Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 04, 2015, 04:32:34 pm

Title: January 1 -- Ice
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 04, 2015, 04:32:34 pm
I haven't posted images for a while, so I hope to do better in 2015.
Here are some abstract ice formations I found on January 1, first in color.
Title: Re: January 1 -- Ice
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 04, 2015, 04:34:06 pm
And here they are converted to B&W.
Title: Re: January 1 -- Ice
Post by: francois on January 05, 2015, 05:23:22 am
A good way to start a new year. I like them all but the last one (either B&W or color) is my favorite.
Title: Re: January 1 -- Ice
Post by: RSL on January 05, 2015, 07:02:09 am
Fascinating, Eric. When I first looked at them I thought you were shooting from an airplane.
Title: Re: January 1 -- Ice
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 05, 2015, 02:16:11 pm
There is an old stone wall running along the edge of a boggy area that might have been a cranberry bog many years ago. The wall has sunk over the years and now rises only a few inches above the level of the ground around it. After recent heavy rains and then a deep freeze, the wall was completely submerged in ice.

Much of the nearby ice was crystal clear, but each stone in the wall had a ghostly-looking layer of milky ice over it, which you see in the third photo. The second photo shows one of the very few that actually rose above the surface of the ice.

The scene was just as spooky and other-worldly as the photos.

Thanks for the comments.

Title: Re: January 1 -- Ice
Post by: mal mcilwraith on January 05, 2015, 02:54:40 pm
very appealing images - each one like an abstract painting - ah mother nature does it again.

Mal
Title: Re: January 1 -- Ice
Post by: churly on January 05, 2015, 06:24:29 pm
Well composed.  Not always easy with this kind of shot.  I think I prefer the colour versions because I feel like they retain the quality of the light a bit better.
Chuck