Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: wmchauncey on January 15, 2015, 04:39:09 am

Title: A fit of sheer boredom
Post by: wmchauncey on January 15, 2015, 04:39:09 am
Glycerin droplet suspended from wine glass base...what say you all?

(http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l383/chauncey43/droplet-based-on-heart-orchids-copy-1.jpg) (http://s329.photobucket.com/user/chauncey43/media/droplet-based-on-heart-orchids-copy-1.jpg.html)
Title: Re: A fit of sheer boredom
Post by: mbaginy on January 15, 2015, 04:48:17 am
I like it, I like it!!!   :)

I wish my moments of boredom were crowned with such success!
Title: Re: A fit of sheer boredom
Post by: SanderKikkert on January 15, 2015, 05:01:41 am
Once you recognize boredom as fuel for creativity..you're there  :D :D

I like it a lot, Regards, Sander

EDIT: (forum is really wonky at the moment, I thought post hadn't gone through, probably my connection), looking one more time I would say that cropping out 1 or 2 cm from the lefthand side would balance the composition, imo there's too much dark space on that side now.
Title: Re: A fit of sheer boredom
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 15, 2015, 09:12:22 am
I like it, I like it!!!   :)

I wish my moments of boredom were crowned with such success!
+1.
Mike put it perfectly.
Title: Re: A fit of sheer boredom
Post by: Bob_B on January 15, 2015, 09:52:13 am
Oh yes! Very nice.
Title: Re: A fit of sheer boredom
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 15, 2015, 10:17:32 am
Nice. You can title it "Why."
Title: Re: A fit of sheer boredom
Post by: RSL on January 15, 2015, 10:19:51 am
Very nice, Chauncey. It's creative work.
Title: Re: A fit of sheer boredom
Post by: wmchauncey on January 15, 2015, 10:42:47 am
FWIW...I'm beginning to think of myself more of a digital designer rather than a photographer, mainly due to PS.     :-\

Your seeing three images blended together...could not get the SS high enough to freeze the droplet as I insist on shooting at ISO 100.
So I bended a virgin wine glass base with that of a syringe laying atop with droplet emerged and made the syringe go away, then moved
all that onto the original orchid background in the proper position as I screwed-up the initial background.

Title: Re: A fit of sheer boredom
Post by: RSL on January 15, 2015, 10:58:45 am
Like I said, it's really creative. But that syringe was lying.
Title: Re: A fit of sheer boredom
Post by: John R on January 15, 2015, 11:21:00 am
Very nice. And I like the secondary motif, where the shape of the glass is subtly replicated in the background.

JR
Title: Re: A fit of sheer boredom
Post by: mbaginy on January 15, 2015, 11:52:45 am
FWIW...I'm beginning to think of myself more of a digital designer rather than a photographer...

Ah Chauncey, did the Great Houdini let us in on the secret behind his illusions?  Or were they magic?

You’ve designed a very, very pleasing image.  Regardless of the hows and whys you’ve shared with us, my first impression remains.  I (still) like it!!  I (still) like it!!  :D

That’s a nice series of photos you’ve designed with those orchids!

And I understand how you’ve begun to think of yourself.  Digital photography has opened the gates to such wonderful possibilities!  Nothing wrong with applying these in the beautiful way you have.

Can’t wait for the next images!
Title: Re: A fit of sheer boredom
Post by: Isaac on January 15, 2015, 02:06:06 pm
I'm beginning to think of myself more of a digital designer rather than a photographer, mainly due to PS.

"Digital is different. Very different. (https://books.google.com/books?id=5VwUAAAAQBAJ&lpg=PP1&dq=the%20way%20of%20the%20digital%20photographer&pg=PA10#v=snippet&q=%22Digital%20is%20different.%22&f=false)"
Title: Re: A fit of sheer boredom
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 15, 2015, 07:39:24 pm
Wmchauncy, you have inspired me to start another thread, which I think I'll call "creations," in which I'll start off by posting some of my own experiments combining otherwise unrelated images. Maybe other bored photographers (and digital designers) will jump in, too.

-Eric
Title: Re: A fit of sheer boredom
Post by: wmchauncey on January 16, 2015, 03:58:05 am
It's 3:30AM and a bout of insomnia has me in it's grips giving me a chance to ponder the meaning of it all/why we're here/and all that other horse hockey.

 I posted this image on POTN, CiC, as well as here, it would be safe to say that the reception elsewhere has been similar to what you all have voiced.
These accolades are leaving me at a loss for words...a rarity to say the least.

 And therein lies the rub...the problem is that I don't recognize what you're seeing...I see nothing but areasonably pretty picture...a far cry from the offered feedback.

 Alas, maybe someday that sight will come. Meantime, I'll just depend on you folks...many thanks.
Title: Re: A fit of sheer boredom
Post by: JohnAONeill on January 29, 2015, 07:31:25 pm
Deadly shot! well done ;)