Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: JoeKitchen on January 18, 2015, 11:53:13 am
-
I have been thinking about replacing my LTM Pepper 420s with Arri Fresnels due to the better build quality. However, Arri only makes 150s, 300s and 650s, no 420s.
I would prefer to continue to use 420 watt bulbs and keep the size of the fresnels I travel with some what small. (So no 650s right now.)
I know that the LTM 300s and 420s are the same exact size and build; one is just a bit more than the other. Also, household lamps can take a variety of different wattages.
So is it safe to put a 420 watt bulb into an Arri 300?
-
Joe, I'm not sure about Arri's but I've been putting 1k bulbs in Mole's designed for 750's for 25 years. So far they've not broken any more frequently then any of my other lights. Chances are you'll be fine but the lamp probably will get hotter than with the 300's and the switches will need to be replaced more often. Jim
-
Jim, I'm going to guess you're putting 1000 watt bulbs in Baby Solarspots. Those lights are designed for 1K lamps though many use a 750 watt lamp in the housing. If you look at 2K Junior Solarspots they are physically bigger with larger reflectors to match the bigger lamp and bigger ceramic socket for the larger, hotter lamp.
Joe, check the Arri specs or call Arri but I would not recommend putting in a lamp that's rated nearly 50% brighter than the housing's normal lamp.
-
Jim, I'm going to guess you're putting 1000 watt bulbs in Baby Solarspots. Those lights are designed for 1K lamps though many use a 750 watt lamp in the housing. If you look at 2K Junior Solarspots they are physically bigger with larger reflectors to match the bigger lamp and bigger ceramic socket for the larger, hotter lamp.
Joe, check the Arri specs or call Arri but I would not recommend putting in a lamp that's rated nearly 50% brighter than the housing's normal lamp.
Chris, I have both the 407 Baby Solarspots and it's predecessor, the 751 Baby Combo. After reading your response I had a look at the housings and read them for the first time in many years. You're correct about the 407's, they were made to accept bulbs from 500watts to 1000watts, the 751's list the brightest bulb at 750watts. I've been burning 1000watt bulbs in them for several years with no adverse effect but the wattage is less of a jump then Joe is considering for the Arri's. Jim
-
Joe, I'm not sure about Arri's but I've been putting 1k bulbs in Mole's designed for 750's for 25 years. So far they've not broken any more frequently then any of my other lights. Chances are you'll be fine but the lamp probably will get hotter than with the 300's and the switches will need to be replaced more often. Jim
James,
Mole is what i call meat locker technology.
Great stuff, but I'm positive some of their designs are 50 years old and I'm positive I've rented from Sony (Columbia's) electrical dept. lights that were used to shoot gone with the wind.
Studio's never, ever though anything away.
This grip rental cart was originally used in WW II to care ammo casings and is heavier than anything you'd ever put on it.
(http://www.russellrutherford.com/sony_lot_hollywood_script2.jpg)
Arri's are tough, I love em' but I'd be careful not to go too far without a a bunch of good fire extinguishers on board.
IMO
BC
-
Thanks all. I actually just called Arri and asked them. I was told that it is possible however the excess heat from a 420 bulb could possibly crack the fresnel lens.
-
What's the verdict on the ARRILITE PLUS http://www.arri.com/lighting/lighting_equipment/lampheads/tungsten_lampheads/arrilite_plus/
They got 750 and 2000 W in a small package ( sans fresnel though)
Just wondering
-
I use 200w bulbs in Arri 150's I use to notice the wire shielding melting inside the light. Arri sent me a roll of silicone heat rap to cover all the wires and it worked, and I don't have any problems.
-
Hello,
I've just bought one of these LED Fresnel lamps out of curiosity to see how well it works. I haven't received it yet so here's hoping it does the job.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/391024999019?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Also I use Dedo lights for all my car photography. Even though they are only 150 watt they are very bright actually on par with my 650 watt lamps on my Bowens flash.
http://www.dedolight.com/dedolight/default.php?la=0&pg=00000400030101&id=DLH4§ion=0
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/298701-REG/Dedolight_DLHDIM4U_DLH4_150W_Spotlight_with.html
Cheers
Simon
-
I've just bought one of these LED Fresnel lamps out of curiosity to see how well it works.
Looks interesting.
Please post a report once you've tried it.
-
Hi Peter,
I will keep you posted.
I should have bought this model as it is brighter and has a dimmer. Might look at this at a later date.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121508394068?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Cheers
Simon