Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Todd Suttles on January 03, 2015, 10:25:22 pm

Title: Tusqueetee Trees
Post by: Todd Suttles on January 03, 2015, 10:25:22 pm
Critique on what I did with this one would be appreciated. good/bad..
thanks, t
Title: Re: Tusqueetee Trees
Post by: armand on January 03, 2015, 10:35:36 pm
I'm thinking you should give that swing a little more importance.
Title: Re: Tusqueetee Trees
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on January 04, 2015, 04:47:59 am
I'm thinking you should give that swing a little more importance.

I agree - or remove it altogether, as this seems to be a photograph of some rather lovely trees. I'd also be a lot less heavy-handed with the toning.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Tusqueetee Trees
Post by: stamper on January 04, 2015, 05:55:45 am
I don't know if the swing was a little off kilter. However if it was or wasn't I would straighten it up because it looks as if it is falling out of the frame. I certainly wouldn't take it out because it nicely adds something to the image that gives balance. Nice processing. As to the toning then I assume that was your vision and I wouldn't criticise it.
Title: Re: Tusqueetee Trees
Post by: Todd Suttles on January 04, 2015, 10:17:51 am
I'm thinking you should give that swing a little more importance.
I agree - or remove it altogether, as this seems to be a photograph of some rather lovely trees. I'd also be a lot less heavy-handed with the toning.

Jeremy
I don't know if the swing was a little off kilter. However if it was or wasn't I would straighten it up because it looks as if it is falling out of the frame. I certainly wouldn't take it out because it nicely adds something to the image that gives balance. Nice processing. As to the toning then I assume that was your vision and I wouldn't criticise it.
THANKS GUYS, All appreciated and agreed; I was 49/50 on toning at all, i liked it pure bw before, like this  -?   ....much better (I think).
Title: Re: Tusqueetee Trees
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on January 04, 2015, 10:20:46 am
THANKS GUYS, All appreciated and agreed; I was 49/50 on toning at all, i liked it pure bw before, like this  -?

Well, I think that's much better. I prefer toning to be a lot more subtle; but as stamper says, it's really your vision that counts.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Tusqueetee Trees
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 04, 2015, 11:06:22 am
I would keep the toning (ok, maybe slightly less intense), keep the initial image slant, and remove the swing completely.
Title: Re: Tusqueetee Trees
Post by: Todd Suttles on January 04, 2015, 04:22:17 pm
I would keep the toning (ok, maybe slightly less intense), keep the initial image slant, and remove the swing completely.

Vr 03; swing gone, 50%tone; back to full frame, no crop. I liked the swing until I saw it without. The pot is enough to balance and keep me from following the water out of the frame. I think.
Title: Re: Tusqueetee Trees
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 04, 2015, 04:41:33 pm
Third try is the winner, IMHO. The trees are gorgeous, and the swing was irrelevant.
Title: Re: Tusqueetee Trees
Post by: RSL on January 04, 2015, 05:08:59 pm
Much more interesting with the swing.
Title: Re: Tusqueetee Trees
Post by: armand on January 04, 2015, 05:17:32 pm
I maintain my first thought, the shot would be better with the swing a little more central; the last version is a nice picture and that's about it.
Title: Re: Tusqueetee Trees
Post by: stamper on January 05, 2015, 03:35:39 am
Much more interesting with the swing.

Agreed.
Title: Re: Tusqueetee Trees
Post by: brandtb on January 05, 2015, 12:23:28 pm
Todd...there are lot of generic and non-interesting "things" in the frame and not any good elements really...what you have is basically an excercise in "toning" and toning itself does not always a good image make /B
Title: Re: Tusqueetee Trees
Post by: Todd Suttles on January 05, 2015, 12:38:21 pm
Thanks everyone who took the time to contribute and help. I learned a lot about how to look at an image. much appreciated..... t