Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 04, 2015, 04:37:22 pm

Title: january 2 - Plum Island
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 04, 2015, 04:37:22 pm
On January 2 I returned to one of my favorite winter beaches. One in color and B&W, the others B&W only.
Title: Re: january 2 - Plum Island
Post by: Bruce Cox on January 04, 2015, 07:35:47 pm
I like 1654.
Title: Re: january 2 - Plum Island
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 04, 2015, 08:01:12 pm
Thanks, Bruce.
Title: Re: january 2 - Plum Island
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on January 04, 2015, 08:24:55 pm
A beautiful set, Eric.  The first two and the final one are especially satisfying.
Title: Re: january 2 - Plum Island
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 04, 2015, 11:37:15 pm
Thanks, Rajan.
I can't get to Iceland or to Goa as often as I would like, so I stick with places closer to home.   ;)
Title: Re: january 2 - Plum Island
Post by: petermfiore on January 05, 2015, 12:15:44 am
Hi Eric,

I like the last two vey much... a wonderful touch of the unexpected. Great job.

Peter
Title: Re: january 2 - Plum Island
Post by: John R on January 05, 2015, 02:26:10 am
Nice work. How come I wasn't invited, I love to photograph ripples in the sand. Only avid photographers seem to notice them. These could easily be a fine set for the abstract thread.

JR
Title: Re: january 2 - Plum Island
Post by: RSL on January 05, 2015, 07:00:24 am
Lovely stuff, Eric. Very nice.
Title: Re: january 2 - Plum Island
Post by: sdwilsonsct on January 05, 2015, 09:51:28 am
I especially like the movement in #4.
Title: Re: january 2 - Plum Island
Post by: Bob_B on January 05, 2015, 10:29:21 am
All four are very pleasing, but I especially like the third one.

   Bob
Title: Re: january 2 - Plum Island
Post by: mal mcilwraith on January 05, 2015, 02:50:53 pm
I find the bottom two images very satisfying however the first two might have been improved by adopting a camera position which would have presented the ripples running diagonally across the picture frame.

Cheers

Mal
Title: Re: january 2 - Plum Island
Post by: John R on January 05, 2015, 04:12:29 pm
I find the bottom two images very satisfying however the first two might have been improved by adopting a camera position which would have presented the ripples running diagonally across the picture frame.

Cheers

Mal
That a good observation Mal, but I often find that I moved by light more than the design, so I could end up with a composition not quite what I wanted, but I have managed to capture the light as I wanted. So what often happens, is, if you alter your POV only slightly, it often loses that quality of light you were after. Other times, everything falls into place; I find this process is made more easy by the use of a zoom lens, where you often do not have to alter your position.

JR
Title: Re: january 2 - Plum Island
Post by: churly on January 05, 2015, 06:20:45 pm
Thanks for posting these Eric.  If I had to choose I'd go for 3&4 because of the less constrained form. I'd be glad to see more of these.
Chuck
Title: Re: january 2 - Plum Island
Post by: mal mcilwraith on January 05, 2015, 07:42:31 pm
That a good observation Mal, but I often find that I moved by light more than the design, so I could end up with a composition not quite what I wanted, but I have managed to capture the light as I wanted. So what often happens, is, if you alter your POV only slightly, it often loses that quality of light you were after. Other times, everything falls into place; I find this process is made more easy by the use of a zoom lens, where you often do not have to alter your position.

JR

Hi John

I guess getting a different point of view is at least one of the purposes that this forum serves - I for one accept that each person will have different aspirations when they turn their camera upon a subject - in your case the quality of light is of great importance - must admit I am still grappling with letting go of the form/design and running with the light - thank you for reminding me.

Mal