Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Sunshine7 on January 20, 2015, 04:03:11 pm
-
I am getting ready to order an 1i Pro2, and there are several versions of this on Amazon.
X-Rite i1Basic Pro 2
X-Rite i1Photo Pro 2
X-Rite EO2PUB i1Publish Pro 2
I already have the X-Rite i1Display Pro which I would continue to use for display profiling. I just need the 1i Pro2 for making profiles, using a demo version of Ergosoft Posterprint.
Can anyone help me out with this? Is the 'basic' enough for what I would like to do? I'm experiencing an enormous learning curve here, and since the i1 Pro 2 to me is pricey, I would prefer to get the 'Basic' but cannot all research it myself at this point.
Thanks all for your help, once again...
-
if all you need is the device w/o any real 'software' ie. i1Publish, then the Basic will do.
The Basic software does monitor and projector calibration.
The Photo adds RGB printer (and scanner?) calibration and Publish adds CMYK.
You may want to check w/ Emmy Camera in Canada as they often have good prices. PM me for how I know this.
-
i1Basic Pro2 is just the instrument and display profiling.
i1Photo Pro2 is same as above but adds RGB profiling.
i1Publish Pro2 adds CMYK profiling to the above.
To your question, if the Ergosoft RIP has it's own profiling capability, then all you need is the spectro (i1Basic). I'm sure it has calibration/linearization included with the software but profiling is likely an option.....don't confuse calibration with profiling.
If it doesn't or you're not sure, then you'll need i1Publish for CMYK profiles. Virtually all RIPs use CMYK output profiles as opposed to RGB so you'll need to be able to create CMYK output profiles.
Terry
-
Great, thank you so much!
-
Since the licensing is embedded into the device, will ergosofts software work with the basic device for cmyk profiles?
-
I dont think the licensing is 'embedded' the way you think it is.
The i1Publisher software has X features enabled based on the serial # (or other identification) of the unit.
3rd party software doesn't care too much about the device serial number, it's got it's own license.
You should be able to generate RGB or CMYK profiles w/ the basic device and appropriate 3rd party sw.
You could try ArgyllCMS which makes both types of profiles (although I think CMYK profiles require a lot # of patches but
that may be true of any software)