Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: purtypitcher on January 12, 2015, 12:13:55 pm

Title: Cannot change image ratio when exporting
Post by: purtypitcher on January 12, 2015, 12:13:55 pm
Using LR 5.7 and Mac OSX 10.8.5, I can't get LR to change the file perspective when exporting. Under Image Sizing I am am selecting Dimensions. No matter what numbers I put in, the exported file remains in the same pixel ratio as the original file. Have tried using "inches" and also "pixels". Have tried exporting as TIFF and PSD. The image is resized to match one of the dimensions I enter, but the other dimension remains in the original ratio. What am I missing?
Title: Re: Cannot change image ratio when exporting
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 12, 2015, 12:54:36 pm
Crop to the desired ratio before exporting. The export function is simply not designed for it, nor it should be.

Welcome to LuLa, btw ;)
Title: Re: Cannot change image ratio when exporting
Post by: mcbroomf on January 12, 2015, 05:39:57 pm
The way you word your post it seems like you want to warp the image, eg squeeze or stretch it, not crop it.  Is that right?  If so you can't do this in LR, you'll need Photoshop, just uncheck the constrain ratio box in the file size window, or use one of the warp tools.
Title: Re: Cannot change image ratio when exporting
Post by: eliedinur on January 12, 2015, 05:50:32 pm
LR's way of preventing your (accidentally) doing something stupid, like increasing or reducing the two image dimensions non-proportunately and thus causing distortions; so if you want photos of models with Barbie figures or to take revenge on your mother-in-law by making her look fat, you will have to use another program that doesn't lock the aspect ratio when resampling.
Title: Re: Cannot change image ratio when exporting
Post by: purtypitcher on January 12, 2015, 07:32:43 pm
OK, thanks. I was thinking that LR could, yes, stretch/squeeze images upon export. Back to Photoshop!
Title: Re: Cannot change image ratio when exporting
Post by: keithrsmith on January 13, 2015, 03:21:09 am
You can do it in LRMogrify.
http://www.photographers-toolbox.com/products/lrmogrify2.php

keith
Title: Re: Cannot change image ratio when exporting
Post by: PhotoEcosse on January 13, 2015, 05:28:28 am
Just developing that line a wee bit farther.

Often I do not want to warp or squeeze an image but, upon export, I would like to have the facility to specify a width and a height dimension and have LR choose whichever was critical, adjusting the other to maintain proportions.

For example, many club competitions want PDI files that suit the projector resolution, e.g. max 1400 pixels wide and max 1050 pixels high. I never crop my images to suit those proportions - my proportions could be anything from letterbox landscape to postbox portrait. If there proportions are extreme in one direction or the other, I can visually assess whether I am going to specify the long edge or the short edge pixels on export but, for those that are round about the "normal" proportions, it would be useful to specify 1400 x 1050 pixels and allow Lightroom to chose which of those to apply, adjusting the other to suit. There is nothing worse than exporting an image to discover that it is 1400 x 1090 or 1420 x 1050 and have to go through the export process again to correct it.
Title: Re: Cannot change image ratio when exporting
Post by: keithrsmith on January 13, 2015, 06:13:30 am
Lr export will do that fit for you just chose resize to fit.

LR mogrify can be used to add a background if needed.

keith
Title: Re: Cannot change image ratio when exporting
Post by: mlewis on January 13, 2015, 08:06:25 am
it would be useful to specify 1400 x 1050 pixels and allow Lightroom to chose which of those to apply, adjusting the other to suit.
You can do that in LR.  In the export resize options there is an option where you can specify both horizontal and vertical sizes and LR will resize the image to fit in a box of the size you specified.  So if you specified 1920x1080 all the exported images would be no wider than 1920 pixels and no taller than 1080 pixels.
Title: Re: Cannot change image ratio when exporting
Post by: purtypitcher on January 13, 2015, 01:16:55 pm
Keith, thanks for that LRMogrify tip. That is exactly what I needed to be able to resize my images with variable aspect ratios.

Don
Title: Re: Cannot change image ratio when exporting
Post by: Hans Kruse on January 13, 2015, 04:44:47 pm
Just developing that line a wee bit farther.

Often I do not want to warp or squeeze an image but, upon export, I would like to have the facility to specify a width and a height dimension and have LR choose whichever was critical, adjusting the other to maintain proportions.

For example, many club competitions want PDI files that suit the projector resolution, e.g. max 1400 pixels wide and max 1050 pixels high. I never crop my images to suit those proportions - my proportions could be anything from letterbox landscape to postbox portrait. If there proportions are extreme in one direction or the other, I can visually assess whether I am going to specify the long edge or the short edge pixels on export but, for those that are round about the "normal" proportions, it would be useful to specify 1400 x 1050 pixels and allow Lightroom to chose which of those to apply, adjusting the other to suit. There is nothing worse than exporting an image to discover that it is 1400 x 1090 or 1420 x 1050 and have to go through the export process again to correct it.

If I understand you correctly you want the maximum size of an exported image within a certain pixel constraint like e.g. 1600 width and 1200 hight. Lightroom does that like the following and without changing the aspect ratio.

Title: Re: Cannot change image ratio when exporting
Post by: PhotoEcosse on January 14, 2015, 04:56:53 am
You can do that in LR.  In the export resize options there is an option where you can specify both horizontal and vertical sizes and LR will resize the image to fit in a box of the size you specified.  So if you specified 1920x1080 all the exported images would be no wider than 1920 pixels and no taller than 1080 pixels.

Thanks for that. I had made an incorrect assumption about the Resize to Fit function. (assumed it would squash image to fit the full specified dimensions). I have now tried it and it does exactly what I want.

Thanks to other who also pointed out the same thing.