Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: ErikKaffehr on January 14, 2015, 04:45:09 pm

Title: A very dead fly… (example of focus stacking)
Post by: ErikKaffehr on January 14, 2015, 04:45:09 pm
Hi,

Here is a shot of a very dead fly I found previous week in the office.

(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Stacking/2015-01-14-22_24_18_ZS_PMax_small.jpg) (http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Stacking/2015-01-14-22_24_18_ZS_PMax.jpg)

Shot with a Photar 25/2.5 at f/5.6, 40 slices. Klick on the image for full size.

Best regards
Erik
Title: Re: A very dead fly…
Post by: Justinr on January 14, 2015, 05:05:17 pm
Hi,

Here is a shot of a very dead fly I found previous week in the office.

(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Stacking/2015-01-14-22_24_18_ZS_PMax_small.jpg) (http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Stacking/2015-01-14-22_24_18_ZS_PMax.jpg)

Shot with a Photar 25/2.5 at f/5.6, 40 slices.

Best regards
Erik

RIP.
Title: Re: A very dead fly… (example of focus stacking)
Post by: eronald on January 14, 2015, 06:10:31 pm
Yeah, that's a good Swottar lens :)

Edmund
Title: Re: A very dead fly… (example of focus stacking)
Post by: NancyP on January 14, 2015, 06:13:15 pm
I must be dim today - what?? (is that a pun?)
Title: Re: A very dead fly… (example of focus stacking)
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 14, 2015, 10:17:53 pm
I must be dim today - what?? (is that a pun?)

Erik used a Photar lens + fly-killing device is known as "flyswatter" = Swottar lens.  :)
Title: Re: A very dead fly… (example of focus stacking)
Post by: eronald on January 14, 2015, 10:34:16 pm
Erik used a Photar lens + fly-killing device is known as "flyswatter" = Swottar lens.  :)

The politically correct way to do this is to put the living fly in a plastic bag, and in the freezer for a few minutes, then you can remove the bag, take the pictures, and the corpse warms up and flies away :)

Edmund
Title: Re: A very dead fly… (example of focus stacking)
Post by: NancyP on January 14, 2015, 11:26:17 pm
Ok, so I AM particularly dim today.......
Title: Re: A very dead fly… (example of focus stacking)
Post by: eronald on January 15, 2015, 01:12:53 pm
Ok, so I AM particularly dim today.......

Q: How do you test a doctor for senile dementia?
A: You ask him to remind you of the first name of Dr. Alzheimer.

Edmund
Title: Re: A very dead fly… (example of focus stacking)
Post by: ErikKaffehr on January 15, 2015, 05:38:45 pm
Hi,

Two points.

1) I did not do the fly any harm, I found in ceased to exist state.

2) The image is mostly intended as a demo of focus stacking.

Hopefully, I can take some nice looking pictures of some nice looking creeps in the spring, using your suggested technique.

Best regards
Erik


The politically correct way to do this is to put the living fly in a plastic bag, and in the freezer for a few minutes, then you can remove the bag, take the pictures, and the corpse warms up and flies away :)

Edmund
Title: Re: A very dead fly… (example of focus stacking)
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 15, 2015, 05:48:45 pm
... I did not do the fly any harm, I found in ceased to exist state...

That doesn't excuse you (at least according to PETA)... have you tried to resuscitate it? Besides, it is wrong to profit from someone's misfortune. No living being should be harmed, or dead desecrated, for the sake of an experiment.  ;)
Title: Re: A very dead fly… (example of focus stacking)
Post by: rpsphoto on January 15, 2015, 06:24:46 pm
That doesn't excuse you (at least according to PETA)... have you tried to resuscitate it? Besides, it is wrong to profit from someone's misfortune. No living being should be harmed, or dead desecrated, for the sake of an experiment.  ;)

Agreed...this is shameless exploitation! What next, photos of the homeless? Can't we get back to shots of flowers and puppies?
Title: Re: A very dead fly… (example of focus stacking)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 15, 2015, 07:46:28 pm
I'm sure Slobodan can post for our edification the correct way to perform CPR on a dead fly.  :D

Impressive image, Erik.

