Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: MattNQ on January 22, 2015, 07:19:41 am

Title: Quiet Repose
Post by: MattNQ on January 22, 2015, 07:19:41 am
Greetings for the new year. 

A few recent additions to my adhoc project of sorts  'walking with the dead' .
 

(http://mattlarsen.smugmug.com/Other/Walking-with-the-dead/i-FpLCd3J/0/L/P1161379_edit-L.jpg)

(http://mattlarsen.smugmug.com/Other/Walking-with-the-dead/i-vTXJ3WL/0/L/P1161427_edit-L.jpg)

(http://mattlarsen.smugmug.com/Other/Walking-with-the-dead/i-Bp7NMbP/0/L/P1161424_edit-L.jpg)

(http://mattlarsen.smugmug.com/Other/Walking-with-the-dead/i-Xx5v36X/0/L/P1161446_edit-L.jpg)
Title: Re: Quiet Repose
Post by: BobDavid on January 24, 2015, 12:45:34 am
Keep going with this. I love the technique and the subject matter is fine. I think the images are too literal though. Tombstones are more mysterious when the writing isn't clear and the forms are more unusual than crosses.
Title: Re: Quiet Repose
Post by: mal mcilwraith on January 25, 2015, 02:00:53 pm
I for one like the dramatic feeling you have created.

Have taken a few old gravestone images myself, however yours look like a family where mine just look like a bunch of unrelated individual shots.

Mal
Title: Re:
Post by: MattNQ on January 26, 2015, 09:54:09 am
Thanks Mal and BobDavid for the feedback. 
First outing at this particular cemetery. I find it takes a few visits to find the most effective composition for the more interesting gravestones.
Title: Re: Quiet Repose
Post by: RSL on January 26, 2015, 10:09:52 am
Hi Matt, I've been holding off on these, trying to decide how I should word a critique. I love the subject matter. I've enjoyed shooting in graveyards ever since I ran across Mr. Cone's gravestone. Somebody had very carefully modified the "C" in "Cone" to turn it into a "G." The stone now read (I'm using a fictional first name): "Jeremy Gone. Gone but not forgotten."

I think your use of light and framing are very good, though I think I'd have moved a bit in #4 to get the top of that cross out of the dark spot (Probably a blue spot in the original color version) in the sky.

Having said that, I also think that the extreme structure and contrast push turns these excellent shots almost into caricatures of spooky graveyards. They look like infrared shots. Maybe they are. Unfortunately, that's already been done to death.
Title: Re: Quiet Repose
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on January 26, 2015, 02:58:30 pm
They look like infrared shots. Maybe they are.

I assumed that they were, and liked it.

Unfortunately, that's already been done to death.

Please, please tell me that was deliberate.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Quiet Repose
Post by: RSL on January 26, 2015, 07:14:33 pm
One way or another I can live with it, Jeremy.
Title: Re: Quiet Repose
Post by: MattNQ on January 27, 2015, 08:39:46 am
Russ, yes, they were IR shots.
Done to death maybe (that made me chuckle ;D)  , but I am enjoying exploring it ;D




Title: Re: Quiet Repose
Post by: RSL on January 27, 2015, 10:34:27 am
Keep exploring, Matt. I don't mean to be overly critical. I think the problem is that there's a gallery in my town that was showing a bunch of IR stuff very much like this. IR can be arresting in small quantities but it easily can be overdone. You're finding interesting stuff and you've got a good eye. Press on.
Title: Re: Quiet Repose
Post by: MattNQ on January 28, 2015, 07:58:02 am
All good Russ. Can see where you're coming from.

I'm possibly a little insulated where I live - Nobody really does IR much, and if they do, it is the usual false colour shot, often with a selection of trees beside a lake (which I find a little boring) 

I bought the IR camera to expand my monos - and try to come up with something hopefully a bit different.
Of course in reality there is really nothing new under the sun  - someone has always done it before.... ;D

Once the dust settles from the start of school & kids sport , I'll be hopefully getting back into landscapes, (both colour & mono/IR)
Title: Re: Quiet Repose
Post by: mal mcilwraith on January 28, 2015, 02:26:30 pm
Matt


One thought about your images.

Perhaps you could try, camera on tripod.


First shot in IR and second shot in colour/black and white - align in photoshop and then use a mixture of transparency and masks to bring forth your focus point - the ghostly emerges from the everyday -

Have fun and explore.



Mal
Title: Re: Quiet Repose
Post by: MattNQ on January 30, 2015, 02:45:51 am
Matt


One thought about your images.

Perhaps you could try, camera on tripod.


First shot in IR and second shot in colour/black and white - align in photoshop and then use a mixture of transparency and masks to bring forth your focus point - the ghostly emerges from the everyday -

Have fun and explore.



Mal

Thanks Mal. I think you suggested something similar last year. I had forgotten about it until now.
I will try it one day ;D

Title: Re: Quiet Repose
Post by: mal mcilwraith on January 30, 2015, 03:54:11 am
Matt

Well consistent if not original.

Mal
Title: Re: Quiet Repose
Post by: sarrasani on February 05, 2015, 04:15:56 pm
wonderful subject, composition and (IR?) monochrome rendition.
Clap hand from me.
All the best,
sandro