Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: andreart on January 22, 2015, 08:56:15 am

Title: selling large format film camera
Post by: andreart on January 22, 2015, 08:56:15 am
hi. I want to sell all this photo gear on ebay, but dont know about prices and names of it.

can you please give some info and what price I can sell this no ebay. thx

maybe someone wants to buy  as kit ?

or maybe sell in parts ?

(http://www.upload.ee/image/4478047/D75_7457.jpg)
(http://www.upload.ee/image/4478045/D75_7455.jpg)
(http://www.upload.ee/image/4478041/D75_7447.jpg)
(http://www.upload.ee/image/4478042/D75_7448.jpg)
(http://www.upload.ee/image/4478044/D75_7452.jpg)
(http://www.upload.ee/image/4478046/D75_7456.jpg)
(http://www.upload.ee/image/4478050/D75_7460.jpg)
(http://www.upload.ee/image/4478051/D75_7461.jpg)
(http://www.upload.ee/image/4478052/D75_7462.jpg)
(http://www.upload.ee/image/4478053/D75_7463.jpg)
Title: Re: selling large format film camera
Post by: ced on January 23, 2015, 07:53:28 am
Don't want to put a damper on your hopes but you should just put it up on ebay and hope someone will offer something.
I will be surprised if you get 300 bucks...
Title: Re: selling large format film camera
Post by: photodan on January 23, 2015, 05:06:53 pm
I suggest doing an internet search on "Horseman LX" and compare photos on the net to yours. In any case what you have is a 4x5 monorail view camera. 

The price you can get is likely to be pretty low as the previous poster indicates, as heavy film view cameras are out of favor. To get the maximum price  it would help if you can find out the condition of the camera and lenses, such as are there any obvious light leaks via holes in the bellows, any non-obvious ones like pinholes, whether the movements are smooth or not, whether they lock down securely, does the ground glass have any cracks or large scratches, do the lenses have any fungus, scratches,  does the shutter of each lens work at all speeds, and are they reasonably accurate etc. If you're not familiar with view cameras you may not be able to figure this out.

You may want to check out the apug.org website as it caters to analog photography and a fair amount of large format photographers hang out there. Some there may be able to offer more advice.

Dan
Title: Re: selling large format film camera
Post by: framah on January 23, 2015, 07:02:29 pm
Look for photography schools in  your area and see if any of them are learning old photo methods. I have 3 framing customers who are shooting 4x5 B/W film and doing some amazing work.

There are still people out there using these things tho it is more likely they already have way better setups than you are trying to sell....thus the school theory.

I have a  Cambo Ultima 4x5 system and but I use it with my BetterLight scanning system for shooting art.

Title: Re: selling large format film camera
Post by: Chris Barrett on January 24, 2015, 09:23:12 am
Post an ad over at the Large Format Forum (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/) and ask for offers.  As I first looked at the images I was thinking maybe 500 bucks.  Maybe.