Title: Re: A very dead fly… (example of focus stacking)
Post by: NancyP on January 15, 2015, 09:09:57 pm
That's easy, eronald. Alois (Aloysius) Alzheimer - a pathologist. I should know about a few of the late 19th century and early 20th century eminences in my own speciality.
Title: Re: A very dead fly… (example of focus stacking)
Post by: eronald on January 15, 2015, 09:21:53 pm
That's easy, eronald. Alois (Aloysius) Alzheimer - a pathologist. I should know about a few of the late 19th century and early 20th century eminences in my own speciality.

I always wondered about these "appropriate" names, like the Lumière (light) brothers or in this case Alzheimer's disease which sounds like "Alt's Heim" disease (old people's home).

Edmund
Title: Re: A very dead fly… (example of focus stacking)
Post by: Alistair on January 15, 2015, 10:49:41 pm

1) I did not do the fly any harm, I found in ceased to exist state.




That fly's not dead, he's only sleepin'
Title: Re: A very dead fly… (example of focus stacking)
Post by: Jonathan Wienke on January 15, 2015, 11:09:20 pm
No living being should be harmed, or dead desecrated, for the sake of an experiment.  ;)

So I guess my experiments at the frog pond seeing how high I could launch a swimming frog by shooting under it with an AR-15 would not be PETA approved. Rats.
Title: Re: A very dead fly… (example of focus stacking)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 16, 2015, 12:18:26 am
... Rats.
Did you get PETA's approval for using that word?
Title: Re: A very dead fly… (example of focus stacking)
Post by: eronald on January 16, 2015, 01:17:07 am
For an encore, Erik, will you serve up a croakroach?
:)

Edmund
Title: Re: A very dead fly… (example of focus stacking)
Post by: ErikKaffehr on January 16, 2015, 01:28:40 am
Hi Edmund,

You mean "cockroach"? Now, I don't think so, we don't have them at office and they are far to large for my intended purpose.

Hopefully, I can take some nice pictures of "Coccinella magnifica" in the summer, but those nice insects will be handled very carefully and released unharmed.


Best regards
Erik


For an encore, Erik, will you serve up a croakroach?
:)

Edmund
Title: Re: A very dead fly… (example of focus stacking)
Post by: AFairley on January 16, 2015, 10:58:00 am
At the risk of being non-PC, and recalling an old non-PC phrase, "The only good fly is a dead fly."
Title: Re: A very dead fly… (example of focus stacking)
Post by: ErikKaffehr on January 16, 2015, 11:39:39 am
OK,

This was a good fly. May be not a good picture of a good fly. Hopefully a good illustration of a technique capturing small creatures…

Best regards
Erik

At the risk of being non-PC, and recalling an old non-PC phrase, "The only good fly is a dead fly."
Title: Re: A very dead fly… (example of focus stacking)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 16, 2015, 01:02:27 pm
I rather like eronald's term "croakroach." I take it to mean a dead cockroach (i.e., one that has "croaked".)
Title: Re: A very dead fly… (example of focus stacking)
Post by: eronald on January 16, 2015, 01:31:44 pm
I rather like eronald's term "croakroach." I take it to mean a dead cockroach (i.e., one that has "croaked".)


Eric,

Glad to see you enjoy our show here on the Pun channel :)

Edmund
Title: Re: A very dead fly… (example of focus stacking)
Post by: elf on January 23, 2015, 03:17:58 am
That lens doesn't look particularly sharp.  Is it better at longer distances expensive?
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/etfrench/BeePMax3111-3663_ice.jpg)
Title: Re: A very dead fly… (example of focus stacking)
Post by: ErikKaffehr on January 23, 2015, 06:47:08 pm
Hi,

I stopped down the Photar to f/5.6 for this image. At f/3.5 it still shows a lot of coma. With extension the f/5.6 is probably more like F/16, so diffraction comes into play. I guess that depth is around 6 mm, and 40 slices at f/5.6 may be to few to cover depth.

many variables in that equation…

Best regards
Erik

That lens doesn't look particularly sharp.  Is it better at longer distances expensive?
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/etfrench/BeePMax3111-3663_ice.jpg)