Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: RikkFlohr on January 21, 2015, 08:05:57 pm
-
http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2015/01/update-on-os-support-for-next-version-of-lightroom.html
-
http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2015/01/update-on-os-support-for-next-version-of-lightroom.html
Thanks for posting that. Makes sense for Adobe to put the development and testing effort where it will do the most good, but it's a potential problem for folks who can't upgrade because of app and/or driver compatibility issues. Really reliable virtualization can't come soon enough for me.
Jim
-
I am glad I updated to W7 a while ago ;D does that announcement mean that LR6 is imminent???
Also possibly of interest is that I saw a ref to W10 being a free upgrade to W7 and above users.
-
Thanks for posting. Makes excellent sense, especially for those of us on 64 bit Windows :)
-
"... adding functionality requested by users, including additional advanced imaging features..."
I wonder what that means.
-
http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2015/01/update-on-os-support-for-next-version-of-lightroom.html
Thanks for posting which to me indicates that we don't have to wait too long for LR6.
-
Thanks for posting which to me indicates that we don't have to wait too ling for LR6.
It looks like they are softening us up to the idea of 64-bit only, recent operating systems only, to mimimse the grumbling when they launch it.
-
It looks like they are softening us up to the idea of 64-bit only, recent operating systems only, to mimimse the grumbling when they launch it.
And, maybe, to allow us to plan our approach in advance? Or is that Panglossian?
Jim
-
It looks like they are softening us up to the idea of 64-bit only, recent operating systems only, to mimimse the grumbling when they launch it.
Is anyone running 32-bit Windows?
-
Is anyone running 32-bit Windows?
I hope not.
Even I went to 64-bit a few years ago, and I thought I was the last dinosaur out there.
-
Is anyone running 32-bit Windows?
I've got a couple of Vista boxes running 64 bit but Lightroom won't upgrade or install anything above 4.2. Looks like it's got to be Win 7 and 64 bit or better from here on out. - Jim
-
I am now using LR4 but am thinking about getting a new camera which is only supported by LR5. If I upgrade to LR5 now rather than waiting for LR6, what is the likelihood that LR6 will come out the next week and I will feel like an idiot?
-
I am still using the older version but after seeing all the comments here now thinking to upgrade my lightroom also.Thanks for the link.
-
I am now using LR4 but am thinking about getting a new camera which is only supported by LR5. If I upgrade to LR5 now rather than waiting for LR6, what is the likelihood that LR6 will come out the next week and I will feel like an idiot?
At this point I would buy the camera and use the DNG Converter in order to stay with LR4 a bit longer. Chances seem good that a LR6 Beta or RC will be along soon.
-
At this point I would buy the camera and use the DNG Converter in order to stay with LR4 a bit longer. Chances seem good that a LR6 Beta or RC will be along soon.
+1
-
I am now using LR4 but am thinking about getting a new camera which is only supported by LR5. If I upgrade to LR5 now rather than waiting for LR6, what is the likelihood that LR6 will come out the next week and I will feel like an idiot?
Adobe has a 30-Day return policy. If you bought today, and LR 6.0 came out in the next 30 days, you would have no problem. 60 days... well that is gray area. Lightroom also has a 30 day trial. So, if you try it and then buy it that gives you about 60 days before you would run into trouble.
-
I am now using LR4 but am thinking about getting a new camera which is only supported by LR5. If I upgrade to LR5 now rather than waiting for LR6, what is the likelihood that LR6 will come out the next week and I will feel like an idiot?
High ;D
-
Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe as a public service I should upgrade to LR5 now so as to accelerate release of LR6 for everyone else's benefit.
-
Though not everyone likes it, you could choose the subscription option and get 5 now, LrMobile, plus Photoshop, and have 6 whenever it arrives.
-
Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe as a public service I should upgrade to LR5 now so as to accelerate release of LR6 for everyone else's benefit.
Please do! ;)
-
Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe as a public service I should upgrade to LR5 now so as to accelerate release of LR6 for everyone else's benefit.
I wish you would. I would gladly hand over that function to someone else. ;)
-
Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe as a public service I should upgrade to LR5 now so as to accelerate release of LR6 for everyone else's benefit.
Or wait until it's released and see if V6 is even worth upgrading. Convert to DNG in the meantime. Cost you nothing but a bit of time during import and you can walk away and do something else.
-
....and he could also install the trial software for 30 days to buy himself more time.
-
Is there some reason why new camera files aren't compatible with old versions of LR? In other words, where does the "translator" reside for each camera's codec - in the LR version or in the Adobe Camera Raw? And if translator is in the ACR, why would new ACR 8.7 not work with LR4? Are all .CR2 files organized in the same way, with just the exif information varying between camera models.
I am feeling irritated about obligatory update to LR5 in order to process Canon 7D2 files. Yes, this means moving stuff around, then updating the operating system to the only one currently available (10.6.8 directly to 10.10.2 Yosemite), which means my user-installed non-Apple SSD boot drive is "screwed" because Yosemite doesn't allow TRIM SSD disk utility for non-apple SSDs to work without dropping ALL security extensions (kexts), which means I would have to swap out the Samsung SSD boot drive for the old spinning rust currently doing duty as spare off-site backup drive in the safe deposit box. Or, just leave the security extensions open to the outside world via a kext management app TRIM Enabler, and don't go online (I don't use the laptop online much but I do do so occasionally - one can raise the kext barrier with reboot). That will teach me to keep more current.
-
The 'translator' is contained within the Develop Module of Lightroom and within the ACR Plugin of Photoshop. They are mutually independent. Updating one does not give the other access to functionality. Adobe, however, has provided a get out of jail free card in the program "DNG Converter". It is free and will convert your 7DMKII files to DNGs which any version of Lightroom and PS versions back to CS2 can read. It allows you access to new cameras for older versions of the software-provided you aren't running an ancient OS.
