Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 10, 2015, 04:25:39 pm

Title: Aqua Building, Chicago - B&W Version
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 10, 2015, 04:25:39 pm
I recently reprocessed the shot I already posted in color earlier (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=94868.msg774947#msg774947):

(https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8561/16214889136_c5245f1bb5_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/qGRxC5)
Aqua (https://flic.kr/p/qGRxC5) by Slobodan Blagojevic (https://www.flickr.com/people/20843597@N05/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Aqua Building, Chicago - B&W Version
Post by: John R on January 10, 2015, 04:37:52 pm
I looked at both, never having seen the colour version. The colour looks bold and futuristic. The bw, with superb tonal gradations, is somewhat cerebral and makes me stop and think about the intricate pattern and what it may mean. Excellent work.

JR
Title: Re: Aqua Building, Chicago - B&W Version
Post by: mbaginy on January 10, 2015, 04:40:44 pm
Great!  I like both b&w and color versions, can't really say which I'd prefer.  Would love to see them printed large.
Title: Re: Aqua Building, Chicago - B&W Version
Post by: Tony Jay on January 10, 2015, 04:44:24 pm
Both versions are excellent.
If I was pressed to make a choice I would go with the B&W, but only by a whisker.

I really hope that you will make extravagantly large prints of both!

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Aqua Building, Chicago - B&W Version
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 10, 2015, 05:16:02 pm
I looked at both, never having seen the colour version. The colour looks bold and futuristic. The bw, with superb tonal gradations, is somewhat cerebral and makes me stop and think about the intricate pattern and what it may mean. Excellent work.

JR

Thanks. Your reaction reminds me of my mantra, that b&w conversions are rarely the best if one simply uses a "convert to b&w" button. In other words, more often than not, b&w conversions require a completely different approach from color version, resulting in a completely different look and feel in the end.

P.S. A 36" x 36" color canvas shall be delivered next week.
Title: Re: Aqua Building, Chicago - B&W Version
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on January 10, 2015, 05:17:24 pm
That's a stunning abstract, Slobodan.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Aqua Building, Chicago - B&W Version
Post by: RSL on January 10, 2015, 06:21:22 pm
+1
Title: Re: Aqua Building, Chicago - B&W Version
Post by: fdisilvestro on January 10, 2015, 08:05:09 pm
b&w conversions are rarely the best if one simply uses a "convert to b&w" button. In other words, more often than not, b&w conversions require a completely different approach from color version, resulting in a completely different look and feel in the end.


Couldn't agree more!

Great image btw, I like both versions
Title: Re: Aqua Building, Chicago - B&W Version
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 10, 2015, 09:22:01 pm
Great image both ways, but I especially love the B&W interpretation.
Title: Re: Aqua Building, Chicago - B&W Version
Post by: armand on January 10, 2015, 09:26:38 pm
Quite stunning!

I'll be in Chicago on Feb 14 for half a day or so (photography dedicated to kill some time before I pickup up somebody from the airport) and I was thinking to go to the orchid expo but this might deserve some love.
Title: Re: Aqua Building, Chicago - B&W Version
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on January 10, 2015, 11:36:25 pm
No contest - the black & white is outstanding.
Title: Re: Aqua Building, Chicago - B&W Version
Post by: Bob_B on January 11, 2015, 10:32:14 am
Masterful b/w imagery!
Title: Re: Aqua Building, Chicago - B&W Version
Post by: langier on January 11, 2015, 12:44:49 pm
Always great work, Slobodan!

Screcan novo godina, my friend!
Title: Re: Aqua Building, Chicago - B&W Version
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 11, 2015, 02:04:54 pm
Always great work, Slobodan!

Screcan novo godina, my friend!

Hvala, Larry, takodje!
Title: Re: Aqua Building, Chicago - B&W Version
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on January 12, 2015, 03:15:05 pm
Very, very nice.

Architectural abstract work has become is your forte, excellent!

Hvala za postavljanje.

Da li je moj srpski redu ?

Dave
Title: Re: Aqua Building, Chicago - B&W Version
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 12, 2015, 03:30:58 pm
Very, very nice.

Architectural abstract work has become is your forte, excellent!

Hvala za postavljanje.

Da li je moj srpski redu ?

Dave

Who shall I thank for your excellent Serbian? Google Translate or perhaps pillow talk of a Serbian girlfriend?  ;D
Title: Re: Aqua Building, Chicago - B&W Version
Post by: Iluvmycam on January 12, 2015, 06:39:41 pm
I recently reprocessed the shot I already posted in color earlier (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=94868.msg774947#msg774947):

(https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8561/16214889136_c5245f1bb5_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/qGRxC5)
Aqua (https://flic.kr/p/qGRxC5) by Slobodan Blagojevic (https://www.flickr.com/people/20843597@N05/), on Flickr

Nice!
Title: Re: Aqua Building, Chicago - B&W Version
Post by: seamus finn on January 13, 2015, 04:55:20 am
Both are stunning but I think I'm veering towards the BW version.
Title: Re: Aqua Building, Chicago - B&W Version
Post by: shawnino on January 13, 2015, 01:51:35 pm
That's a stunning abstract, Slobodan.

Jeremy

Agreed...and so abstract it's quite amazing to me that it's an actual thing, and not just computer-pixels.
Well done.
Title: Re: Aqua Building, Chicago - B&W Version
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 13, 2015, 02:18:08 pm
Agreed...and so abstract it's quite amazing to me that it's an actual thing, and not just computer-pixels.
Well done.

Part of the attractiveness of this image is in the confusion: is it real or not? It questions our perception of reality. In fact, apart from the sky darkened in post, the rest is pretty much as-is: white balconies with blue-reflecting glass. The shading in the lower right part is a shadow of a neighboring building. Perhaps this image helps, from a different angle and with only minor adjustments:
Title: Re: Aqua Building, Chicago - B&W Version
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on January 15, 2015, 05:50:26 am
Who shall I thank for your excellent Serbian? Google Translate or perhaps pillow talk of a Serbian girlfriend?  ;D

I don't think I am allowed to have a Serbian girfriend, but leave it with me for a moment while I check with the missus  :D

Dave

[Update]

Apparently the answer is - Nooooooooo!  >:(
Title: Re: Aqua Building, Chicago - B&W Version
Post by: Hans Kruse on January 15, 2015, 08:56:54 am
Slobodan,

The b&w is in my view more aesthetically pleasing. I like it very much. Wonderful photo of amazing architecture.