Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: george2787 on January 18, 2015, 08:40:46 pm

Title: MF distorsion and closeup beauty photography
Post by: george2787 on January 18, 2015, 08:40:46 pm
Yesterday I had the chance to shoot some closeup cosmetic beauty with a friends h4d40, I would normally shoot with 5dIII + 180 macro for anything without shoulders but the longest I had was the 120 Macro, which i think is the only macro focal length in todays lineup.

I noticed quite a lot of distortion when getting close and ended shooting a wider frame to crop (not ideal but there's plenty of pixels) and got me thinking, how do you guys shoot this kind of pictures? I'm guessing with a longer lens and an extension tube.

Sample grabbed from google images: http://www.stefantell.se/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/beauty-portrait-make-up-studio-lighting-setup-face.jpg

BTW the whole experience was quite nice, for my taste hasselblad has better ergonomics than phase and phocus gives a very nice color to the files although it seems old and slow compared to phase one. Thethering was rock solid on fw800 to a macbook pro in clamshell mode with an external monitor.  :)
Title: Re: MF distorsion and closeup beauty photography
Post by: Joe Towner on January 18, 2015, 10:42:16 pm
If I recall the HC 120Macro seems to have a very shallow depth of focus - how close were you and what were you shooting at?  I was at f/16 for the shot below

Title: Re: MF distorsion and closeup beauty photography
Post by: Ken R on January 19, 2015, 12:30:17 am
Yesterday I had the chance to shoot some closeup cosmetic beauty with a friends h4d40, I would normally shoot with 5dIII + 180 macro for anything without shoulders but the longest I had was the 120 Macro, which i think is the only macro focal length in todays lineup.

I noticed quite a lot of distortion when getting close and ended shooting a wider frame to crop (not ideal but there's plenty of pixels) and got me thinking, how do you guys shoot this kind of pictures? I'm guessing with a longer lens and an extension tube.

Sample grabbed from google images: http://www.stefantell.se/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/beauty-portrait-make-up-studio-lighting-setup-face.jpg

BTW the whole experience was quite nice, for my taste hasselblad has better ergonomics than phase and phocus gives a very nice color to the files although it seems old and slow compared to phase one. Thethering was rock solid on fw800 to a macbook pro in clamshell mode with an external monitor.  :)

You can slap on the 1.7x converter to the 120 (AF is disabled though) and get a similar result to your 35mm setup or use the 210mm with extension tubes.