-
OK. Thanks for the explanation. I have been in two minds about DNG conversion. One benefit of .CR2 is that the EXIF/history stays with the image file, and one doesn't have to keep track of sidecar files. I assume that lens correction works on DNG'ed files? Lens correction reads out the corresponding .xmp file and applies correction to the .dng file?
-
I have been in two minds about DNG conversion. One benefit of .CR2 is that the EXIF/history stays with the image file, and one doesn't have to keep track of sidecar files.
DNG provides that, proprietary raws require a sidecar file. In Adobe raw workflows, Adobe treats proprietary raws as read only.
I assume that lens correction works on DNG'ed files?
Yes of course.
-
Is there some reason why new camera files aren't compatible with old versions of LR?
Yes, the camera manufacturer decided for no useful reason to alter the raw file slightly. So ALL 3rd party converters now have to understand that useless change, update their software, run that software through Q&E, upload etc. IOW, it serves no useful purpose other than to make us wait on support of our preferred converter while costing those companies money that could be spent better elsewhere. The problem rests solely on the camera manufacturers. You will notice that if instead of asking for a raw, you ask for JPEG, the camera has no such problems spitting out a document that LR1 (or Photoshop 1.0.9) could read.
-
Yes, the camera manufacturer decided for no useful reason to alter the raw file slightly. So ALL 3rd party converters now have to understand that useless change, update their software, run that software through Q&E, upload etc. IOW, it serves no useful purpose other than to make us wait on support of our preferred converter while costing those companies money that could be spent better elsewhere. The problem rests solely on the camera manufacturers. You will notice that if instead of asking for a raw, you ask for JPEG, the camera has no such problems spitting out a document that LR1 (or Photoshop 1.0.9) could read.
It looks to me like Lr decides that just changing the name of the camera and/or adding a maker's field to the EXIF data is enough to make it reject the new camera's raw file. Many times when Lr refuses to decode a file from a just-out camera, I'm able to decode it with DCRAW, even using a version of that program much older than the version of LR I'm using.
It might be nice to have a "go ahead and give it a try" option in Lr.
Jim
-
It looks to me like Lr decides that just changing the name of the camera and/or adding a maker's field to the EXIF data is enough to make it reject the new camera's raw file.
Could be, but something is different enough to give it a headache it didn't have with all the previous proprietary raws (after hacking the format).
Many times when Lr refuses to decode a file from a just-out camera, I'm able to decode it with DCRAW, even using a version of that program much older than the version of LR I'm using.
Point is, you shouldn't have to.
-
Wished Apple would explain for those without broadband how and in what format going to an Apple Retail Store will enable an upgrade to Yosemite.
Will I be getting a CD? (Hope so!) Or will have to bring my older but compatible Mac Mini to the brick and mortar Apple store and have them take hours to download such a behemoth upgrade from 10.6.8 using the store's broadband?
-
Wished Apple would explain for those without broadband how and in what format going to an Apple Retail Store will enable an upgrade to Yosemite.
I suspect that if you brought a suitably large USB drive to an Apple Store, one of the employees would be happy to copy the Yosemite installer onto it for you using one of the showroom machines. Even if they didn't already have the file, the download doesn't take very long. Might be a good idea to make an appointment in advance, however. (Instructions on how to make a bootable installer may be found here (http://support.apple.com/en-lb/HT201372), in case you're not familiar with the procedure.) Or you could have a friend with faster Internet access do it for you.
-
Could be, but something is different enough to give it a headache it didn't have with all the previous proprietary raws (after hacking the format). Point is, you shouldn't have to.
yes, the different enough is the model name :D ... not format mind you
Point is, you shouldn't have to.
this point is for ACR/LR to allow to open the file with a warning (switchable off by a user) - because there are no changes in it...
-
I suspect that if you brought a suitably large USB drive to an Apple Store, one of the employees would be happy to copy the Yosemite installer onto it for you using one of the showroom machines. Even if they didn't already have the file, the download doesn't take very long. Might be a good idea to make an appointment in advance, however. (Instructions on how to make a bootable installer may be found here (http://support.apple.com/en-lb/HT201372), in case you're not familiar with the procedure.) Or you could have a friend with faster Internet access do it for you.
Thanks, Chris. That was very helpful.
The Terminal command line bootable installer was a surprise. Never knew it could done that way.
The nearest Apple Retail Store is 50 miles away. Wish they could just burn it to CD. I'ld gladly pay for it.
-
I imagine that LR6 will upgrade its cloud features, if current trends are anything to go by:
http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/5/7982735/apple-new-iphoto-announced-photos-app-for-mac
-
That's a safe bet - since it's already been doing so over the last year
-
yes, the different enough is the model name :D ... not format mind youthis point is for ACR/LR to allow to open the file with a warning (switchable off by a user) - because there are no changes in it...
Really? So you're telling us:
1. The ONLY difference is the model name and
2. ONLY LR/ACR (in terms 3rd party raw processors) suffers this issue and all other's are AOK accessing this new camera data (the model name)?
If so, proof of concept is requested.
Interesting if true as this has no bearing whatsoever with the camera generated JPEG. Why?
-
Time to clear the junk from the current drive, make a bit of space, update the OS, fulfill a New Year's Resolution ;) . Anyone using a non-Apple SSD as their boot drive? I installed an enterprise grade Samsung SSD 512G drive into my mid 2010 MacBookPro. Now I learn that Yosemite won't work with the TRIM file management system on the SSD.