Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Mike Sellers on January 07, 2015, 09:03:42 am

Title: Kodak Metallic Inkjet Paper
Post by: Mike Sellers on January 07, 2015, 09:03:42 am
Has anyone used this paper? How does it compare to the other brands?
Mike
Title: Re: Kodak Metallic Inkjet Paper
Post by: Phil Indeblanc on January 07, 2015, 03:59:02 pm
I've used kodak and Fuji metallics when having output done at A&I . They look very nice.

While I have not used Kodaks inkjet version, I would think these compare....
 I have printed on my printers at the time with HP and  Lexjet. I also have used Epsons version. They are all nice, with subtle differences. I think HP had the most metallic reflective look, and Lexjet had least. Depends on the characteristics you want. I still have some of those papers in small and large sheets.
Title: Re: Kodak Metallic Inkjet Paper
Post by: davidh202 on January 09, 2015, 10:17:24 am
If you are trying to emulate the look of chemically processed Kodak Endura Metallic, it doesn't compare at all. I got samples of Kodak Inkjet Metallic as soon as it was released (printing on Epson7900 with Kodaks profiles),and not impressed at all  ! Now as compared to all the other Inkjet metallics it is OK . It has been said that all the others are manufactured by one company, (I forget which) and re branded.
Title: Re: Kodak Metallic Inkjet Paper
Post by: Ken Doo on January 09, 2015, 10:59:40 am
Probably from Mitsubishi.

I think there are now a couple/few metallic offerings that are starting to appear with a heavier weight---not sure if those share the same print quality or are from the same source.

ken
Title: Re: Kodak Metallic Inkjet Paper
Post by: Mike Sellers on January 09, 2015, 11:10:35 am
How do you protect the print surface without ruining the metallic qualities?
Title: Re: Kodak Metallic Inkjet Paper
Post by: Phil Indeblanc on January 09, 2015, 11:22:17 am
The pebbly textures I have are very different than the Lexjet. It is a different finish. It's less sheen and less metallic looking. The others I have are like plastic with coating
Title: Re: Kodak Metallic Inkjet Paper
Post by: Wayne Fox on January 09, 2015, 04:37:13 pm
How do you protect the print surface without ruining the metallic qualities?
maybe face mounted?
Title: Re: Kodak Metallic Inkjet Paper
Post by: Some Guy on January 09, 2015, 05:18:20 pm
How do you protect the print surface without ruining the metallic qualities?

I run the metallic print through a printer with gloss optimizer only.  Cone sells the stuff called gloss optimizer and used for their piezography inks.  HP has some GO setup too in some of their printers.

Once it has dried, I use "Renaissance Wax" applied with a cotton ball over the GO surface, and buff it off with a soft terrycloth towel.  It enhances the gloss a bit and makes the blacks appear darker and the sheen shines through.  The wax can be stubborn to remove on some unprotected surfaces and even darken some, but using a GO over-coating that hasn't  been an issue.  Does take a lot of elbow grease and sometimes a second coat too.

I've seen better vibrancy with the dye ink, but that ink has faded in a matter of days in sunlight so I gave up using them on metallic and went back to pigment plus GO.

One that looked good in metallic was this one I have framed for a mining clothing outfit.  G.O. + waxing.  Some work, and some don't with metallic.

(http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/141221/17/54977817ca0d5.jpg)

SG
Title: Re: Kodak Metallic Inkjet Paper
Post by: Phil Indeblanc on January 09, 2015, 07:19:42 pm
I don't know...I never seen it with a coating, but for some reason I think it might kill the very high contrast metalic look? I think I will give it a shot soon. I have a Gloss Ehnacer on the HP printer, so I should give it a go...I don't have Kodak, but do have the HP, Epson, and Lexjets metalic flavors to try. I will try all 3.
Title: Re: Kodak Metallic Inkjet Paper
Post by: Phil Indeblanc on January 09, 2015, 08:33:28 pm
I pulled out one from HP called "Premium Glossy Film". It really looks nice and rish...same "stuff" characteristics as the metalics I have.

I had to use a Proofing gloss as the printer's icc setting, thinking that is the slickest surface to print with(?)...or I could have picked the Transparency Film option, I guess I could try that. I ran it with Whole page gloss enhancer.
I didn't profile the paper yet either.

It really has a nice "silver halide" like dimension to the finish of B&W prints, particularly in the very light almost what areas. That part looks like it has depth to it... Really nice.
I noticed this as I had a bw print I had made under the box of sheets from over a year ago.

I'm going to run another without gloss. I think it might have a stronger reflectiveness.
Title: Re: Kodak Metallic Inkjet Paper
Post by: Phil Indeblanc on January 09, 2015, 09:09:59 pm
I did the print without GE, and they are evenly the same in all aspects, except when I was looking at it under my light source, the one without the coating was more like a mirror reflection image of my light, while the GE looked diffused in more areas. If you move the sheet around there are plenty angles and places where both have a mirror look. But looking at the same spot under the same angle it was diffused. Almost acting like an anti-glare. Otherwise 99.9% the same.
Having said this, I think once the sheet is mounted, it would be more apples to apples inspection, as the slightest difference made a splash of difference in comparing. I did lay them down, but they are not flat, so it made a difference.
*This is just my visual observation.