railing on the bridge even though the wind was trying hard to bring that about.
-
Oops, late to the party I am, but glad I still came and had a look, awesome image Russ, the dragon biting the edge of the frame adds a special charm. The second patchjob looks great and made the image even better, good stuff.
Best Regards, Sander
-
Oh? I guess I'll have to try it some day soon. ;D
Like most things in life, it just takes a bit of practice. Sometimes it's best not to inform the vic... patient until afterwards, of course.
Jeremy
-
Like most things in life, it just takes a bit of practice. Sometimes it's best not to inform the vic... patient until afterwards, of course.
Jeremy
Are you volunteering to be my first, Jeremy? ;D
-
Are you volunteering to be my first, Jeremy? ;D
That's a once in lifetime opportunity
-
I would agree. Those green leaves are pulling my attention away from the subject, but really this is nit picking. This is a strong image. Nice composition and I like the tension! Well done