Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: churly on January 06, 2015, 06:07:47 pm

Title: Frost
Post by: churly on January 06, 2015, 06:07:47 pm
A bit of fun with frost. All 3 are focus stacks with a 85 mm macro.
Chuck

Title: Re: Frost
Post by: BobDavid on January 06, 2015, 06:25:23 pm
Excellent!
Title: Re: Frost
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 06, 2015, 06:37:19 pm
Wow! Neat!
Title: Re: Frost
Post by: armand on January 06, 2015, 07:51:04 pm
Awesome! I need to get a proper macro.
The last looks that it's out of focus, is it the right version attached?
Title: Re: Frost
Post by: Bob_B on January 06, 2015, 08:28:12 pm
Very cool! Pun intended. I've been in love with fractal patterns (such as frost and snowflakes) forever. I hope I am not asking too much, but would you offer more about how you did these?

   Bob
Title: Re: Frost
Post by: sdwilsonsct on January 07, 2015, 03:26:07 pm
Very nice colours and lots of detail to ponder.

Why focus stack? Are these not on glass, on one plane?
Title: Re: Frost
Post by: churly on January 07, 2015, 05:38:26 pm
Thanks for having a look guys.

Armand - yes the 3rd one is a bit soft.  I'll have another look at it.

Bob - Nothing special at all.  These are just shot on the window of our greenhouse.  The trick is to get the right conditions to produce the nice crystals.  See comment below.

Scott - The problem with this type of shot is finding a pleasing composition and then getting everything lined up with the focal plane parallel to the window when very small movements of the camera change the composition a lot.  Rather than fight that. I find it easier to get a nice composition and then focus stack.  I've missed too many going the other route.  At 130 mm effective focal length (on a APS-C sensor) the dof is very small.

Chuck
Title: Re: Frost
Post by: SanderKikkert on January 07, 2015, 05:54:55 pm
I find #2 very pleasing with the background colours as a bonus. Nice one Chuck!
Title: Re: Frost
Post by: shawnino on January 08, 2015, 01:05:53 pm
Great work.
I really, really like the last one.